Adelaide

Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Re: Adelaide

I'm sorry to hear about some of you not being able to find good employment.

I feel that there are 'jobs' out there which will help you pay the bills, but it depends on what you are willing to do to make ends meet.

It is true people think the grass is greener on the other side but if you think (unless you are in a skills minority and its highly wanted) you can get off the plane and have a chance of getting a job in your chosen profession in a click of the fingers then you have to be kidding yourself (I mean that with total respect).

I think people think that because its a 1st world country where the first language is english it would be laden with opportunity.

Like one of the other peeps in a previous post put, get out there and network with other people. Do a job you would probably hate but still gives you some form of income you may meet someone you will give you a bigger opportunity.

I think when we leave the UK we appreciate what we left behind in some ways. i.e. the UK job market which we would normally complain about!

Don't give up, keep trying. You make the opportunity ultimately, it won't come to you. Don't be disheartened if you can't find a job that pays the same as when you before you left the UK. Hopefully you didn't leave the UK because of the hope of finding something better in a job in Aussie.

Good luck to all...and to me as i'll be over there in December in the same position. (I am fortunate though that my missus already has a job lined up there as a nurse. but non the less I will work hard to find something that will help me contribute to our outgoings).

Last edited by jam76; Aug 9th 2008 at 9:34 am.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
I'm sorry to hear about some of you not being able to find good employment.

I feel that there are 'jobs' out there which will help you pay the bills, but it depends on what you are willing to do to make ends meet.

It is true people think the grass is greener on the other side but if you think (unless you are in a skills minority and its highly wanted) you can get off the plane and have a chance of getting a job in your chosen profession in a click of the fingers then you have to be kidding yourself (I mean that with total respect).

I think people think that because its a 1st world country where the first language is english it would be laden with opportunity.

Like one of the other peeps in a previous post put, get out there and network with other people. Do a job you would probably hate but still gives you some form of income you may meet someone you will give you a bigger opportunity.

I think when we leave the UK we appreciate what we left behind in some ways. i.e. the UK job market which we would normally complain about!

Don't give up, keep trying. You make the opportunity ultimately, it won't come to you. Don't be disheartened if you can't find a job that pays the same as when you before you left the UK. Hopefully you didn't leave the UK because of the hope of finding something better in a job in Aussie.

Good luck to all...and to me as i'll be over there in December in the same position. (I am fortunate though that my missus already has a job lined up there as a nurse. but non the less I will work hard to find something that will help me contribute to our outgoings).
While I agree with most of this, you are not in the same situation as the OP. You're still in UK, so have not experienced the "no Australian experience" thing. We were and I understand how difficult it can be. When we lived in Adelaide my husband (electronics engineer with 20 years of experience) could not find a job in his field, so he started looking at other things. He went to the corner petrol station to see if he could pick up the odd shift so we could buy groceries, but without Australian experience they just didn't want him. The local bike shop said that without Aussie experience he couldn't possibly know anything about motorcycles. Well, he's ridden and owned bikes since he was 15.

It finally took an interstate move after 8 months of unemployment for him to get a paycheque. And not for lack of trying. Honest to God he sent out close to 100 CVs every week. That doen't include the cold calling he did.

Adelaide is a very small place in terms of work.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
While I agree with most of this, you are not in the same situation as the OP. You're still in UK, so have not experienced the "no Australian experience" thing. We were and I understand how difficult it can be. When we lived in Adelaide my husband (electronics engineer with 20 years of experience) could not find a job in his field, so he started looking at other things. He went to the corner petrol station to see if he could pick up the odd shift so we could buy groceries, but without Australian experience they just didn't want him. The local bike shop said that without Aussie experience he couldn't possibly know anything about motorcycles. Well, he's ridden and owned bikes since he was 15.

It finally took an interstate move after 8 months of unemployment for him to get a paycheque. And not for lack of trying. Honest to God he sent out close to 100 CVs every week. That doen't include the cold calling he did.

