Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - Furnished - Rental

Adelaide - Furnished - Rental

Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

delboyinoz will become famous soon enough
Default Adelaide - Furnished - Rental

I am thinking of changing the availability of my rental house in Adelaide (southern suburbs) and would like to canvas your opinions on what you would think most useful.

Would a meet and greet service be welcomed?

I have a 3 bedroomed house in a nice suburb close to schools, shops, bus route. If I furnished it and made it available specifically to accomodate new arrivals. How long would a reasonable period of rental be?

The house is currently tennanted for three more months and the tennant has given notice to move out.

I migrated 15 years ago and stayed in a hotel, then motel, then caravan park and on top of the initial relocation, found having to keep moving around very very stressful.

I look forward to your replies.

Derek
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - Furnished - Rental

Originally Posted by delboyinoz
I am thinking of changing the availability of my rental house in Adelaide (southern suburbs) and would like to canvas your opinions on what you would think most useful.

I have a 3 bedroomed house in a nice suburb close to schools, shops, bus route. If I furnished it and made it available specifically to accomodate new arrivals. How long would a reasonable period of rental be?

The house is currently tennanted for three more months and the tennant has given notice to move out.

I migrated 15 years ago and stayed in a hotel, then motel, then caravan park and on top of the initial relocation, found having to keep moving around very very stressful.

Derek

I think that's a great idea. I'd say rent it out in periods of 4 weeks, maybe charge a little less if they take it out for 12 weeks or more.

I also think it would be great if you (or someone) could meet them at the airport and give them a lift (or arrange transport) to the house. Maybe also have the essentials ready for them (tea, coffee, etc and a UBD map would be good too).

The SA government do this sort of thing (cheap housing for 12 weeks, plus a meet and greet service) but they don't always have the places available.

Go for it.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Derek
Hi Derek, I agree with Wendy and actually its something we're considering when we are on our feet, we've only been here eight weeks. We used meet and greet and were lucky enough to get accomodation as well. It was invaluable and gave us the breathing space needed after such an upheave.
Great idea.

donna
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by doje6863
Hi Derek, I agree with Wendy and actually its something we're considering when we are on our feet, we've only been here eight weeks. We used meet and greet and were lucky enough to get accomodation as well. It was invaluable and gave us the breathing space needed after such an upheave.
Great idea.

donna
We aswell been here for 8 weeks and had the meet and greet. We stayed in glenelg the place was ok but we had the neigbours from hell beer,drug taking ect ect it wasnt the start we wanted!!!! On another expat site theres a guy doing the meet and greet service and hes charging $600 per wk.just my opinion hes knows theres a demand and i think hes just a modern day dick turpin
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippie74
We aswell been here for 8 weeks and had the meet and greet. We stayed in glenelg the place was ok but we had the neigbours from hell beer,drug taking ect ect it wasnt the start we wanted!!!! On another expat site theres a guy doing the meet and greet service and hes charging $600 per wk.just my opinion hes knows theres a demand and i think hes just a modern day dick turpin

$600 per week!!

I hope he's got a 6 bedroom house for that price
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Derek,
I may have to contact you when it is my turn to move.

What you're thinking of offering is exactly what I would be looking for when the time comes to make the move.
You might need a minibus for the huge amounts of luggage that I have read on her that some families bring though.
After the the stress of getting visa'a and diving headfirst into an area and culture that is unfamiliar any help or support you could provide to new arrivals I would imagine to be gratefully recieved.

Johnnyyt
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chippie74

What does the $600 include? Is that just rent, or does it cover phone, electric etc.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:55 am
Just Joined

delboyinoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wendy
What does the $600 include? Is that just rent, or does it cover phone, electric etc.
Yeah, I have seen that place. The $600 covers rent, electricity, telephone, broadband etc. I have thought of including a car in the proposal also.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, I have seen that place. The $600 covers rent, electricity, telephone, broadband etc. I have thought of including a car in the proposal also.

It's not too bad then, it's very easy to run $600 worth of bills up.

A car is a very good idea, I think you're onto a winner