Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - its not for us.

Adelaide - its not for us.

Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:17 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
I had to look up acrophobia, you learn something new everyday! All the best.

Joex
I went there too!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If the Phobia could be cured would you both still want to stay in Adelaide, are there other reasons as well that you want to go back to the Uk or don't like OZ or Adelaide?

Was thinking the same, has the phobia developed to cover a more complex range of reasons. Not doubting its real for one second, just the reasons why it wasnt a concern before when australias 'wildlife' is so well publicised its actually overstated.

If it is just the phobia, can think of many ways to live in aus without encountering 'wildlife' such as an apartment in most of the major cities. Sydney or melbourne or inner brisbane for a start.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:28 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was thinking the same, has the phobia developed to cover a more complex range of reasons. Not doubting its real for one second, just the reasons why it wasnt a concern before when australias 'wildlife' is so well publicised its actually overstated.

If it is just the phobia, can think of many ways to live in aus without encountering 'wildlife' such as an apartment in most of the major cities. Sydney or melbourne or inner brisbane for a start.
You still get spiders living in an inner-city apartment, but l agree the whole OZ wildlife danger thing is over-exagerated when you consider more people are killed in the Uk each year by bee and wasps then people killed by snakes and spiders in OZ.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Hi
well after nearly 3 years of trying to get here arriving and getting things sorted it is not for us. OH has a phobia beyond belief. It has now got to the stage that we cannot have any doors open he will not take the dog a walk, and we all keep getting shouted at. He has a phobia about snakes/reptiles, he has nightmares every night. He goes to work (in the car) get out works and comes home. thats it he will not go out at all just incase. My marriage of over 20 years is in trouble. I think I need to quite while the going is good. So in the new year we will be returning to the UK.
I now need advice about shipping the dog, and shipping our furniture back. also which web sites for flights. Please dont shoot me down!. You know who you are.
So sorry to hear your news. Hubby needs to see a doc.....the doc will do a house call if necessary (you'll have to pay tho).
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:32 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
So sorry to hear your news. Hubby needs to see a doc.....the doc will do a house call if necessary (you'll have to pay tho).
Awww look at your av! That's the cutest!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
DONT, talk to them she,ll send you a bill .......... mm

Last edited by mr mover; Dec 5th 2006 at 10:15 am.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:28 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
DONT, talk to him he,ll send you a bill .......... mm
*whispers - Ozzidoc is a she*
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:16 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

*whispers - Ozzidoc is a she*
Ta ..................mm
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

justmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

I wish people wouldn't put these sort of stupid comments in what most people consider to be serious threads, with genuine replies. Sorry but please stick to the original post, IMHO these sort of conversations should be done using a pm or in the barbie. Moderators please help!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by justmd
I wish people wouldn't put these sort of stupid comments in what most people consider to be serious threads, with genuine replies. Sorry but please stick to the original post, IMHO these sort of conversations should be done using a pm or in the barbie. Moderators please help!
If you have a problem with my post then report it. That way you can be sure the moderators hear your pleas.

Off-topic remarks are frequent on this forum, as they are with most forums, it is human nature to digress. You will note that I had already posted a genuine reply to the original poster.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

If you have a problem with my post then report it. That way you can be sure the moderators hear your pleas.

Off-topic remarks are frequent on this forum, as they are with most forums, it is human nature to digress. You will note that I had already posted a genuine reply to the original poster.
Quite, I hardly think that some friendly banter detracts from the concerned advice that most posters on this thread have given!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Quite, I hardly think that some friendly banter detracts from the concerned advice that most posters on this thread have given!
Precisely
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Hi
well after nearly 3 years of trying to get here arriving and getting things sorted it is not for us. OH has a phobia beyond belief. It has now got to the stage that we cannot have any doors open he will not take the dog a walk, and we all keep getting shouted at. He has a phobia about snakes/reptiles, he has nightmares every night. He goes to work (in the car) get out works and comes home. thats it he will not go out at all just incase. My marriage of over 20 years is in trouble. I think I need to quite while the going is good. So in the new year we will be returning to the UK.
I now need advice about shipping the dog, and shipping our furniture back. also which web sites for flights. Please dont shoot me down!. You know who you are.
So sorry to hear about your husbands present difficulties. Like many of the other posters I really would recommend that he seeks professional advice. Moving to the other side of the world is an immensely stressful experience, it can generate all sorts of anxieties which if left unexpressed or unresolved, can easily develop into a general anxiety disorder or, as in the case of your husband perhaps, become attached to a specific circumstance or object; 'outside', 'spider', in other words a phobia. There are lots of different therapies available which help the suffer successfully deal with these issues, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), hypnotherapy, and one that nobody has mentioned so far, thought field therapy (TFT), which in my experience is remarkably effective at treating phobias / anxieties. Its very simple and quick, and is similar to acupuncture (only without the use of needles for those with needle phobias!) in that you tap particular locations on the head and upper body whilst thinking of the things which make you anxious. Simple problems can generally be resolved fairly quickly (1-2 hour sessions), but anxieties are sometimes more complex and multi-layered (a bit like onions) so may take a little longer.

Whatever you and your husband decide I wish you both all the best.