Adelaide is a very small place in terms of work.
I totally agree with you Dorothy. I do believe however that networking works. Its kinda bad when you have to find opportunity through other people than your own skills and experiences but if thats the way the water is flowing then I say go with the flow. I totally concur with some peoples thoughts though. They work their butts off to make a good living in the UK, sit exams work long hours in the UK...they don't wanna go half way around the world to stock shelves. I was just saying to my missus, some people do actually believe Aussie is like the UK but in a warmer climate. But they have a totally different system to doing things from working, banking to education to their financial system amongst lots of other things. I can understand why they won't hire an immigrant in 'some' circumstances. With regards to your bhubbies experience with the bike shop work, its down to people attitudes. Do you remember when we had a flood of euro immigrants? A lot of people were very protective of their jobs and some uk owned companies probably wanted to ensure that the the jobs stayed with people born in their country.

It sounds very small minded but the reality is, it does happen.

I lived in Australia for 1 year in 04 and 05 so I do have experience of what its like. I did find work through friends and persistence. Adelaide... well a million people in a such a small state its understandable as to why its not the most popular choice such as NSW or VIC for work.

Its all part of the lifes gamble. Nobody knows what around the corner. But how will you know if you don't take a look?

I still hope people make that 'calculated risk' and not be put off by this.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

ive met loads of people here in adelaide who was skilled in the uk in jobs,,ie carpenters/plumbers/sparks/teachers/office work.ect.and doing lesser work just to get by..queit scary.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Similar story to ours except we didnt move interstate

hubby didnt get anything for 9mths, thats how tough we had it!

bluekipper
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Similar story to ours except we didnt move interstate

hubby didnt get anything for 9mths, thats how tough we had it!

bluekipper
We had no choice but to move interstate. My hub eventually got a very good offer from a large multinational company but it was in Perth. We did try a commuter marriage for a couple of months, but that's not what we came here for.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:14 am
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice

Hi Nicky and Alan.Sorry to see you are down Its Andy and beck here who you visited in woodcroft. Hows the puppy?! As you know I'm on the trains but the number for my contracting agency is 8332 7210. They are called REXCO. The people I work with say they are good payers I get about $150- 200 more per week working as a contractor but no leave or sick pay.
Things haven't been all rosy for us either, we've moved to a rental in Bridgewater but still struggling missing family and friends and skint too. We feel like going home quite a bit but are going to keep trying and see how we feel in a year or so. Anyway sorry to hear your down you have our mobile no please feel free to pop up for a cuppa or stronger.
All the best Andy
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I have friends and family in Adelaide, and all of them say that it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Luckily, I will know them when I arrive, and they know plenty of people, so I'm hoping this will be an advantage getting work when I arrive.

I'm not expecting to walk straight into my ideal job. I'm more than happy to start with something like bar work, or similar to begin with to just get some money in, whilst searching for a more permanant job.

I think it won't be as tough for me though, as I am on my own, I don't have a family to worry about, so I only have to feed myself, and if it comes to not succeding and returning home, I only have me to worry about.

The only thing I am worried about, is the "Aussie experience" thing, as I too won't have any, and this may still be a major problem, even though I know people there.

It does concern me somewhat.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

i was in adelaide on a working visa in 2004 and didn't have too many problems finding finance/admin office work - i went through various agencies - robert walters were the best for me. i did find agencies here are very slow responding after you submit the cv. at the time the working visa restrictions prevented me taking various jobs which slowed things down a bit.

i actually found it harder to get work in sydney that year - more jobs but alot more people going for them!

i landed back in adelaide this week with my aussie OH - this time on a perm visa - so am about to start the job search again - so we will see how it goes this time!! I am hoping that the 6 months work I did in Oz in 2004 will help with the aussie experience issue - although that was never mentioned as a problem to me in 2004.

a few people on here seem to mention lack of aussie experience as a problem, and i also noticed a post saying that it would be the same for overseas people working in the UK. My aussie OH has worked in the UK for most of the last 5 years in various positions and has never had any problem finding work or people asking for UK experience

our experience has been that the working cultures of the two countries is very similar

BUT - i may be back on to post that this has changed - depending on the success or failure of my job searches over the next few weeks!!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:13 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

We were chatting to friends, apparently gas fitters are not in demand - warning to any gas fitters - plumbers here are expected to have gas fitting quals/certs, as uk plumbers usually hold the corgi cert etc.

Job wise in any sector usually requires alot of hard work, leg work/chasing agents/calling back interviewers.
In the UK you have the relevant quals/experience - here you dont, whether they recognise your skills or not - the employers here dont know you from adam and a fair few have had the fingers burnt with immigrant employees, and they all seem to talk to each other....not what you know but who you know phrase again...

