Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - Any Information???

Adelaide - Any Information???

Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Adelaide - Any Information???

HI,
we live in Adelaide in the Southern Suburbs, Morphett vale, next to Reynella and Happy Valley.
We are very happy here, 10 mins to beach, swimming pool, ice rink, bowling alley and big shops and only 30-40 mins to city dependant on time of day.
Schools are good and we havent experienced any crime or thuggery!!(yet)
We have been here for a year and are well happy so far.

Nick
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Hi

We've been in Adelaide almost a year now. To be honest we hated it when we first got here and things have been a struggle and at one point seriously started making steps to go back to UK. I won't bore you with the details of that though. Anyway we "like" it now and who knows we may grow to love it.

We live in North Haven which is a really nice area, close to the beach, marina, not far from places like Semaphore, Henley. We've got a 14 year old, a 2 year old and a baby who is 3 months. The eldest has struggled from day one and still wants to go home so you can imagine it's been hard watching her like this. She rarely ventures out and her social life is "crap". Where we live there's lots of nice parks for the younger ones. Also we've joined a few good toddler groups - you've just got to try a few and then stick with the ones you like. We've also just started a "baby and young toddler" group on the Adelaide Brits site.

When I first got here I struggled getting used to the differences in shopping and moaned constantly about missing Asda and Tesco but I've got used to it now. Although my one bug bear is the trolleys here are not set up for parents with a toddler and a baby so it's impossible for me to shop during the day with the kids - my husband has to do the shopping on his way home from work.

I've met some good friends whilst we've been here - English and Australian but not many can I call "really good friends" but that obviously takes time. We've also come across a bit of name calling, ie Pommy******, P*ss off back to England etc which we have been surprised about but hey..... whatever. In general most people have been really nice.

Can't think of anything else but if you want to ask anything specific just ask and I will try to help.

Good luck
Joanne
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Hi

We've been in Adelaide almost a year now. To be honest we hated it when we first got here and things have been a struggle and at one point seriously started making steps to go back to UK. I won't bore you with the details of that though. Anyway we "like" it now and who knows we may grow to love it.

We live in North Haven which is a really nice area, close to the beach, marina, not far from places like Semaphore, Henley. We've got a 14 year old, a 2 year old and a baby who is 3 months. The eldest has struggled from day one and still wants to go home so you can imagine it's been hard watching her like this. She rarely ventures out and her social life is "crap". Where we live there's lots of nice parks for the younger ones. Also we've joined a few good toddler groups - you've just got to try a few and then stick with the ones you like. We've also just started a "baby and young toddler" group on the Adelaide Brits site.

When I first got here I struggled getting used to the differences in shopping and moaned constantly about missing Asda and Tesco but I've got used to it now. Although my one bug bear is the trolleys here are not set up for parents with a toddler and a baby so it's impossible for me to shop during the day with the kids - my husband has to do the shopping on his way home from work.

I've met some good friends whilst we've been here - English and Australian but not many can I call "really good friends" but that obviously takes time. We've also come across a bit of name calling, ie Pommy******, P*ss off back to England etc which we have been surprised about but hey..... whatever. In general most people have been really nice.

Can't think of anything else but if you want to ask anything specific just ask and I will try to help.

Good luck
Joanne

Hi

Sounds like you've a bit of a rough ride. I'm glad you seem to be settling a bit better now though.

Wendy
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:50 pm
Avoiding all Work!

Dymmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Any other suggestions on good/bad locations?

