Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide Area - Seeking Advice

Adelaide Area - Seeking Advice

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

jd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant future
Default Adelaide Area - Seeking Advice

Hello all,

Brand new to this forum and looking for a little bit of advice from anyone who might happen to be in the IT industry in Adelaide.

I have a PR175 visa and am planning to make the move over to Oz in July this year - although I will be over in early April to valid the visa. My wife and I have researched various areas and like what we see in Adelaide as it seems to offer city life without all of the hussel and bussel of a Sydney or Melbourne.

I`ve worked in the IT industry for 10 years in the UK and Ireland and have been running my own small IT consultancy for the past 2 years. The drawback I seem to find with Adelaide is that no matter where I look there seems very little on offer in the way of IT jobs. When we first started to look at Australia back in 2008 we did look at South Australia but at that time there were no IT occupations listed on the state "in demand list". I know this was still the case upto about half way through 2009. I now see on the most recent Jan 2010 list, the SA Govt list a whole host of IT occupations - I find this puzzling as to why they would add the IT to their list if it`s not reflected in the job market at present. I appreciate that I will not find as many opportunities in Adelaide as opposed to Sydney or Melbourne but I would have expected that a city of over a million people would have more on offer.

I would appreciate any helpful advice regarding IT employment or the current state of the industry in the Adelaide area.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:15 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Adelaide Area - Seeking Advice

Originally Posted by jd6969uk
Hello all,

Brand new to this forum and looking for a little bit of advice from anyone who might happen to be in the IT industry in Adelaide.

I have a PR175 visa and am planning to make the move over to Oz in July this year - although I will be over in early April to valid the visa. My wife and I have researched various areas and like what we see in Adelaide as it seems to offer city life without all of the hussel and bussel of a Sydney or Melbourne.

I`ve worked in the IT industry for 10 years in the UK and Ireland and have been running my own small IT consultancy for the past 2 years. The drawback I seem to find with Adelaide is that no matter where I look there seems very little on offer in the way of IT jobs. When we first started to look at Australia back in 2008 we did look at South Australia but at that time there were no IT occupations listed on the state "in demand list". I know this was still the case upto about half way through 2009. I now see on the most recent Jan 2010 list, the SA Govt list a whole host of IT occupations - I find this puzzling as to why they would add the IT to their list if it`s not reflected in the job market at present. I appreciate that I will not find as many opportunities in Adelaide as opposed to Sydney or Melbourne but I would have expected that a city of over a million people would have more on offer.

I would appreciate any helpful advice regarding IT employment or the current state of the industry in the Adelaide area.
Hi,

Not sure if you put this towards the folks on the Poms in Adelaide website. May have more a response?

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

jd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant futurejd6969uk has a brilliant future

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jd6969uk
Hello all,

I have a PR175 visa and am planning to make the move over to Oz in July this year - although I will be over in early April to valid the visa.
You don't say when the visa was issued, but ALL family members must enter Australia before the first entry date.