Adelaide

Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adelaide

i think people need to prepared to take any work in the short-term with a view to finding the "perfect" job for them in the longer term. If you move thinking you can walk into an identical job as the one you left then you are going to struggle. I was a tax consultant in the UK but don't expect to find work doing the same in Australia very easily as the legal/tax system is different - however, my qualifications and work experience have give me a wide range of transferable job skills which should enable me to find temp work of some kind in the finance/admin field relatively quickly - enabling me to build up my Oz experience while looking for the perfect job for me.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Sorry OzzieClaire2b, I meant residency! As in we have to stay in SA for 2 to 3 years before we get residency in order to move to another area of Australia if we wish.

Ahoy there Seacaptin, (liking the name!) sounds like Adelaide is a place where people have to struggle to get employment. Im sure its because its not a very big city. Does it not put you off a bit about coming here when you hear how difficult it is for your family members?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows about starting/buying their own business here.

Thanks for the comments guys and good luck to everyone.
If you are on the provisional SIR, I believe you can transfer it to other regional areas of Australia, although Adelaide is the only capital city that you are eligible to live in. Check this with someone who knows what they're talking about, but it might be you could move to, say, regional QLD, for example, if you find a job up there, etc. It just widens your options in terms of searching for jobs.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Adelaide is a tough nut to crack, I didn't have any hassles finding work there (accountant) but to settle in and make friends took YEARS rather than months, the people there are so parochial that the first question they will often ask on meeting a new face is "What school did you go to?"
All this from state more known for serial killings than anywhere else in Aus

So sympathy from me, been there done that.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:46 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Adelaide is a tough nut to crack, I didn't have any hassles finding work there (accountant) but to settle in and make friends took YEARS rather than months, the people there are so parochial that the first question they will often ask on meeting a new face is "What school did you go to?"

What a stupid inane ,post go and stand in the corner......idiot,,,,,,,,,,,mm
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Drivel.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! I feel better now!! no really, i guess you are entitled to your opinion, thank you for sharing your experience of adelaide. How long were you here for? Are u in Sydney now? Cant beleive people will actually ask such a question (school) :curse: Glad I havent met anyone like that. Am starting work tomorrow so hoping I can meet people then. fingers crossed!

I have heard that there is less crime in Adelaide than sydney and other big cities, maybe there were a few isolated incidents of serial killings that were so rare they are the most talked about?

But i suposse its so hard to adjust here as we have come from london and knew so many people and its a such a big change. Loved Sydney when I travelled there a week ago, but will have to see if Adelaide grows on me. am sure It will get easier in the summer.

We have to stay here for 2 years anyway, would rather stay here in a city than live in a small town or village somewhere else in OZ.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Each to there own........
Adelaide has been good to us, we have worked hard in our careers and in getting out there and making friends. 2yrs and 9 months on.......hubby and I have great jobs and an excellent work/life balance.
Its hard but it can happen

Jacqui
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

wherever you go in the world its going to take time to settle in and make real friends as opposed to acquaintances.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

My OH and I were really lucky when we landed in Adelaide as OH had a job already (all be it overseas) I started looking 6 months later, and luck was still shinning got a great job! So for us Adelaide is the place to be.

My best friend and family moved over a few weeks ago and I have to say for them, its been who they know? Someone was leaving from my workplace, so I recommended my mate, and after the interviews she got the job. Her OH was wisked down to the local front bar (Friday afternoon, around 3pm we found to be the best) and RSL, got chatting with a few of the local tradies (hes a plasterer) got taken on the following monday, and so far things are going great

I know its not plain sailing, and sometimes you have to come out of the comfort zone. But good luck to you all, as bad as its sounds try the local bar, also met some great new friends in them, and of all things learnt to play darts!!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

wow! I feel better now!! no really, i guess you are entitled to your opinion, thank you for sharing your experience of adelaide. How long were you here for? Are u in Sydney now? Cant beleive people will actually ask such a question (school) :curse: Glad I havent met anyone like that. Am starting work tomorrow so hoping I can meet people then. fingers crossed!

I have heard that there is less crime in Adelaide than sydney and other big cities, maybe there were a few isolated incidents of serial killings that were so rare they are the most talked about?

But i suposse its so hard to adjust here as we have come from london and knew so many people and its a such a big change. Loved Sydney when I travelled there a week ago, but will have to see if Adelaide grows on me. am sure It will get easier in the summer.

