Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Wikiposts

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DM
OK, opinions. I'll give mine altho pls bear in mind that my working circumstances and lifestyle were probably different to yours (e.g. we had no kids so schools, etc weren't important).

I found Melbourne too big, too noisy, too polluted, too much traffic - basically everything you would expect from a big city. It wasn't me, but then again, I never lived in a city in the UK (always been very close to countryside) so it was a bit of a change to say the least. Husband and I were both dependant on the 'corporate' world for work and both had jobs in CBD so wanted to live within 45 mins commute - i.e. inner suburbs. But, if you don't need to be city-based, then there are lots of nice, green areas on the outer fringes of Melbourne, where things are a lot quieter.

Melbourne is fantastic in that there is so much going on - sport, shopping, bars, restaurants, arts, etc etc. You also have the bay/beaches, Dandenongs and Mornington Peninsula within easy reach, Gt Ocean Rd, Philip Island, ocean beaches, alpine skiiing a bit further afield (and a whole lot more in country Vic). never had a problem with climate - just expect it to be changeable. Summer was often too hot for me (we had a couple of 40+ degrees days last year). Winter was long and cold - a lot of Melburnians thought last winter was one of the worst for a few years. Still got minus temps overnight in certain areas, but still milder than UK on the whole. Very windy city.

Adelaide was my first choice to settle in many ways (smaller, more compact, beautiful countryside nearby) but initial job hunting showed there was no work there for us so it had to be Melbourne (had to be one or other due to family nearby). The other reason Melbourne came out on top was climate - Adelaide summer and sun would have been too intense for us. Husband has to be careful in the sun and being outside training for 20+ hrs a week, we knew from times spent in Adelaide and family that daytime sun /heat was too much for too many months in the year for us personally. We didn't want to live in Oz and not be able to enjoy exercising outdoors.

So that is my opinion.....really I'm on the fence because it boils down to personal preference and what you want out of where you live. There are so many factors to take into consideration. I love Melbourne as a city but could never live there long term. Outside of Melbourne - yes, would like somewhere down the peninsula! Adelaide - never lived ther, visited a few times, but liked it a lot.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

martinbrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Originally posted by deftymarie
Hi everyone,

We have the opportunity to move to Australia within 6 months on a STNI visa as my husband is a motor mechanic.

Taking into consideration Mechanic jobs, cost of renting 2 to 3 bed accomodation and being fairly central with decent schools (2 girls ages 4 and 8) would you recommed Adelaide or Melbourne?

Thanks for any comments
Marie & Darrin

Hi Marie & Darrin

Just wondering if you had decided yet where to go. My hubbie is also a motor mechanic and we are also wondering which place to choose (Adelaide or Melbourne). Also have a boy aged 3 so we are in similar situation. MY hubbie has e-mailed a few garages in Melbourne and has had a job offered already!! So the job situation sounds ok.

Let me know what you decide and how your application is going.

Thanks
Lesley