Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - don't be shy!

Adelaide - don't be shy!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adelaide - don't be shy!

I read on here all the time about the pro's and con's of each of the major areas of Australia, but not very much about Adelaide. Are there many folk on here living there? Are there people who moved from there to other places in Oz and why? Or have people moved from elsewhere in Oz and loving it there? I was wondering for no other reason than curiosity really. So if you love it there, here's your chance to sing it's praises!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all
Default Re: Adelaide - don't be shy!

OH and I moved to Adelaide in 2007 and we are really settled. We are not city people at all and find Adelaide to be just right, not to big not to small. It has everything we want, without over-whelming us. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to suit us (We are late 30,s early 40,s so don't know much about the club scene. The cellar doors are a short drive away, fantastic on a Sunday afternoon. the beaches are fantastic. Another big reason we came here is I like the idea of seasons and we do have 4 seasons here, the summers do have the odd moment of mad heat and the winters are mild and I am still adjusting to Xmas by the pool and July/August wrapped up with the heating on I cant compare to any where else in OZ as we have only lived here, but been on a few trips around and loved those places as well, but in holiday mode. Home is where you make it, and we feel we have made a fantastic home in Adelaide and want for nothing here.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:42 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

You may get more from Poms in Adelaide forum. We are moving to Adelaide next year. Aside from having family and friends there I am involved in film festivals and Adelaide is buzzing with festivals.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Im moving to adelaide next summer too, and i am going on a reccie to adelaide next wednesday, will report back then
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:32 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DibDob
Im moving to adelaide next summer too, and i am going on a reccie to adelaide next wednesday, will report back then
Good luck - friends who have been there 5 months said the weather is lovely at the moment, winter well gone!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Good luck - friends who have been there 5 months said the weather is lovely at the moment, winter well gone!
Have you tried Adelaidebrits as well, we found the site really informative when we were moving there.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:42 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I read on here all the time about the pro's and con's of each of the major areas of Australia, but not very much about Adelaide. Are there many folk on here living there? Are there people who moved from there to other places in Oz and why? Or have people moved from elsewhere in Oz and loving it there? I was wondering for no other reason than curiosity really. So if you love it there, here's your chance to sing it's praises!
This is why no one wants to move to Adeladie, would you want them as neighbours?
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
This is why no one wants to move to Adeladie, would you want them as neighbours?
www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26044571-5006301,00.html
And those dudes who killed people, cut off their legs and stored the bodies in barrels?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:27 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And those dudes who killed people, cut off their legs and stored the bodies in barrels?
Hey boerki boy , your barrels waiting ........mm

Last edited by mr mover; Sep 8th 2009 at 9:30 am.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in adelaide for just over a year before moving to perth.
Its an ok city but there is far nicer in australia, I would put it to the bottom of the list to be honest.
I found that it had a more old world feel to it, which wasnt what I expected.

It certainly has more going on than perth but that proved to be a bit of a problem in itself as we had a place near the beach in glenelg. we quickly found out that glenelg is a bit of a part area at night and would often have drunks staggering around the streets, argueing and fighting, or just shouting there heads off at 3am.
glad to be out of it
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
The problem L is your going to spend all your resources researching and never take that crucial step.

I think you have to come to the conclusion that the worst case is you return to the UK and have to start again. At any rate you will be starting from scratch in Oz anyway. If your not wanting to risk this its going to do your head in looking at all these other options?
  • Mornington
  • NZ
  • Tasmania
  • now Adelaide

Rent your house out, treat it as 2 year OE and just do it.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
The problem L is your going to spend all your resources researching and never take that crucial step.

I think you have to come to the conclusion that the worst case is you return to the UK and have to start again. At any rate you will be starting from scratch in Oz anyway. If your not wanting to risk this its going to do your head in looking at all these other options?
  • Mornington
  • NZ
  • Tasmania
  • now Adelaide

Rent your house out, treat it as 2 year OE and just do it.
You are absolutely right of course - it is easy to think about things too much without acting. I'm genuinely interested in hearing others' experiences though and I realised that although it's a major city you don't hear about it much. My heart does lie with Mornington I must say and were we to move, that is where we would end up. However, with the dollar now down to $1.92, it may be that fate is intervening in any event. OH has always said that if we went, coming back would not be an option, at least for a good few years. With the kids' education and the financial implications of moving back, the 'suck it an see' approach just isn't going to happen for us. Interesting times as they say.

Even if the dream doesn't materialise for us, I enjoy reading about other peoples' journey though.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Hey boerki boy , your barrels waiting ........mm
I always knew you were a psycho.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,I lived in SA for 30 years all up.Having moved there as a small kid from Wiltshire,I've seen plenty of changes over the years and probably too much growth in new housing to be honest.Adelaide is fine.But it depends what your expectations are.What type of lifestyle do you want?I only lived in suburbia as a kid and moved up country later as an adult.The suburbs just don't cut it for me but it depends what you like.For example my Mum lives in the north eastern suburbs.She's 78,lives alone,has nothing to do,hardly any visitors ect.Before my Dad died (14 yrs ago)they brought an old house in Moonta,renovated it and planned to retire there.Unfortunately just as they finished the reno,my Dad died,and my Mum decided to stay put in Adelaide.Why I don't know because I think when you're older,a country town has a much bigger community feel to it,easier to make friends ect,people tend to look out for you more,but hey her choice I guess!The city is heaps easy to get around,not very big either but I always liked that.Beaches are good,plenty of parklands to sit in,the Barossa is within easy driving distance,I liked living there but decided that I needed abit more out of life tbh.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

I live about 40kms from Adelaide and work in the CBD. I've been here a couple of years and have no issues or problems with this part of South Australia. I've replied to other queries about this place on here.

You've hit a sore subject: posts about Adelaide on here are as daft as the ones abouth Perth sometimes. Not every place suits every person. It's really as simple and as complicated as that.

I guess it's not about being shy. Many people enjoy it here, but as soon as a positive comment is posted here the doom-merchants are on the case.

I see Snowtown has been mentioned already. No thread on Adelaide is complete without at least one reference to a barrel. Snowton is 145kms (90 miles) from Adelaide; the story in an earlier post is about a couple in Victor Harbour (more famous for its whales, really but there you go) about 85kms (50+miles) from Adelaide. 'Snowtown' happened ten years ago and the recent news report is about something that happened seven years ago. I guess any story like this that happened in the state (which is roughly the size of France AND Germany) ever would be attributed to 'Adelaide' as if it happend 'last week'. The way people go on you'd think it was a blood bath every weekend.

Whatever you read on here the simple fact is that Adelaide is a major city with a population of around a million. So it's not tiny, but it's not on the scale of Melbourne or Sydney. Adelaide does not have 'everything' but it has more than enough to keep most people happy.

PM me if you want any specific advice.

Hills Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.