We have to stay here for 2 years anyway, would rather stay here in a city than live in a small town or village somewhere else in OZ.

We are having a coffee meet on Friday in the city if you want to come along. It really does help to make some friends. Let me know if you want to come and I'll PM you the link to the meet, and my mobile number just in case you can't find us.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We had no choice but to move interstate. My hub eventually got a very good offer from a large multinational company but it was in Perth. We did try a commuter marriage for a couple of months, but that's not what we came here for.
Same happend to my husband 6 months no jobs in Adelaide we also did interstate move to the Gold Coast, as there is just so much more jobs for what my OH does, but are we happy here, no we both loved it in Adelaide & made loads friends, here we have made loads of friends, but not happy.
now that my OH got the Aussie experince we are looking to go back to Adelaide, hopefully as soon as he has job offer.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Aug 17th 2008 at 11:58 am.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Sadly Adelaide is a hard nut to crack, If It was a bit easier Id go bk there without a doubt, but Perth seems to offer more int eh way of work so it has to be perth we thinks.

When we lived in Adelaide, we never once got asked what school we went to? how bizarre

Good Luck to all of you heading to Adelaide or other parts of OZ, were all very stupid or very brave,lol

Bluekipper
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Sadly Adelaide is a hard nut to crack, If It was a bit easier Id go bk there without a doubt, but Perth seems to offer more int eh way of work so it has to be perth we thinks.

When we lived in Adelaide, we never once got asked what school we went to? how bizarre

Good Luck to all of you heading to Adelaide or other parts of OZ, were all very stupid or very brave,lol

Bluekipper

It depends what job you do I think. My OH got the first job he applied for - but then he is a sparky and there is more than enough work to go round for them when licenced (we budgeted for him to be out of work for 12 months to get licenced, but he got it quicker than that).

I found it a bit harder to get Admin work, after about 10 interviews (and 3 months! - yes it took THAT long for the interviews to come through) I finally got a temp job through an agency and then another straight away when that had done. The first job I got rang the agency and asked for me back but I was already in another job by then. I am still working in the second job which is at the Trading Post - I have impressed the cutomers and staff so much they are reluctant to let me go even though I am only covering maternity - there is talks of 'making' me a position. So for me, once I had my foot in the door it got better. It is that start that is the hard part - obviously that is assuming you have a job that is needed here
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all the reasurring replies! I think if someone asked me what school I went to I would say "sorry mate, it was so long ago i dont even remember! harr!"

Farideh, good to hear that you miss adelaide after living in the Gold Coast which from what I hear is supossed to be a very exciting place. May I ask, are you persian? My auntie is called Farideh!

Thanks for the invite Wendy. I met up with Pinkie and she told me you were lovely and so helpful! Told her I would be interested in coming to the next meet up. I will be working in North Adelaide on Friday. What time is the meet and Where? also how long will you all be down there for? I think it would be easier if i knew some people here. Its anoying because we actually have many friends and relatives in OZ but they are all in Sydney!

If anyone knows anything about starting businesses here I would greatly appreciate it.

Good to hear positive stuff about living in Adelaide
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks guys for all the reasurring replies! I think if someone asked me what school I went to I would say "sorry mate, it was so long ago i dont even remember! harr!"

Farideh, good to hear that you miss adelaide after living in the Gold Coast which from what I hear is supossed to be a very exciting place. May I ask, are you persian? My auntie is called Farideh!

Thanks for the invite Wendy. I met up with Pinkie and she told me you were lovely and so helpful! Told her I would be interested in coming to the next meet up. I will be working in North Adelaide on Friday. What time is the meet and Where? also how long will you all be down there for? I think it would be easier if i knew some people here. Its anoying because we actually have many friends and relatives in OZ but they are all in Sydney!

If anyone knows anything about starting businesses here I would greatly appreciate it.

Good to hear positive stuff about living in Adelaide
You met E?! - we aren't all as nutty as her - honest (Only kidding, I love her really )

We are meeting at 10:30am in the city, just behind the Telstra building. We will be there for a good few hours, probably around 1:30 - 2pm ish. Tell work you have a blinding headache when you get in there in the morning, and leave at 11am Full details are in the meet up forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553737

I have met a lot more Poms here that love Adelaide than ones that don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.