Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Brisbane ???

Adelaide or Brisbane ???

Old May 22nd 2005, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

dawn french is on a distinguished road
Default Adelaide or Brisbane ???

Hi All
My wife and I are in the final stages of getting our permanant residency visa after 3 long years and 2 applications. So being a little contry we went to our first migration exhibition at York yesterday!!!!. Could not quite get over the amount of folk trying to get info from the Oz and NZ info desks. We were hell bent on going to Brisbane and have been for the past 4 years but, we went over to the South Oz stand and got chatting about Adelaide looks very nice, good weather not so humid ( no roaches ?) Cheaper land and housing and were told the area has good prospect I am a Nurseryman/Air con Fitter and my wife is a chef.
Anyone been to Adelaide or lived there could you give us a steer on the place. The guys from the South Oz Migration board were very positive but I am not sure..

Thanks for your help
Alan n Dawn
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Adelaide or Brisbane ???

Hi guys,

Same as you ours has been a LOOOONG struggle, hopefully we'll find out soon! First went to Oz Sept/Oct 2000, visiting family/friends in Adelaide and Perth, we liked Adelaide but we preferred Perth, obviously couldn't tell my family this.

I think I'm right in saying that Adelaide has seen a 'brain drain' over recent years, people moving to the Eastern States, that's why the SA Government are working hard to get people, particularly younger skilled peolpe to move to SA.

Regarding weather, yes a lot less humid than Brisbane but they still get very hot days, we experienced 42 degress this January!

Land and property, you'll find your dollars go a little further in Perth compared to the other State capitals, this we read when recently there.

Adelaide city and surrounding suburbs are nice, especially the older established ones, got some lovely beeches, fantastic surrounding countryside and of course all the wine you could possibly taste/drink/buy in the Barossa Valley

Don't supposed I've helped have I ?

Cheers

Keebs

Ooh, some great V8 street racing every March. I'll go back for sure...

Keebs

All in all it's a personal decision, the main thing is getting that dreaded visa, once you've got it you can always move to another State can't you.
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:07 pm
aussie73

The best solution is to try to visit both places once you get to OZ to make you minds up.
Both places get quite warm to hot for 3 months during summer but Brisbanes probablay a bit more humid.Adelaides probably better if you preferr a cooler climate.Brisabane probably has more job opportunities, but that does'nt mean you could'nt still get good jobs in Adelaide.

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dawn french
Anyone been to Adelaide or lived there could you give us a steer on the place.
You'll find a few Adelaiders at http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Old May 23rd 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Adelaide IMHO is the most English of Oz cities, lots of parklands and old building, must be one of the cheapest cities for houseing, great beaches (but can only use them for 4 months of the year) but cold winters, suspect commuteing is easy as wide streets and good public transport for the size of the city.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

We're looking at Adelaide - what do you mean you can only use the beach 4 months of the year?
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:05 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

We are going to Adelaide this summer, just waiting for the visas & the house to sell. Check out Adelaide/Brits its a fab & friendly site full of info

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jacksoo
We're looking at Adelaide - what do you mean you can only use the beach 4 months of the year?
Would you go down to an English beach from Sept - May.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Adelaide IMHO is the most English of Oz cities
Have you been to Hobart? Very english as well .

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
great beaches (but can only use them for 4 months of the year)
Thats being generous Paul, most people would use SE Qld beaches 4 months of the year .
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Have you been to Hobart? Very english as well . .
Yes I liked the place but I thought Launceston even better, but that was in the summer, must be quite grim in the winter (unless you like cold weather)
Thats being generous Paul, most people would use SE Qld beaches 4 months of the year .
Any Brit who tried to enjoy English beaches in the height of summer would drool over SE QLD beaches in the depths of our winter.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:55 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dawn french

Hi All
My wife and I are in the final stages of getting our permanant residency visa after 3 long years and 2 applications. So being a little contry we went to our first migration exhibition at York yesterday!!!!. Could not quite get over the amount of folk trying to get info from the Oz and NZ info desks. We were hell bent on going to Brisbane and have been for the past 4 years but, we went over to the South Oz stand and got chatting about Adelaide looks very nice, good weather not so humid ( no roaches ?) Cheaper land and housing and were told the area has good prospect I am a Nurseryman/Air con Fitter and my wife is a chef.
Anyone been to Adelaide or lived there could you give us a steer on the place. The guys from the South Oz Migration board were very positive but I am not sure..

Thanks for your help
Alan n Dawn
Alan, my missus is from Adelaide and I've spent quite a bit of time there over the years, but we are moving to Sunshine Coast later on this year. Adelaide is great place, people are nice, and although not as "trendy" in the city, as some of the other major cities around Aus,it's still good.

Beaches are nice, but the weather can get quite cold in the Winter months, and "bloodly hot" in the Summer. If you move there, try to get nearer the coast, don't go for the cheaper in-land areas like Elizabeth, etc.

The trouble with cold Winters over there,is that you just don't see people out and about, they are not like us silly POM's that will go out "whatever the weather", so it can get a bit quite during these months. This is one of the reasons we are going for the warmer option. There also seems to be a better vibe around Brisbane/Queensland to be honest.

Also no in-laws

Good luck......
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Alan, my missus is from Adelaide and I've spent quite a bit of time there over the years, but we are moving to Sunshine Coast later on this year. Adelaide is great place, people are nice, and although not as "trendy" in the city, as some of the other major cities around Aus,it's still good.

Beaches are nice, but the weather can get quite cold in the Winter months, and "bloodly hot" in the Summer. If you move there, try to get nearer the coast, don't go for the cheaper in-land areas like Elizabeth, etc.

The trouble with cold Winters over there,is that you just don't see people out and about, they are not like us silly POM's that will go out "whatever the weather", so it can get a bit quite during these months. This is one of the reasons we are going for the warmer option. There also seems to be a better vibe around Brisbane/Queensland to be honest.

Also no in-laws

Good luck......
Mate if you know any thing about ELIZABETH, you would retract that crap, but you are proabaly one of these poms ,that hears things from "a mate who told A mate About" wake up and come and smell the roses. .....mm
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:43 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mr mover
Mate if you know any thing about ELIZABETH, you would retract that crap, but you are proabaly one of these poms ,that hears things from "a mate who told A mate About" wake up and come and smell the roses. .....mm
I have, and Elizabeth is still a crap hole. My Aunt has lived there for "donkey's". If you like the abstract markings of burnout's along the roads, and the sense of isolation then good for you, but not most people's "cup of tea".
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

It's very strange, this impression of the Northern Adelaide suburbs! It really isn't isolated anymore, there are loads of new developments and shopping centres.

You can buy more for your money and the blocks are larger in general. There is public transport (buses and trains) and a good road system into Adelaide, which is easily commutable.

There is a major car manufacturer, Holden, where the employees earn more on the production line than many of the other industries pay their 'professional workers'.

And, of course the hills and beaches are still within easy reach.

No - i don't live there, but lots and lots of people do and they like it!!!
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
It's very strange, this impression of the Northern Adelaide suburbs! It really isn't isolated anymore, there are loads of new developments and shopping centres.

You can buy more for your money and the blocks are larger in general. There is public transport (buses and trains) and a good road system into Adelaide, which is easily commutable.

There is a major car manufacturer, Holden, where the employees earn more on the production line than many of the other industries pay their 'professional workers'.

And, of course the hills and beaches are still within easy reach.

No - i don't live there, but lots and lots of people do and they like it!!!
Only because they can't afford to live anywhere else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.