Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide has more sun

Adelaide has more sun

Old Sep 13th 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide has more sun

I read that adelaide has 270 sunny days a year and brisbane 243, sydney 220. But what is the weather like in winter in Adelaide. Do you ever have frosts. Ever get down to 0 degrees. Is winter wet & miserable there. What are house costs like there compared to say Brisbane area. Anyone lived in both Brisbane area and adelaide? which do you prefer? I had planned on going to Brisbane but adelaide sounds quite good - not so touristy. maybe easier to find a job as well. Any comment appreciated.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:22 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide has more sun

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
I read that adelaide has 270 sunny days a year and brisbane 243, sydney 220. But what is the weather like in winter in Adelaide. Do you ever have frosts. Ever get down to 0 degrees. Is winter wet & miserable there. What are house costs like there compared to say Brisbane area. Anyone lived in both Brisbane area and adelaide? which do you prefer? I had planned on going to Brisbane but adelaide sounds quite good - not so touristy. maybe easier to find a job as well. Any comment appreciated.
Adelaide is known for its ,cool crisp winters , but 0deg never, the coldest i can remember is 2degC, ice on the wind screen, and mild frost, we live 40km nth of Adelaide,on the northen Adelaide plains ,15 mins from Gawler,so we get it a little cooler, Beautiful blues skies ,crystal clear nights ,means cold mornings. The closest climate in Queens land you would get to Adelaides is in the Toowoomba/ warrick area, houses in Adelaide are cheaper than the rest of Australia ,Bar Tasmania, but catching up fast. As for jobs ,Queensland has twice the population of Sth Oz ,so jobs would be easier to come by, but depends on what you do..... MM
Old Sep 14th 2003, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved over in March, so left UK when it was still cold and miserable. The winter here in Adelaide was a mixed bag of showers and blue sunny skys and by showers I mean short bursts of heavy rain not that drisle that bugs you all day.
The coldest it got was around 4 degrees, the frost just does'nt compare to the UK. No scrapeing the ice off the windscreen with your credit card first thing in the morning.
No getting dark at 4pm either, it gets dark at around 5:30 but this does'nt last for long.
To sum up I would compare the winter here to a normal summer in Blighty.
(Had a storm last night though which was quite spectacular, wind/rain/hail)

Colin
Old Sep 14th 2003, 6:36 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I read that adelaide has 270 sunny days a year and brisbane 243, sydney 220. But what is the weather like in winter in Adelaide. Do you ever have frosts. Ever get down to 0 degrees. Is winter wet & miserable there.
Here's a very good site that I used to help me decide which state to move to. I found that SA has the least rainfall in a year and also has the most consant temperatures.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:17 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colinnsam
We moved over in March, so left UK when it was still cold and miserable. The winter here in Adelaide was a mixed bag of showers and blue sunny skys and by showers I mean short bursts of heavy rain not that drisle that bugs you all day.
The coldest it got was around 4 degrees, the frost just does'nt compare to the UK. No scrapeing the ice off the windscreen with your credit card first thing in the morning.
No getting dark at 4pm either, it gets dark at around 5:30 but this does'nt last for long.

Colin

hi colin,
sounds fantastic! the one thing I wont miss is the crappy weather. I have to take 3 kids - 6 & 21/2 twins - by 2 lots of public transport to school and nursery, and the whole winter my life is just a misery...dark,cold,wet,no consideration by others...cant wait to be able to walk to school (if necc.) in pleasant weather with wind and rain being the exception rather than the norm....
cheered me up !!!
Sue
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Here's a very good site that I used to help me decide which state to move to. I found that SA has the least rainfall in a year and also has the most consant temperatures.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/

What do you go to when you log on to the site- it is very complicated? I would like to look at sun hours etc in Brisbane.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:48 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colinnsam

Colin
Enjoy it while it lasts guys come the end of november,you,ll put the sprinkler on just to remember what Rain feels like ,that will last through to April 2004. You will then understand why Sth OZ is the "Driest, state in the Driest Continent on earth ".. ....enjoy........ MM
Old Sep 14th 2003, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I live in Adelaide but travel constantly for work. In the last 2 weeks I have been in Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane and am currently in Sydney. Adelaide has been the coldest and least Spring-like.

IMO the Winter has been pretty long. The rain started in April and is still going on (which I suppose is a good thing considering the serious water shortages in this State). You do get the odd sunny day but 5 months of cold wet weather is longer than I expected. I have been told that some years it can drag on until November or even December. Someone at work told me that they had their log fire going two Christmases ago.

As for jobs I don't know why you think it will be easier to get a job here than in Brisbane unless you're a wine maker ! Brisbane is currently 1.5 times the size of Adelaide and is the fastest growing city in Australia while Adelaide is considered a low growth area which is why the STNI sheme is trying to attract people to come here. Adelaide is considered to be the least economically bouyant of all the State capitals and there really is comparatively little development or economic activity here.

Don't get me wrong - there are lots of things I like about Adelaide, but I was transferred here by work not by choice and if I'd had the choice I would have chosen Brisbane.

Old Sep 14th 2003, 9:22 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by tinaj
What do you go to when you log on to the site- it is very complicated? I would like to look at sun hours etc in Brisbane.
Try this....

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...ript.cgi?40214

Steve.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You've def got your facts wrong about weather in Brisbane, as I cannot remember the last time we DIDN'T have sunshine during the day. More like sunshine days Brisbane 365.
I would expect the weather in Adelaide about the same as Auckland, but with less rain and not so extreme as the sea around Auckland stops extreme weather.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:59 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I read that adelaide has 270 sunny days a year
Have a look at
http://www.hartill.net/Aus/links.html#weather

Winter here (based on just this year for me) is like late spring in the UK.

It's rarely frosty cold. Daytime temps usually rise pretty quickly.

Last month Adelaide had it's coldest August daytime high in 25 years. A chilly 12C.

12C for a cold winter's day is nothing to fear.

Beware though of cold evenings/nights/mornings. You'll need a house with heating, because insulation is pathetic.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

try this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~darr...therdebate.htm
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

One intriguing fact, why has adelaide only 24 years of data???

Mash...
Originally posted by jayr
try this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~darr...therdebate.htm