Adelaide Areas

Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:04 pm
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice
Default Adelaide Areas

Can anyone tell me of nice areas in adelaide, also would like to find out areas to aviod.I am hoping to go next summer and just doing my homework. I will have a budget of around 300 000 AUD for property looking at 3/4 bedroom hopefully with a pool.Any Ideas??
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

RachaelW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide Areas

Hello
right! first things first, your next stop should be: www.pomsinadelaide.com - forum for Adelaide migrants only - fantastic, full of helpful people.
also: www.adelaidebound.com all about Adelaide and loads of info.

Nice places in Adelaide include Hallett Cove, Seaford, Moana, Novar Gardens and that area.
Visit www.realestate.com.au to search for houses. You should get a nice 3 bed house for 300, 000.
Good luck!
Rachael.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mers
Can anyone tell me of nice areas in adelaide, also would like to find out areas to aviod.I am hoping to go next summer and just doing my homework. I will have a budget of around 300 000 AUD for property looking at 3/4 bedroom hopefully with a pool.Any Ideas??
The areas to avoid would be anything with Elizabeth in it in the north and the Noarlunga area in the south. If you are looking for a 3/4 bed with pool, you will have to go farther out from the city, so you will have to either commute or work in the burbs. For instance, we live 15 minutes from the CBD in a 3 bed villa on a 300 sq meter lot and the house next door, which is the same design and age as ours, just sold for $350k. Mind you their lot is about 350 sq and they have a tree. Wendy bought a house recently north of the city for an excellent price, but her commute during rush hour to the city would be about 35-40 minutes each way.
Take a look on www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au and search by map to see how far from the CBD and what prices you would be looking at.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The areas to avoid would be anything with Elizabeth in it in the north and the Noarlunga area in the south.
???

Port Noarlunga? Old Noarlunga? What's wrong with them?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
???

Port Noarlunga? Old Noarlunga? What's wrong with them?
I think Dorothy has been listening to too much Adelaide hype........ mm
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The areas to avoid would be anything with Elizabeth in it in the north and the Noarlunga area in the south. If you are looking for a 3/4 bed with pool, you will have to go farther out from the city, so you will have to either commute or work in the burbs. For instance, we live 15 minutes from the CBD in a 3 bed villa on a 300 sq meter lot and the house next door, which is the same design and age as ours, just sold for $350k. Mind you their lot is about 350 sq and they have a tree. Wendy bought a house recently north of the city for an excellent price, but her commute during rush hour to the city would be about 35-40 minutes each way.
Take a look on www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au and search by map to see how far from the CBD and what prices you would be looking at.

Yeah, my house is about 40 minutes away on the bus, probably about the same in the car. But since I don't go into the city much it's not a problem for me, and it's only 15 minutes to OH's work. Im more excited that i'm now on the bus route to TTP, so I can come and have coffee with you more.

To the OP: It does depend a lot on what you do for a living as to where you live, it should be the first consideration. No point living near the beach if you've got an hours commute every day, it's easier to just drive an hour there at the weekend. Just like there's no point living in the North if your work is in the South.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I think Dorothy has been listening to too much Adelaide hype........ mm
No, I haven't been listening to a lot of Adelaide hype. I live in Adelaide and have listened to the opinions of people who were born and raised here. When we bought land in Noarlunga my co-workers and Australian friends explained that it is a rough area although there is a lot of building going on there and hopefully on the upswing. The high school has a bad reputation for gangs amongst the various teaching professionals I've talked to as well. We changed our minds about building there for other reasons, but the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't been listening to a lot of Adelaide hype. I live in Adelaide and have listened to the opinions of people who were born and raised here. When we bought land in Noarlunga my co-workers and Australian friends explained that it is a rough area although there is a lot of building going on there and hopefully on the upswing. The high school has a bad reputation for gangs amongst the various teaching professionals I've talked to as well. We changed our minds about building there for other reasons, but the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.
Dorothy i have lived in Adelaide for 43 years ,i lived in the northern suburbs for most of that time and it is no were as bad as a lot of people make out,Elizabeth has one bad area {davoren park] and noarlunga has huntsfield heights, i suspect you live around prospect /Blair athol areas, if i am correct you have two of the worst areas in adelaide with in 2 km of you,Mansfield park[ Drug city] and kilkenny.
Do you Know Dorothy i have moved people in Burnside who admit to never having been to Elizabeth, but they no it is a terrible place ,don,t let Adelaide hype get to you. you will end up being a wowser ..............mm
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Dorothy i have lived in Adelaide for 43 years ,i lived in the northern suburbs for most of that time and it is no were as bad as a lot of people make out,Elizabeth has one bad area {davoren park] and noarlunga has huntsfield heights, i suspect you live around prospect /Blair athol areas, if i am correct you have two of the worst areas in adelaide with in 2 km of you,Mansfield park[ Drug city] and kilkenny.
Do you Know Dorothy i have moved people in Burnside who admit to never having been to Elizabeth, but they no it is a terrible place ,don,t let Adelaide hype get to you. you will end up being a wowser ..............mm
if its any help we lived in seacliffe park/seaview downs in south side of adelaide and thought it was great, loads of schools, ten mins to beach, marion shopping centre on doorstep and bus route/ tram/ train to city plus easy to drive as well. You maybe need to check out where you will be working first though. We have friends who live in north who love it there as well, couldn't see any thing wrong with where they lived, munno para area and tea tree gardens.Babs.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:56 am
Still alive

