Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

The Clampets is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Adelaide (HELP)

Can any one advise us on where best to go as we have not got a clue
we were thinking about salisbury downs.Any suggestions please
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide (HELP)

Originally Posted by The Clampets
Bit of a vague question. Tell us what you like to do and what sort of lifestyle your after and I'm sure you'll get a better response.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:08 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been over to Adbrits, lots of info about suburbs and things on there:
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried adelaidebrits forum.

Type in adelaidebrits in search engine and scroll down till you see it, its full of info on anything and everything adelaide.

And they are a friendly bunch of people on there too.

Libby
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it bridie
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:44 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

The Salisbury area is the one place I would say avoid at all costs. I spent a year near there and my Aussie friends (Adelaide born and bred) described it as 'Bogenville' and used to shudder at the mention of it's name. Salisbury town centre may have changed since I was there but it was the one place I've seen in Australia that reminded me of a concrete, run down 1970's British town centre.

Salisbury Downs is sandwiched between Elizabeth Air Force base and Parafield Airport (busy, caters for small prop aircraft - that's where I spent my year) both have runways that point straight at Salisbury Downs, and a stone's throw away is Bolivar Sewage works which when the wind blows the wrong way will really make your eyes water.

If you're looking over that side of town go a bit further East to the hills and have a look around Tea Tree Gully, up there in the hills are lots of newer houses, great views, close to the hills proper for scenic parks and reservoirs and Tea Tree Gully has a huge shopping centre/cinema complex.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:15 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I live in Parafield Gardens (not far from Parafield Airport) and I'm really happy here. I'm in a quiet little cul de sac, five minutes walk from the nearest shops and a few minutes drive from the Hollywood shopping mall. It's not that far to Tea Tree Plaza shopping mall (the one at Tea Tree Gully) from here either - though finding a parking space can be fun sometimes!

Salisbury itself is improving; the local council is really investing in upgrading the area, new houses are going up all the time. Also, there are lots of older houses around the Tea Tree Gully/Modbury areas as well as newer ones, it depends where you look. I can't really comment on Salisbury Downs as I don't know it all that well.

It's really horses for courses though; you need to visit lots of areas to get a feel for the sort of suburb you like. You could do this on your validation trip if you're doing one; alternatively get temporary accommodation when you arrive for good and take a look all around the suburbs - both northern and southern suburbs have their good areas and less attractive ones.

Do have a look on AdelaideBrits if you haven't already - and feel free to ask away if you have any specific questions!

Good luck,

Elaine M
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:29 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear the council are spending some money on Salisbury, it certainly needed it, Parafield Gardens was always a nice place, and great for access to the city on the train too, been over there quite a few times flying out of Parafield Airport. Hollywood Plaza, blimey been there a few times, had forgotten about that lol. The carvery in the food court does a mean roast pork roll hehe.

Is Roulettes Pub/Bottle Shop still there by the airport? Had many a good evening there.

As you say Modbury/Tea Tree Gully has lots of nice older houses as well, I was up that way not long ago and was amazed how much they have developed up the hill in the Golden Grove area.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Brighton is really nice! We were thinking of that area, but we will end up in Melbourne somewhere. We really fancied Hallet Cove as well ..

Check them out!

/Jørgen
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:08 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LIBBY
You beat me to it bridie
I was just going to say there's an echo in here!!!