Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Melobourne

Adelaide or Melobourne

Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:48 am
Just Joined

SJW1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Melobourne

Hi All,

I am hoping you can help me with some information about both cities. I have been offered secondment for 3 months to one of the above cities and I am struggling to choose where to go. I will be going on my own as a 26/27 single woman with a long term partner staying at home, it is only for 3 months.

Any information about pros and cons being a single woman in either of these cities would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Melobourne

Originally Posted by SJW1
Hi All,

I am hoping you can help me with some information about both cities. I have been offered secondment for 3 months to one of the above cities and I am struggling to choose where to go. I will be going on my own as a 26/27 single woman with a long term partner staying at home, it is only for 3 months.

Any information about pros and cons being a single woman in either of these cities would be appreciated.

Thanks
Young, short period of 3 months, Melbourne. Plenty to do to fill 3 months of weekends, you dont have to worry about issues like house prices, so go for it, adelaide is a lot smaller, and if you want a visit its only 8 hours ( boring ) drive away.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Melbourne. Although, what are you looking for out of a short 3 months?

I take it you'll be busy doing a job in new surroundings and the main focus will be on getting to grips with the intricacies of the new office. You'll probably find the 3 months absolutely races past and you may not have a great deal of time to do things. For a younger person I would say Melbourne has more to offer for the short period of time you'll be there. More nightlight and more cosmopolitan I guess.

You can always look out for cheap flights to other cities whilst you're there.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

SJW1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Still Game
+1 for Melbourne. Although, what are you looking for out of a short 3 months?

I take it you'll be busy doing a job in new surroundings and the main focus will be on getting to grips with the intricacies of the new office. You'll probably find the 3 months absolutely races past and you may not have a great deal of time to do things. For a younger person I would say Melbourne has more to offer for the short period of time you'll be there. More nightlight and more cosmopolitan I guess.

You can always look out for cheap flights to other cities whilst you're there.
Thanks for your reply. Initially it is just a 3 month secondment to see if there is a business need for me to recruit out there. My gut is telling me Adelaide as it is smaller and I will be on my own, but everyone I have spoken with (family and friends) have said Melbourne as it is a lot like London.

I suppose I am just confused as I don't want to make the wrong decision as it will be a long three months otherwise!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Initially it is just a 3 month secondment to see if there is a business need for me to recruit out there. My gut is telling me Adelaide as it is smaller and I will be on my own, but everyone I have spoken with (family and friends) have said Melbourne as it is a lot like London.

I suppose I am just confused as I don't want to make the wrong decision as it will be a long three months otherwise!
I know what you mean, having undertaken secondment in different countries for 3, 5 and months respectively and I can tell you - it will fly by! Seriously!

Have a think about what you want to do - culture / beach / restaurants / night life / sport etc... what is it you want to do on the weekend. If you want a more chilled laid back quieter place with nice beaches - Adelaide is probably for you. It totally depends on what you want to do with your spare time. Where will you be staying, what sort of commute will you have over these three months?

If you feel like you make the wrong decision, then it's a VERY very short period of time, believe me.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Both are lovely cities but Melbourne is bigger and, therefore, will have more to do. BTW, Melbourne city-centre is very spacious: roads and pavements, unlike London. I live in Melbourne but could happily live in Adelaide but for one thing! I look at the weather map and during the summer Adelaide seems to get a lot more 30+ (and 40+) days than Melbourne. I was the wimp that went to Turkey, etc., and needed to spend time inside acclimatising to 30C, unlike the wife and kids. Now I find 30C very comfortable. If you think you will have a problem with the heat, go Melbourne. Besides, living in Melbourne is instant kudos!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also consider when this secondment might be. Winter in Melbourne isn't fun - although they consider -2C to a record low temps. If it's summer then Adelaide does have better beach access than Melbourne.

Melbourne attempts to be 'cosmopolitan', with lots of people trying to appear more than they are. Adelaide is more laid back. That does mean there is more going on in Melbourne, but also more d*ckheads.

Oh, and Melbourne is easier to fly to other places (as you may well want to do).
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Adelaide at the weekend for the first time. Spent most time in the city and just to the North of the centre which were very nice. .... but very quiet.

The beach was a bit weird. Just a big long stretch of non descript sand. There was a nice little area on the beach, name escapes me, but it had some nice pubs and restaurants.

I liked the weather. Sunny and no humidity. Not sure how that works when it hits 40 degrees in summer or the cold of winter.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Again when plays a part. Adelaide comes alive late feb to early April with festivals, fringe, WOMAD, CLIPSAL and more. Never a dull moment then.

Also where you will be based and transport will play a part. Maybe if you could be more specific.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Weather Averages for Melbourne, Australia

Weather Averages for Adelaide, Australia
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks
I would say that Melbourne would be excellent in your circumstances, so much going on all the time but you can escape to the quieter suburbs and beaches and countryside if needed very easily.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Personal experience: Melbourne

Far much more to offer and very European compared to any other Australia city. Lots to do and visit. 3 months will pass very fast and since you are mostly working it will not really be that different from home. Aside from the fact of looking at the room service menu and thinking I have tried everything I like!!!
Both cities are very nice and both offer a different experience of Australia.

Since you mention your company is sending you out to recruit. I guess they are looking at setting up an office or are you looking to hire staff to bring back to the UK?

If you are looking to recruit staff, Melbourne has a higher population than Adelaide and thus probably more chance of finding qualified staff, not saying you will not in Adelaide. It all depends on your line of business and if you are looking to create an office in Australia for your customer base.

Melbourne and Sydney are the major business areas that most MNC will invest in.

For you since this is a secondment, and not a personal trip think what you need to accomplish on your trip. What is your company/business looking to gain.
Remember you are being sent here on business and not a jolly. This may sound harsh but it is the reality.

Also a lot of MNC can/just post on the local recruitment websites and set up skype interviews. Very common these days.

If you come to Melbourne, I suspect your company will be paying for everything. South Yarra, Port Melbourne or even St Kilda might be good spots to get accommodation. Not too sure about North Melbourne, but some very nice spots there also with easy access to the city and with lots to offer.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

For three months, at your age - Melbourne. I don't find Melbourne to be similar to London - in fact I find Melbourne relatively easy-to-manage for a city of its size. There are a lot more things to do there and a lot more possibilities for weekend/side trips.

I find Adelaide nice too, but it is smaller, quieter, and more isolated.