No, I don't live in Blair Athol/Prospect. I'm around where Greenacres/Klemzig/Windsor Gardens meet near Muller Rd & Northeast Rd. Also not such a great area, but it could be worse. One week before we moved into our house a young man was shot while in the midst of a drug deal a couple doors down from our house. He, conveniently, didn't see anything, so probably carries on business with the shooters. And FYI, I have been to Elizabeth and have seen for myself what it's like. I have also heard from people I work with who were carjacked in Noarlunga a couple of years ago just outside the shopping centre. Only wish I could afford to live in Burnside but on only one income, can't.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:55 am
Banned

No, I don't live in Blair Athol/Prospect. I'm around where Greenacres/Klemzig/Windsor Gardens meet near Muller Rd & Northeast Rd. Also not such a great area, but it could be worse. One week before we moved into our house a young man was shot while in the midst of a drug deal a couple doors down from our house. He, conveniently, didn't see anything, so probably carries on business with the shooters. And FYI, I have been to Elizabeth and have seen for myself what it's like. I have also heard from people I work with who were carjacked in Noarlunga a couple of years ago just outside the shopping centre. Only wish I could afford to live in Burnside but on only one income, can't.
Dorothy, i have seen hypos in the gutters in Glenelg and St peters, Adelaides premium areas, so its not only the low eco/areas that suffer.
I have relatives in Hamiton, Ontario .
My aunt reckons its agreat place to live, most Canadians i have moved reckon its a s**T hole ........GO figure ............mm
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

you can also find alot of info on Adelaide on this forum http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

I live in the Wynn Vale area which is North East of the city, and have been here for only 4 months.

When we was deciding on what suburb we wanted to live in we got a lot of negative feedback from people in forums like these about the North, especially Elizabeth.

But as my family have lived in the Elizabeth area for over 40 years, the north was always going to be our choice.

We lived in my relatives house in Elizabeth Vale while they were in the UK, and in that time we met some lovely people.

Alright they might not have had 2 pennies to rub together and their clothes looked shabby, but they were genuine people.

And we also saw people that you wouldn't go near with a barge pole, but coming from South London we've been used to that.

The way it's going is that the South suburbs will be choc a bloc with expats and rising prices, while in the North we can buy more house for our dollars.

Go on all you newbies get down to Hallett Cove etc, etc, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by majortom

The way it's going is that the South suburbs will be choc a bloc with expats and rising prices, while in the North we can buy more house for our dollars.

Go on all you newbies get down to Hallett Cove etc, etc, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, I've bought a house now I need it to get really busy up here so that when I sell it's worth twice as much as I paid for it.

There's a few 'rough' parts in Elizabeth, but it's not all that bad. I do suppose it depends where you come from though. If you come from a 'posh' area of the UK then it's going to look bad.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy, i have seen hypos in the gutters in Glenelg and St peters, Adelaides premium areas, so its not only the low eco/areas that suffer.
I have relatives in Hamiton, Ontario .
My aunt reckons its agreat place to live, most Canadians i have moved reckon its a s**T hole ........GO figure ............mm
I spent 43 years just outside of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, so can tell you that they are mostly right. Hamilton is a city of nearly 400,000, so hardly comparable to Elizabeth. Parts of Hamilton are lovely and green (Westdale, East Mountain, Rosedale) but others are very industrial dirty and scum. Since the Ontario government closed a lot of the psychiatric hospitals including the HPH most of the former inpatients now roam the streets. The downtown core of Hamilton is for the most part boarded up and unsafe to walk at night - or the daytime for that matter. You go 5 miles east across the Bay Bridge to Burlington and it's the polar opposite. Mostly upper middle class homes and very little poverty. Even going a couple of miles west of Hamilton is like night and day. Don't know if you have ever been to the States, but Hamilton is a lot like Pittsburgh.
I don't doubt that there are bad people in "good" neighbourhoods and good people in "bad" neighbourhoods. Where I live is not such a great suburb but I personally have found nothing but kindness from the people here. Likewise the first few months we lived in Surrey Downs. I'm sure there are a lot of very nice people in the areas I suggested were not the best. What I did say was that this was the information given me by people who were born and raised in Adelaide and an article written by the Advertiser last year. I think it was about March or April 2006 when I saw it. I'll see if I can find the link and post it for you.
Really it's all a matter of personal choice anyway. I know a lot of people love the southern suburbs, but for me I like being in the north.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.