British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Adelaide Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/adelaide-help-590910/)

lynncam Feb 11th 2009 7:35 pm

Adelaide Help

I've been awarded a visa to emigrate to Adelaide and am currently in the city for a few days to look at jobs and property options. Can anyone give me suggestions for nice areas to look at re property rental, as well as the best way to get to these areas? I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. :huh:

bluekipper Feb 11th 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Adelaide Help

Brighton, Hallett Cove, Marino ,,all along the coast I love,,but depends what your after really,, get yourself a multi ticket to travel cheaply on buses & trains,, hope this helps,,oh and Adelaide metro have a number you can call for directions!

Bluekipper

lynncam Feb 11th 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks - much appreciated!

Wendy Feb 11th 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by lynncam (Post 7276413)
Thanks - much appreciated!

The bus, train and trams timetables can be downloaded on their website www.adelaidemetro.com.au

Where are you looking at working? it's a big place and can take 2 hours or so to get from far north to far south, so if your working at say Flinders Hospital, there's no point anyone suggesting Gawler etc.

pumpkin blossom Feb 11th 2009 11:12 pm

Yep, it is a huge place, you really need to know where abouts you are likely to be working.

Mipik Feb 11th 2009 11:31 pm

Although there is a great South/North debate when areas of Adelaide are discussed there are other parts as well.

If you are in the city get to Grenfell/Currie St and onto a bus 123/125 heading East go to the end for a look. Some of the nicest suburbs are there.

But as previously stated the most important thing is where you are likely to work.

lynncam Feb 12th 2009 12:12 am

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure as yet re jobs - I'm a journalist so am currently trying to arrange to meet people at the Advertiser and Sunday Mail to suss things out there.

In the meantime I'll hop on a few buses and have a look around!

In more general terms, is Adelaide a good place to live? Obviously it's a huge step to emigrate here, especially as it'll just be me and the dog :ohmy: so any thoughts and advice would be very welcome... Is it easy enough to make a new life/friends etc here?

Mipik Feb 12th 2009 12:19 am

There was a thread here a couple of days ago that ended as a huge slugging fest.
Subject was Adelaide.

Many different opinions.
Some love the place some not.

For us it is a perfect place to live and only complaint is the long and cold winter.

No idea where journalists work but probably in the city so look for a place with easy access.

Suggest a quick peek around Norwood, Kent Town, Kensington.

Be warned: not too many landlords are willing to accept pets.

purple rain Feb 12th 2009 4:20 am

Originally Posted by lynncam (Post 7276688)
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure as yet re jobs - I'm a journalist so am currently trying to arrange to meet people at the Advertiser and Sunday Mail to suss things out there.

In the meantime I'll hop on a few buses and have a look around!

In more general terms, is Adelaide a good place to live? Obviously it's a huge step to emigrate here, especially as it'll just be me and the dog :ohmy: so any thoughts and advice would be very welcome... Is it easy enough to make a new life/friends etc here?

Hi there, it would be good if you could have a chat with Pompeyblonde, she is a single lady living in Adelaide. I have pm'ed my number to you, give me a ring and I will put you in contact with her.
Jacqui

marco121068 Feb 12th 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by lynncam (Post 7276688)

That would probably be the first time the Advertiser has seen a journalist then. :rofl:

I'd recommend hiring a car and just driving around until you come across an area you like.