Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide Housing

Adelaide Housing

Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:29 am
its only me..!

bayst is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Adelaide Housing

After reading many post on BE and reading lots of books I am now trying to get specific and realistic costs of actually purchasing a house. I have read many stories from people who the same as us whilst in the UK browsed Aussie Real Estate websites and think 'Wow, great house, great price'.............only to find out that the price it was advertised at was not the price paid............usually a lot, lot more than advertised.
Do any BE members (in Adelaide) who may have or are actually going through the process have any specific tales including costs along with the type of house purchased, which suburb, etc. etc.

Perhaps someone could also explain the 'dark art' of buying from an Auction, whilst most understand the basic process, is it still possible to get a bargain ? as im well aware many buyers get 'sucked in' by the bidding frenzy and overbid, spending more than the property perhaps is worth.

We are initially thinking anywhere south/south west of the city from Noralunga to Brighton for a 3/4 bed, two bathroom house, bit of a garden/backyard but we are open to suggestions, 20/30 mins to beach is fine, even semi rural but with facilities shops n petrol within 10 mins would be high on the wishlist I suppose.
Work for us both will be nearish to the city 30/ min commute would be OK.
Thanks Chris & Debbie, Olivia 12 and Guy 10
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide Housing

Originally Posted by bayst
After reading many post on BE and reading lots of books I am now trying to get specific and realistic costs of actually purchasing a house. I have read many stories from people who the same as us whilst in the UK browsed Aussie Real Estate websites and think 'Wow, great house, great price'.............only to find out that the price it was advertised at was not the price paid............usually a lot, lot more than advertised.
Do any BE members (in Adelaide) who may have or are actually going through the process have any specific tales including costs along with the type of house purchased, which suburb, etc. etc.

Perhaps someone could also explain the 'dark art' of buying from an Auction, whilst most understand the basic process, is it still possible to get a bargain ? as im well aware many buyers get 'sucked in' by the bidding frenzy and overbid, spending more than the property perhaps is worth.

We are initially thinking anywhere south/south west of the city from Noralunga to Brighton for a 3/4 bed, two bathroom house, bit of a garden/backyard but we are open to suggestions, 20/30 mins to beach is fine, even semi rural but with facilities shops n petrol within 10 mins would be high on the wishlist I suppose.
Work for us both will be nearish to the city 30/ min commute would be OK.
Thanks Chris & Debbie, Olivia 12 and Guy 10
I think the main question is what price bracket are you looking at? Prices can vary considerably from one suburb to another...usually the lower the price the more 'boganish' the area. Although I live in one of the lower priced area's and it's not that bad here so that doesn't always follow.

I think that Adelaide is a fairly easy city to get around, but driving into the city can be very expensive cost wise, and time wise. So it may be wise to look around an area that has access to the train line...or even the tram line which now goes all the way to the Entertainment Centre Parking in the Adelaide Entertainment Centre (AEC) is only $2 and gives you a free ride into the city centre (worth looking at if you work right in the middle)

If you're just outside the city, then it may pay to live on that side of the city rather than trying to go through it or around it.

As for house prices, well they seem to have steadied a little, but whether you get it for less than advertised will most likely depend on the area, the seller, the advertised price, the survey and numerous other scenarios. I guess the only way to do it really is to offer what you think it's worth. Look at what other houses are selling for in that area etc etc. There's a site here http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/ (not sure I'd pay though!) so look for something similar and free

Just found this article, may be of interest to you http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/proper...-1225867200939

Last edited by Wendy; Sep 28th 2010 at 9:44 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:25 pm
its only me..!

bayst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide Housing

Thanks for that Wendy, I guess my price range will be around A$400/A$450.
I think the plan will be to see which hospital Debbie gets a job offer at and then look at surrounding suburbs, as I work as a wall and floor tiler I can pretty much be based anywhere.
I would still be interested to hear from anyone that has recently gone through the 'buying a house' route to hear their stories on what they paid or had to pay on top of the advertised price on the real estate company website or in the shop window, hidden costs, surveys, real estate company fees, etc.
Chris & Debbie