British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/adelaide-583853/)

macas Jan 13th 2009 5:18 am

Adelaide

Was offered a job in adelaide yesterday. Also thought there was one for the father in law but they thought he was 49 and not 59 so i got a ring of the agent telling me the wife's parents could not go. They were gutted and so were we. They were going to lend us the money to get there. Dont know what to do now.

Iwannabethere Jan 13th 2009 6:32 am

Re: Adelaide

Originally Posted by macas (Post 7160204)
Was offered a job in adelaide yesterday. Also thought there was one for the father in law but they thought he was 49 and not 59 so i got a ring of the agent telling me the wife's parents could not go. They were gutted and so were we. They were going to lend us the money to get there. Dont know what to do now.

Happy and gutted for you all at the same time!! You don't say whether it is a recruitment agent or a migration agent. Could try talking to a migration agent to see if there are alternatives. Will keep fingers crossed for you.

macas Jan 13th 2009 4:27 pm

Its a recruitment agent that got me the job but they have a migration agent in uk. He told me weeks ago parents could not go. They have now found me 2 jobs and wife really wants to go now. Just money the pproblem now.

Iwannabethere Jan 13th 2009 8:11 pm

It couldn't hurt to have a free initial consultation with an independent migration consultant. Who knows, the one attached to the recruitment agent *may* only focus on particular visas, the ones that fit in around the recruitment agencies agenda. Nothing wrong with this, IMO, but you just might get alternative options from someone else.

Even if they give you the same answer you'll have lost nothing.

Can't help with the money though! Don't have any left!

Good luck

Adi

macas Jan 13th 2009 8:19 pm

We have a new life abroad looking into it also. We have told them at the time it was an all or nothing deal. If one could not go the other could not go. But after whats happened it looks like we have to go over first and then sponsor parents on a retirement visa.

Grayling Jan 13th 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by macas (Post 7163657)
We have a new life abroad looking into it also. We have told them at the time it was an all or nothing deal. If one could not go the other could not go. But after whats happened it looks like we have to go over first and then sponsor parents on a retirement visa.

A retirement visa is hugely expensive.

they would need a bond of around $750000 plus an annual income of over $50000.

If they pass the balance of family test then a parent visa may be an option when you have been in Australia a couple of years.

G