We plan to move there early 2007, doing a reccie May this year - 2 weeks in Adelaide after a week in Cairns and Sydney with the rello's. I'll post some info when I get back.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
These areas I would avoid ( North ) Elizabeth, Smithfield,Kilburn,Port Adelaide,these areas have an awful lot of problems with unemployment,hoons.
( South ) Aldinga,Port Noarlunga,bearing in mind a lot of the problems are due to high unemployment in these areas !!!!!
The nicer areas are Adelaide Hills,Mount Barker, Stirling, Blackwood,( Coast )
Brighton, Glenelg, both very expensive, but really nice !!!! alll the bst with your new adventure.
Thanks for your reply - we wouldn't have known of these areas. Thanks again.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:48 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
These areas I would avoid ( North ) Elizabeth, Smithfield,Kilburn,Port Adelaide,these areas have an awful lot of problems with unemployment,hoons.
( South ) Aldinga,Port Noarlunga,bearing in mind a lot of the problems are due to high unemployment in these areas !!!!!
The nicer areas are Adelaide Hills,Mount Barker, Stirling, Blackwood,( Coast )
Brighton, Glenelg, both very expensive, but really nice !!!! alll the bst with your new adventure.
Is'nt Elizabeth full of British immigrants who immigrated in the 50's and 60's,
Port Adelaides gone ahead alot in the last 10 years.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:18 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

We've also come across a bit of name calling, ie Pommy******, P*ss off back to England etc which we have been surprised about but hey..... whatever.
What was the context for these insults ?
I'm sad and surprised to hear this. I haven't faced anything like that myself in nearly 3 years.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by welshpom
What was the context for these insults ?
I'm sad and surprised to hear this. I haven't faced anything like that myself in nearly 3 years.

My husband went to lock up the cars on our drive and a car drove past with someone in it shouting out "pommy******"

My daughter has been told on numerous occasions to f**k off back to England by people at school.

We haven't made any enemies or had any run-ins with anyone so who knows what possesses people to be like this - they give Australians a bad name!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickos12
HI,
we live in Adelaide in the Southern Suburbs, Morphett vale, next to Reynella and Happy Valley.
We are very happy here, 10 mins to beach, swimming pool, ice rink, bowling alley and big shops and only 30-40 mins to city dependant on time of day.
Schools are good and we havent experienced any crime or thuggery!!(yet)
We have been here for a year and are well happy so far.

Nick
Thanks for your reply, its great to speak to people who have actually done the move. Do you have children at school, what age and do you find that they are coping well with school as I understand that the education is two years behind?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Misty33 is on a distinguished road

Hi
My husband and I are moving to Adelaide at end of August this year with our dog, Misty. We will be staying initially in Golden Grove with friends until we find our own place. We visited for three weeks a few years ago and that is what initiated our decision to try for a visa. There seems to be a bit of everything for everyone - lovely beaches, lush vineyards (Barossa valley), great restaurants, green hills and really nice houses. Our friend has lived there for about 9 years now and loves it. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Misty33
Hi
My husband and I are moving to Adelaide at end of August this year with our dog, Misty. We will be staying initially in Golden Grove with friends until we find our own place. We visited for three weeks a few years ago and that is what initiated our decision to try for a visa. There seems to be a bit of everything for everyone - lovely beaches, lush vineyards (Barossa valley), great restaurants, green hills and really nice houses. Our friend has lived there for about 9 years now and loves it. Hope this helps.
Hi, thanks for your reply - every little bit of information is a great help to us at the moment. We have a dog but have decided to leave her behind as she is very nervous of other people.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Good luck
Joanne
Sorry to hear you didn't settle at first but hope you are settling now. It sounds like you are really trying hard and good luck. Have you read the other threads regarding different areas in Adelaide? Don't know if you plan to move and try another area!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:14 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hiya

There are good bad & uglies, wherever you go in Adelaide ( just like anywhere else) Although i will admit there seems to be a lot more 6 fingered folk here hhhmmmmmm

Anyway, weve been here just about a year now! All in all, its pretty good, but we struggle with it at times. It can be a bit boring The people are mostly friendly, and its pretty laid back ( too laid back sometimes) There are nice areas North & South. We picked the South as we wanted to be close to the coast. There are some really nice places to live, at all different price ranges.

