Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide, Brisbane or Melborne?.....ARRGGHH I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Adelaide, Brisbane or Melborne?.....ARRGGHH I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:11 am
Bit more than Jnr. Member

alneve2oz is on a distinguished road
Default Adelaide, Brisbane or Melborne?.....ARRGGHH I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

It's driving me mad. Adelaide, Brisbane or Melbourne? You see, we have reasons for and against all of them:

Melbourne:
Pros:
1. My wife has a friend who has agreed (if we wish) to put us (me, wifey, kiddy 1 and kiddy 2) in her house (actually at Hoppers Crossing, nr. Melbourne) for as long as it takes for us to get our own place, and yes she is aware that this maybe three or four months - maybe more. So this is obviously a good thing - no accommodation hassles. A friendly face to help with the day to day things ("Where can I buy....?", "Where is...?" etc. etc.)

2. I have a really, really big "thing" for penguins - Phillip Island (need I say more?)

Cons:
1. More expensive place to live than the others.

2. The weather's not quite what we want - sure it's better than ol' Blighty, but, not as good as the other two.

Brisbane
Pros
1. Best weather.

2. Much cheaper than Melbourne.

3. I have friends who are emigrating (near) there (in 9 days! - Mevy69 for the BE regulars) so I wouldn't feel quite so isolated, (calm down Marie - we wouldn't be 'round every day!) It'd be nice to know there's a friendly face nearby (not that the Aussies are not friendly, it's just - oh you know what I mean)

Cons.
1. Could the weather (in summer) be too hot...?

2. Not quite as cheap as Adelaide

3. I have friends who are emigrating (near) there.... ) and I don't want to er, intrude, look like we're copying them, etc. etc.

Adelaide.
Pros.
1. It's the cheapest place to live (of the three)

2. I like to eat out, and I've read that Adelaide has around one restaurant/eatery for every thirty inhabitants.

3. I've heard that the weather is comparable to Mediterranean countries, (which in my book is good weather) and as my wife is Maltese (dual nationality), she'd love it.

Cons.
1. Wouldn't have the benefits of friends nearby (would have you lovely peeps on BE tho......)

So, any suggestions? Thoughts, advice etc. (and yes, I know we should go and visit all of them, and we will (next summer - two weeks in Melbourne (with wife's friend) one in Adelaide and one in Bris) so no telling me to visit please!).

Important things are, City living (which essentially means 24hr shops/petrol stations anywhere I can get more Rizla and munchies at 4am). Warm to hot weather, cheap living. The same things that most people want: 30 second drive to work, 20 second walk to the beach, and a 10 second stagger from the pub. Obviously, I'm a little flexible

Sorry about the length of post - I got carried away

AJ.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:45 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide, Brisbane or Melborne?.....ARRGGHH I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

One thing to consider is that while you might think Adelaide is 'cheaper' now, also bear in mind that wages are generally lower than Melbourne or Brisbane too.

FWIW, we chose Brisbane over Melbourne after visiting both, the main reason being that the people seemed friendlier to us up here.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Important things are, City living (which essentially means 24hr shops/petrol stations anywhere I can get more Rizla and munchies at 4am). Warm to hot weather, cheap living. The same things that most people want: 30 second drive to work, 20 second walk to the beach, and a 10 second stagger from the pub. Obviously, I'm a little flexible

Sorry about the length of post - I got carried away

AJ.[/QUOTE]

If you want it warm to hot then Brisbane is your best bet. Adelaide and Melbourne are pretty cold in the Winter, you would be surprised how cold! Brissie gets down quite low at night considering no-one has heating.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj

If you want it warm to hot then Brisbane is your best bet. Adelaide and Melbourne are pretty cold in the Winter, you would be surprised how cold! Brissie gets down quite low at night considering no-one has heating.
It's pretty chilly here now and the house is bloody freezing on a morning.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Sorry to say people . . . .

Brisbane has now become the second most expensive state, Sydney being number 1.

It is true about the heating. They think we can survive without it in South East QLD - got to be joking - we freeze and we are from Melbourne! I will say it is only for a short period but still enough to make it uncomfortable in the mornings and evenings. We all snuggle up under doonas.

Hoppers is a distance out of Melbourne which needs to be considered when it comes to employment. We lived in Sunbury and run a business, just past Melbourne Airport and loved it. Hello to any Sunbury people reading!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:26 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=wmoore

FWIW, we chose Brisbane over Melbourne after visiting both, the main reason being that the people seemed friendlier to us up here.[/QUOTE]
Tell the truth, it was because you heard Fraser was going to Melbourne.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
It's pretty chilly here now and the house is bloody freezing on a morning.
LOL well it didnt take you long to aclimatise, only a month ago you were saying how you had the air conditioning on .

Our only form of heating is a combustion stove & we havent even bothered to light a fire for the last month, I dont think its been cold at all!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Melbourne has class and culture, that is a massive Pro. Sure the weather is changeable but then we are not reptiles, hot and sunny everyday is not that great once you live in it.

If the weather is what you are interested in then by all means go for Brisbane. Personally we found it very boring up there.

Having somewhere to crash, i.e you friends in Melbourne is very handy. We had the same thing and it made an amazing difference.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:46 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Cold?!?!?!?!?!??!

I was in the bloody pool yesterday to cool down.

Cheers,

DagBoy

(Oh BTW it worked - I cooled down pretty bloody fast)
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Sydney, it's much nicer than the others!

Melbourne - It always rains, ask any Sydney cabbie when you get off a plane and say you have been to Melbourne

Adelaide - City of Churches, excitng

Brisbane - No summer, just a wet season

Only teasing, will there be any bites though.......
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:01 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dshole
Melbourne has class and culture, that is a massive Pro. Sure the weather is changeable but then we are not reptiles, hot and sunny everyday is not that great once you live in it.

If the weather is what you are interested in then by all means go for Brisbane. Personally we found it very boring up there.

Having somewhere to crash, i.e you friends in Melbourne is very handy. We had the same thing and it made an amazing difference.

We had worked exclusively in Melbourne before we emigrated to Australia.... and we emigrated to Brisbane

Seriously though, we really liked Melbourne, the only downsides being the house prices, and the crappy weather in winter (I spent 2 winters in Melbourne ). It probably does have a bit more 'culture' than Brisbane, but then do you go to the theatre and opera that often? Actually Mrs JTL does, and there are plenty of shows and events on in Brisbane if thats what you are into.

I suppose by culture I mean, in Brisbane, people would turn up to an Andrea Bocelli concert in shorts and T-shirts whereas in Melbourne, they might actually put a suit on
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:04 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

brisbane is becoming more cultured though, as the droves leaving sydney and melbourne start to migrate here....
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

I have to ask, why are people so obsessed with the weather?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:12 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dshole
I have to ask, why are people so obsessed with the weather?

Cos its something we all experience every day? Unlike culture, which is one of those ethereal things which means different things to different people.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:14 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I suppose by culture I mean, in Brisbane, people would turn up to an Andrea Bocelli concert in shorts and T-shirts whereas in Melbourne, they might actually put a suit on
PMSL . . .priceless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.