Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - its not for us.

Adelaide - its not for us.

Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l lived in Adelaide for 15 years and never saw a snake, except for one in the hills outside Adelaide while bushwalking once, it quickly crawled away when it saw be coming, as for spiders no one has been killed by one in OZ in 30 years, so l think the fears are totally unjustified , perhaps they should get help for the problem.
I am sure everyone here is agreed that a medical approach would be a great idea. Can I just say though that if I were him I would be very anti and he wouldn't want to admit to psycholgical/mental problems because of the stigma attached to the label. Men do have a tendancy to refuse to accept such help- no doubt I over-generalise. I feel sorry for the family but suspect the mind is set in coming back. One possibility is to see what would happen if he came back on his own for a month's break. What I wouldn't want to do is uproot the whole clan if there is the chance it isn't all as it seems.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:07 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Hi
well after nearly 3 years of trying to get here arriving and getting things sorted it is not for us. OH has a phobia beyond belief. It has now got to the stage that we cannot have any doors open he will not take the dog a walk, and we all keep getting shouted at. He has a phobia about snakes/reptiles, he has nightmares every night. He goes to work (in the car) get out works and comes home. thats it he will not go out at all just incase. My marriage of over 20 years is in trouble. I think I need to quite while the going is good. So in the new year we will be returning to the UK.
I now need advice about shipping the dog, and shipping our furniture back. also which web sites for flights. Please dont shoot me down!. You know who you are.

Jesus it only seems like two mins since i remember you all getting the go-ahead to set off, im so sorry you now find yourself in this predicament. I am sure you will try every avenue before you make your decision to stay or return, whatever choice you make i wish you all the very best of luck in whatever comes next. Take care.

Nev.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=atkinsfamily]

I am really sorry to read your post, but would like to say although your (quite rightly worried about your OH) - please dont forget your own wellbeing in this situation.

Hope you sort out either way
Angela
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:29 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my lord H, I saw on the other forum that you were looking for flights home and did wonder what was wrong. I'm so sorry to hear about your problems and I do hope you'll consider talking to your OH about getting some help before you go to yet more expense and upheaval to move back to the UK.

If you do still decide to go back I'd just like to wish you all the luck in the world and hope that that resolves things.

Lou
xx

Hi
well after nearly 3 years of trying to get here arriving and getting things sorted it is not for us. OH has a phobia beyond belief. It has now got to the stage that we cannot have any doors open he will not take the dog a walk, and we all keep getting shouted at. He has a phobia about snakes/reptiles, he has nightmares every night. He goes to work (in the car) get out works and comes home. thats it he will not go out at all just incase. My marriage of over 20 years is in trouble. I think I need to quite while the going is good. So in the new year we will be returning to the UK.
I now need advice about shipping the dog, and shipping our furniture back. also which web sites for flights. Please dont shoot me down!. You know who you are.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

According to your posts you have been in Adelaide about a month - is this right? This is terrible. You're sure you can't get your OH any further help? A phobia is a serious business and has to be treated, but the problem is this can take a long time. Moving all the way back after what effectively amounts to just a few days seems a very radical response. Has he always hasthese fears or did they develeop in the last few weeks? Herpetophobia and ophidiophobia are pretty common.

Has he talked to neighbours, etc. about the extremely low risk of danger? All this sounds like rational advice, but then phobias are by their very nature irrational. All I can do is hope you find a way to deal with it and enjoy your newlife, and if this is impossible, then good luck with your move back to the UK.

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 4th 2006 at 1:40 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you can take the experience with you and never say you were too scared to try a new life.....get on that flight with your heads held high,concentrate on your marraige at the end of the day it is those we love that has the most importance in our life...........well done for doing it
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Phobias are fairly easy to treat.
I have treated hundreds of people with such conditions.

For Adelaide try here:

http://www.aacbtsa.asn.au/

G
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I'm really sorry to hear that things aren't working out for you.

I do agree with what the others have said though and that perhaps some counselling for his phobia would be a good idea. My aunt lives in Canada and for a long time had a real phobia of snakes and really wanted to come back to the UK. She was convinced to have some counselling and it has really helped her. It might be worth a try for your husband and could be a good route to go down before the upheaval of moving back here again.

I hope that you are both happy whatever you decide.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Hi
Speaking as someone who suffers from severe acrophobia, you and your husband both have my sympathy. I know from experience that phobias can be utterly debilitating.

I concur with the advice given by others; seek medical help locally, and see how that works out. Give yourselves a reasonable timeframe for improvement/resolution. Returning home is a perfectly sensible option, but only as a last resort IMHO.

Best of British luck, whatever you do.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:49 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Hi
If the Phobia could be cured would you both still want to stay in Adelaide, are there other reasons as well that you want to go back to the Uk or don't like OZ or Adelaide?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:49 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Speaking as someone who suffers from severe acrophobia, you and your husband both have my sympathy. I know from experience that phobias can be utterly debilitating.

I concur with the advice given by others; seek medical help locally, and see how that works out. Give yourselves a reasonable timeframe for improvement/resolution. Returning home is a perfectly sensible option, but only as a last resort IMHO.

Best of British luck, whatever you do.
..and to you too!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Adelaide - its not for us.

Originally Posted by busterboy
..and to you too!
Don't worry about me, mate; acrophobia is dead easy to manage.

Thanks for the thought, though.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:02 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you has mistyped agarophobia...yup you can avoid your particular fear where you can....agarophobia...cripes, very difficult!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:10 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, please try and get your OH some therapy or try hypnotherapy. Its got to be worth a go before the expense and upheavel of coming back to the Uk.

I hope all works out for you.

Joex
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:11 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

I had to look up acrophobia, you learn something new everyday! All the best.

Joex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.