Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!

Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!

Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!

Originally Posted by tassietiger
If it was me l would buy a house in the Dandenong mountains on a large block of land or small acerage and have a swimming pool instead of living near the beach. The beaches in Melbourne are'nt all that good and are crowded in the few months of the year its warm enough to go swimming. But the best beaches and coastline are 1 hours drive and more outside Melbourne which are some of the best in Australia. Hallet Cove and the beaches in Adelaide are pity average . If its great beaches and warm weather all year round you are after then you should consider Queensland maybe the Gold coast area, not Adelaide or Melbourne. But just outside Melbounre and Victoria is one of the best places in Australia for camping and outdoor activities which you said you were interested in.
The best way to decide is to visit both Adelaide and Melbourne yourselves,Although useful, you can't rely on other peoples opinions alone.
I live on the edge of the Dandenongs and will be putting a pool in for convenience. However, some of the bay beaches are stunning - remind me very much of Sardinia - clear turquoise sea and white sand. You can swim from Sep-Apr if you are hardy. I've been there when it was 26oC and they are almost empty. But agree, that on 38oC+ weekend days (see it is cold in Melbourne) they can be busy.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
Banned

tassietiger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Actually the beaches in Melbourne are among the best in Australia. We live 15 mins walk from a stunning sandy beach, 30 mins commute from the CBD.

And as for crowded, that is just rubbish.

But then I'm guessing, tassietiger, you don't live in Melbourne?

Buzzy
Yes there are great beaches but on the edge of Melbourne or outside Melbourne in country VIctoria. But the beaches inside Melbourne like St Kilda beach in my opinion are pity dreadful, Also crowded when its warm enough to go swimming.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:55 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Crow
No it's not very cold - I get fed up of saying this. Winter so far has been around 15oC day time temp. Though typically it ranges from 12oC-15oC. Nights can be cold - but in 2 and half winters have only seen 2 light frosts.

Skiing is cheap if you want to go for the day - not so cheap if you want to stay longer!
I lived there for 3 yrs and I am sorry but having to wrap up under a blanket on the sofa is cold to me. This is at night admittedly and we had ducted heating. Like I explained it is due to no double glazing, no carpets, large rooms and no insulation. When you are used to all this in the UK even 2 degrees which it did go down to was cold. We had to have hot water bottles and electric blankets in the rental we had before we bought and could see our breathe in the bedroom. That is cold.

Jo
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:56 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Yes there are great beaches but on the edge of Melbourne or outside Melbourne in country VIctoria. But the beaches inside Melbourne like St Kilda beach in my opinion are pity dreadful, Also crowded when its warm enough to go swimming.
Mornington has great beaches in its own right why would you want to go to St Kilda beach????? To avoid the crowds head to Balnarring beach its beautiful with great views of Cowes on Philip Island.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by joh117
Mornington has great beaches in its own right why would you want to go to St Kilda beach????? To avoid the crowds head to Balnarring beach its beautiful with great views of Cowes on Philip Island.
l read the sandunes at Frankston beach are full of perverts and druggies. Melbournes beachs range from ordinary to dreadful, but drive an hour outsdie melbourne west along the great ocean road or east to gippsland are some of the best beaches and scenic coastline in Australia, no crowds, pollution ,druggies or perverts.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I lived there for 3 yrs and I am sorry but having to wrap up under a blanket on the sofa is cold to me. This is at night admittedly and we had ducted heating. Like I explained it is due to no double glazing, no carpets, large rooms and no insulation. When you are used to all this in the UK even 2 degrees which it did go down to was cold. We had to have hot water bottles and electric blankets in the rental we had before we bought and could see our breathe in the bedroom. That is cold.

Jo
I said nights were cold

I have not been particularly cold in our house this winter - but I don't like overly warm houses. OH's Mum's house was permanently like a sauna - I hated it. I keep the heating on in the evening at 20oc and 17oC in the morning. Don't put any heating on at night.

Last edited by The Crow; Jul 8th 2008 at 7:14 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

l read the sandunes at Frankston beach are full of perverts and druggies. Melbournes beachs range from ordinary to dreadful, but drive an hour outsdie melbourne west along the great ocean road or east to gippsland are some of the best beaches and scenic coastline in Australia, no crowds, pollution ,druggies or perverts.
Here's one of Melbourne's dreadful beaches (40 mins out).
Attached Thumbnails Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!-img_4194.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!

Originally Posted by The Crow
Here's one of Melbourne's dreadful beaches (40 mins out).
That one looks especially dreadful.

Here's another dreadful one, this one is a bit too crowded for me -

Buzzy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any sand dunes at Frankston?

Here is a beach in Gippsland, why move anywhere else over than Victoria

ps

Good camping and fishing on this beach.

John
Attached Thumbnails Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!-pa090003.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jond
I don't know of any sand dunes at Frankston?

Here is a beach in Gippsland, why move anywhere else over than Victoria

ps

Good camping and fishing on this beach.

John
Yes great beaches at Gippsland also near the great ocean road west of Melbourne, Queensclife ,Anglesea. But l would'nt go camping on St Kilda or Frankston beach
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

l would'nt go camping on St Kilda or Frankston beach
I suspect camping on those beaches is not permitted. The beaches for camping are places like Rye and Dromana where prime camping spots are held in families for generations.

Buzzy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:31 am
Pass The Post

Mornington is not Frankston. The mornington peninsula does not include Frankston it is a seperate council area. There are some fantastic beaches on the doorstep of Mornington and yes also along the Great Ocean Rd and Gippsland. They are not near to Adelaide, Mornington though possibly Geelong for the GOR. This is what the OP was asking about somewhere close by.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Mornington is not Frankston. The mornington peninsula does not include Frankston
Municipally, you are correct.

Geographically and demographically Frankston and its hinterland are frequently included in the Mornington Peninsula.

Buzzy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive on south Australian beaches................mm
Attached Thumbnails Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!-100_1092.jpg   Adelaide, Geelong or Mornington? - Can't decide!!!-100_1101.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

well done Mr Mover, Adelaide beaches are great, but don't tell everyone or there'll be at least one other person on the beach with you on Xmas day.
The dolphins would be petrified and if there were crowds there might be an influx of blue ring octopi from Sydney and Melbourne into the rock pools to feed on all the human flesh
Let's just keep a low profile over here, peace and quiet on the beach is great for snoozing, fishing and walking the dogs, Claire