The costly beachy suburbs are Henley, West Beach, Glenelg,Somerton Pk, Brighton, Seacliff. For the leafy burbs, Blackwood, Belair, Coromandel etc etc in the foothills ( $$ costly again) but to strike a balance, lots of people are living in Happy Valley, Flagstaff & Aberfoyle Pk) we live here, very pretty n leafy. The prices are on the up, but still get a decent sized plot fot your money, and its only a 5 minute drive to the hills and a 10 min drive to beaches. Hallet Cove on the coast seems to be very popular with the Brits, high up with nice views, ( but the beach is crap) I could go on n on, but you really need to see where your working & schooling and $$$mortgage to actually pin point where you wanna be, as the prices vary quite a lot! and what we could afford 2 years ago, is not what we can get now

Take Adelaide as you find it.. dont have any preconceptions of it being or looking like the other places in Australia, this is most peoples downfall, as they keep comparing it ( i do!) Its a "nice" place to "live" but no way near the wow factor of other places.

If you got kids, then it tends to be best set up for families..

Enjoy, It is a nice place...

Karen
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:02 am
Stinking Rich Member

Ersatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Adelaide - Any Information???

Originally Posted by smithfield22
We are moving to Adelaide in September 2006 and would like any information anybody has. Its all so scary, not knowing the country. We have never been to Adelaide, and would like to know if there are any bad areas to stay away from. We also have two children who will be going to school, again does anyone know of any good schools, this could then decide where to rent a house. Any advice about Adelaide would be good, like I say we are going to arrive not knowing anything, so the any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, look forward to hearing from anyone in Adelaide.
Adelaide is a retirement village, a few things to see and do, and once you have done those few things i.e. visited the hills, Glenelg, Victor Harbour and one or two more, there is NOTHING left.

Jobs are NOT in abundance, to tell you the truth there are very few opportunities for suitably qualified or experienced workers in SA, the pay is very poor, cost of living is very very similar to the UK (but with low salary, it works out its more expensive here).

Points to note:

Churches everywhere, great if you are inclined.

Flies everywhere, high in protein I am told, eating out is a constant arm swinging exercise.

Beaches aren't great, can be smelly and full of seaweed.

Good if you are retired, funeral parlours everywhere so not far to travel for yourl ast move!!

Huge amount of British immigrants leaving for Brisbane etc, somewhere with a life.

Future prospects for your children are non-existent, they will depart for the lights when they can, unless they enjoy driving around like the local hoons (hoons are EVERYWHERE in SA). :scared:

Schooling, well......... enough said!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

City centre.... mmmmmm different, a very small town centre.

City is very small, but easy to get about, but nothing there!!!

If you have the opportunity to go somewhere else in Australia, GO, little old Adelaide is "little and old and it's the land the rest of Australia FORGOT"!!!!

As they say horses for courses............

Ersatz
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya

There are good bad & uglies, wherever you go in Adelaide ( just like anywhere else) Although i will admit there seems to be a lot more 6 fingered folk here hhhmmmmmm

Anyway, weve been here just about a year now! All in all, its pretty good, but we struggle with it at times. It can be a bit boring The people are mostly friendly, and its pretty laid back ( too laid back sometimes) There are nice areas North & South. We picked the South as we wanted to be close to the coast. There are some really nice places to live, at all different price ranges.

The costly beachy suburbs are Henley, West Beach, Glenelg,Somerton Pk, Brighton, Seacliff. For the leafy burbs, Blackwood, Belair, Coromandel etc etc in the foothills ( $$ costly again) but to strike a balance, lots of people are living in Happy Valley, Flagstaff & Aberfoyle Pk) we live here, very pretty n leafy. The prices are on the up, but still get a decent sized plot fot your money, and its only a 5 minute drive to the hills and a 10 min drive to beaches. Hallet Cove on the coast seems to be very popular with the Brits, high up with nice views, ( but the beach is crap) I could go on n on, but you really need to see where your working & schooling and $$$mortgage to actually pin point where you wanna be, as the prices vary quite a lot! and what we could afford 2 years ago, is not what we can get now

Take Adelaide as you find it.. dont have any preconceptions of it being or looking like the other places in Australia, this is most peoples downfall, as they keep comparing it ( i do!) Its a "nice" place to "live" but no way near the wow factor of other places.

If you got kids, then it tends to be best set up for families..

Enjoy, It is a nice place...

Karen
Great reply, thanks. Do you have children? If so, do they go to school and what do you rate the school like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.