Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or bust...

Adelaide or bust...

Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:22 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Adelaide or bust...

So, there I was, enjoying a nice cuppa when hubby walks in and announces we are in with a good chance of going to South Australia with his job. Great, thinks I as the tea is quickly replaced with a very large glass of wine. How the doodah do I organise this? What about schools, (1 x secondary, 1 x primary & i x nursery) How do I sort the good from the bad? Other minor things like a house? How do we transfer pensions/funds etc. What do I do with the hamster? All in all it was a :scared: moment. Any advice on how not to do things greatfully received. Along with places to avoid moving to in SA.
Thanks in advance, the Divine Mrs. M
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or bust...

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
So, there I was, enjoying a nice cuppa when hubby walks in and announces we are in with a good chance of going to South Australia with his job. Great, thinks I as the tea is quickly replaced with a very large glass of wine. How the doodah do I organise this? What about schools, (1 x secondary, 1 x primary & i x nursery) How do I sort the good from the bad? Other minor things like a house? How do we transfer pensions/funds etc. What do I do with the hamster? All in all it was a :scared: moment. Any advice on how not to do things greatfully received. Along with places to avoid moving to in SA.
Slow down, take a deep breath and then loads and loads and loads of searches

Start off with the South Australia Education web site, move on to real estate, ask lots of questions on here - Lots of folk down that way and have another glass of wine
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So, there I was, enjoying a nice cuppa when hubby walks in and announces we are in with a good chance of going to South Australia with his job.
What visa is your husband's employer going to organise for him? A permanent visa is a lot better than a temporary one, as long as you're not concerned about the 'Living Away from Home Allowance'.

South Australia is eligible for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) and also the mainstream Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS).

Jeremy
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:04 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

go on the Adelaide Brit site as you will find everythign you need to know about suburbs, schools etc etc on there and your worries will be over....ish!!!

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx

Sasha
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:02 am
Banned

Thanks for the link! Its all a bit mind boggling, so Im going to take the advice and chill for a while. Possibly with the odd bottle of wine or two and contemplate the pros and cons of Aus vs UK. Now let me see: UK cold, wet miserable, Vs Aus: Warm, friendly, clean with good sense of humour! Oh, Choices Choices!!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:48 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the link! Its all a bit mind boggling, so Im going to take the advice and chill for a while. Possibly with the odd bottle of wine or two and contemplate the pros and cons of Aus vs UK. Now let me see: UK cold, wet miserable, Vs Aus: Warm, friendly, clean with good sense of humour! Oh, Choices Choices!!
I hope that is South Australian wine and don't forget that as another HUGE pro!

Sasha
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:35 pm
Banned

Wouldn't dare drink anything else! although rumour control has it that I have been known to fall over (damned mobile floorboards!) after sampling some of the amber stuff However, I believe these to be false and malicious rumours, started by those who dont appreciate the finer things in life.