Reload this Page >

Adelaide any good?

Adelaide any good?

Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:16 am
Just Joined

chezzybabeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide any good?

hi all
Thinking about moving to Australia, through hubbys job, we can transfer to Adelaide (if successful).Whats it like ? I appreciate everyone has different tastes, but we like warm weather, beach, not too busy but close enough for schools etc.We live in a semi rural village at the moment with 2 kids & 3 dogs Local shopping centre 3 miles away, like something similar.
Can anyone advice
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Happy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really nice
Default Re: Adelaide any good?

Originally Posted by chezzybabeuk
hi all
Thinking about moving to Australia, through hubbys job, we can transfer to Adelaide (if successful).Whats it like ? I appreciate everyone has different tastes, but we like warm weather, beach, not too busy but close enough for schools etc.We live in a semi rural village at the moment with 2 kids & 3 dogs Local shopping centre 3 miles away, like something similar.
Can anyone advice
Hi Ya
We moved to Adelaide last year from a small village in the UK, we all like it a lot here.
The beaches and hills and city are all a short distances away and its fairly easy to get around Adelaide.
Adelaide suits us fine as family and we are now settling down well in to work and school routines and have also a new pet dog to add to our family.
The weather is colder here in the winter months but no were as bad as winter months in the UK
Good luck with your Discission
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

CatWithClaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We moved to Adelaide from a small country village in Essex about two and a half years ago. In my opinion it's a great place, especially to bring up kids - there is plenty to do, from the usual beach stuff, to walks/cycles in the hills, and of course, any number of sports to choose from, the house prices are not totally out of reach, there are lots of green parks and trees, the people are friendly, the pace of life slower, and the sky blue the majority of the time. Even in the winter where the temperatures do drop (and boy, do you feel it with tiled floors and no central heating/double glazing) there are still beautiful bright days - I often walk the dog in hat, scarf, gloves and sunnies in the winter! The heat is a very 'dry' heat, with (usually) low humidity, so even on the warmest days we get gully breezes.
Also, being a relatively small capital city, everything is within easy reach - beaches, hills, city, shops, all within about 30 minutes drive from just about anywhere around Adelaide. And of course, don't forget all our wonderful wine regions (Barossa, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale...)....hic!
Good luck!
Diane
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Right, I'm sold !
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chezzybabeuk
hi all
Can anyone advice

You'll get warm weather (well except for some of the winter) plus it's not humid so it's not too sticky.

There are some lovely beaches here, some like Glenelg may be a little busy, but there are some quieter ones about as well. I like Noarlunga as there's not usually that many people there.

There are two or three primary schools in most suburbs and at least one high school nearby. There isn't anywhere in Adelaide that I'd call overly busy.

Shopping centres all over the place, some large, some small and some in between.

I once asked an Australian what Adelaide was like and she said it's like a big countryside town. I think that just about sums it up.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:11 am
Just Joined

*Sigh* is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We've lived in Adelaide for nearly 2 years and it is as previously said very nice and if you come from a small town or village I'm sure you'll like it. However we're not and we crave the bigger city atmosphere hence our planned move to Brisbane in June.

Cheers
Si
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

this may help http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Bob Chukka is an unknown quantity at this point

Crumbs it's been a while since I was last on this website.....Almost 2.5 years ago before we left the UK.....Kids are driving me mad, so I have "snuck off" for some quite time.

Adelaide is a superb place to live.....Go for it!

Budgets allowing the most exclusive parts are Unley, North Adelaide and Burnside (close to the city).

Most of us English folk decide to live by the coast in places like Hallett Cove, Marino and Brighton....All very nice places to live.

- Weather (varies from 10degC to 40degC)
- Eating Out (Cheap)
- Driving through Adelaide Hills (quite superb)
- House Prices
- Friendly People
Dis-likes: -
- Flipping Flies
- Pubs (not the same atmosphere)

Drop me a reply if you want any more details.

Good Luck

Cheers

Bob Chukka
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

chezzybabeuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if the people are as nice as you lot, we,re there. Its early days yet we might bottle out!!!
Really would like a bigger house though and more sun, and i,ll always have that what if? if we dont go.
Will keep you posted