Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Brisbane

Adelaide or Brisbane

Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:34 am
Just Joined

lelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Brisbane

Hi everyone
New to this site, will tell you all a little about us husband Steve and our two girls (8,3 yrs ) and me Lesley moved to Adelaide in July this year on a permanent visa.
Found it hard to settle (well I have) just feel there is something missing just can't put my finger on it . We originally wanted to go to Brisbane but choose Adelaide instead unsure why, anyway what I'm trying to say is if anybody out there who has been to both places and choosen Brisbane to live.
What were the reasons?
Have you found it better?

Thanks
lesley
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Adelaide or Brisbane

Originally Posted by lelly
Hi everyone
New to this site, will tell you all a little about us husband Steve and our two girls (8,3 yrs ) and me Lesley moved to Adelaide in July this year on a permanent visa.
Found it hard to settle (well I have) just feel there is something missing just can't put my finger on it . We originally wanted to go to Brisbane but choose Adelaide instead unsure why, anyway what I'm trying to say is if anybody out there who has been to both places and choosen Brisbane to live.
What were the reasons?

Thanks
lesley
Hi, we did this only not to Brisbane, But to Sydney. We also thought we had something missing in Adelaide. so off we went . We managed 8 weeks, before we returned to Adelaide. I think most of Aus is the same, you just have to settle in your bit which becomes everyday life, then holiday to the rest.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:22 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
What were the reasons?

Thanks
lesley
Without having ever been to adelaide, I would suggest that the "something missing" is due to the following:

a) Adelaide is a fairly quiet place.
b) Adelaide doesn't have quite a few of the things that you miss from back home.

You might find that brisbane is a bit livelier (but not that much, heh heh) which might fix up (a), but wherever you move in australia you won't find the solution to (b).
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Hi everyone
What were the reasons?

Thanks
lesley
I am in Adelaide and have found it hard to settle it just seems so backward nd not really what we were looking for

We went up to queensland on a reccie and I have to say it seemed a lot more vibrant and up to date
shops were better,more infrastructure,better weather although more traffic

Why dont you have go up and have a look ?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi Lesley,

We moved to Adelaide and stayed there for 9 months, like you something was missing and we couldnt put our finger on it. We moved to the Gold Coast 2 and a 1/2 years ago and have not regretted the move one bit.

If you feel like you belong somewhere else I would say just do it as I personally feel that you won't settle if you don't. I know its harder when you have kids as you worry about moving them again (ours were 5 and 11 at the time). Our kids love it here and think it is such a very different lifestyle to Adelaide. It all depends on what lifestyle you like as everyone is different.

Marie
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

hi i did every oz city a few years ago on a 12mth holiday stayed at brisbane for two mths & adelaide for 2mths, when i got my perm visa brisbane was my first choice only for the weather, i now live between g coast & brisbane. I think alot of the time we are looking for the uk with good weather & all the d*** heads gone, it takes quite a bit of time before you can call oz home it might seem better in summer, we are just starting to use pool & its give 27c for this weekend so may go to the beach thats why i picked brisbane gary
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Irish John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by calNgary
hi i did every oz city a few years ago on a 12mth holiday stayed at brisbane for two mths & adelaide for 2mths, when i got my perm visa brisbane was my first choice only for the weather, i now live between g coast & brisbane. I think alot of the time we are looking for the uk with good weather & all the d*** heads gone, it takes quite a bit of time before you can call oz home it might seem better in summer, we are just starting to use pool & its give 27c for this weekend so may go to the beach thats why i picked brisbane gary
I spent 6 months in Adelaide last year and plan to move there in January. I've not been to Brisbane, went to Sydney and wasn't too impressed. I like the feel of Adelaide, everyone is very friendly, loads of restaurants, loads of festivals and stuff happening all the time. It feels very safe and there's no traffic problems.

I have to give it the thumbs up, I think it's a wonderful place to live.

I know when we first went out there we felt lost as it takes time to get used to everything, where you are and all the simple stuff like where's the shops etc.

I'd give yourself 6 months before making a final decision, some time to settle in. Unless you can pin point the problem, otherwise you might have the same 'lost' feeling in Brisbane.

Hope it all works out for you.

John