One friend of ours is highly qualified in her field - she went to hungry jacks days after arriving, got a job, secured a fantastic aussie reference and is now in a more suitable job for her!

I sympathise with anyone struggling for work - KOH was laid off just before his 3mths probation was up, 3 weeks out of work and has just found another job - after several interviews/dozens of cv applications etc.
Ive just started testing the water, 2 weeks of applying for all sorts and ive finally got 3 interviews lined up.

And another point - the majority of the work in Adelaide is in the city and in the north. So if you want the beach lifestyle be prepared to commute an hour each way!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:09 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by katsmajic
We were chatting to friends, apparently gas fitters are not in demand - warning to any gas fitters - plumbers here are expected to have gas fitting quals/certs, as uk plumbers usually hold the corgi cert etc.

Job wise in any sector usually requires alot of hard work, leg work/chasing agents/calling back interviewers.
In the UK you have the relevant quals/experience - here you dont, whether they recognise your skills or not - the employers here dont know you from adam and a fair few have had the fingers burnt with immigrant employees, and they all seem to talk to each other....not what you know but who you know phrase again...

One friend of ours is highly qualified in her field - she went to hungry jacks days after arriving, got a job, secured a fantastic aussie reference and is now in a more suitable job for her!

I sympathise with anyone struggling for work - KOH was laid off just before his 3mths probation was up, 3 weeks out of work and has just found another job - after several interviews/dozens of cv applications etc.
Ive just started testing the water, 2 weeks of applying for all sorts and ive finally got 3 interviews lined up.

And another point - the majority of the work in Adelaide is in the city and in the north. So if you want the beach lifestyle be prepared to commute an hour each way!

Yep totally agree, chris must have applied for around 50 job before and in the first 2 weeks of arrival. Agencies never got back to him etc. He has 20yrs experience in his feild in sales and was getting cheesed off. Anyway he got his cv aussiefied and i put together a portfolio for him (hes never had an interview for 20yrs!). Managed to find a job in same industry but more a sidestep and his wage has taken a nose-dive by about 20k (dollars). Plus he doesnt have the perks. He works longer hourse, and as we want to live near beach commutes 50 mins each way to work. Again it was who you know as the coompany he works for deals with competitors he had in uk and they even rang them to ask if they knew him!!! Hopefully now hes in he can climb the ladder but its a job and hes been fortunate to get one. As for me i guess im lucky to be in one of the only professions they dont care where your from they are so desperate for us lol (nurse)
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ozziefever and co,

We have also been here for the same amount of time as you guys. I remember we arrived on the same day! Glad to hear your hubby has found work. We are finding it quite hard. My OH is finding it very hard to find a job as a lawyer. Everyone we meet says "oh you'll have no problem finding work as a criminal lawyer!" but they are wrong damn it! Its quite disheartening for him and I want to try and keep his spirits up. He has 10 years of experience and each job he has applied for is extremely suitable for him but he keeps being turned down, each time being told the position has been filled, even after 5 days of the job being advertised. I am begining to feel paranoid that Aussie employers do not really feel enthusiastic about employing British people. Maybe this is just in Law. He never had this problem in the UK.

I am lucky as I have also found work in Admin but feel bad for him. He is thinking about starting/buying a business if he fails to find work in order to get the citizenship after 2 years. Does anyone know just how risky this is? I want to be enthusiastic but not sure if just how risky this will be. I am also worried about the money pot!

Good luck to everyone else making it work in Adelaide.

Mitra
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:18 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Hi ozziefever and co,

We have also been here for the same amount of time as you guys. I remember we arrived on the same day! Glad to hear your hubby has found work. We are finding it quite hard. My OH is finding it very hard to find a job as a lawyer. Everyone we meet says "oh you'll have no problem finding work as a criminal lawyer!" but they are wrong damn it! Its quite disheartening for him and I want to try and keep his spirits up. He has 10 years of experience and each job he has applied for is extremely suitable for him but he keeps being turned down, each time being told the position has been filled, even after 5 days of the job being advertised. I am begining to feel paranoid that Aussie employers do not really feel enthusiastic about employing British people. Maybe this is just in Law. He never had this problem in the UK.

I am lucky as I have also found work in Admin but feel bad for him. He is thinking about starting/buying a business if he fails to find work in order to get the citizenship after 2 years. Does anyone know just how risky this is? I want to be enthusiastic but not sure if just how risky this will be. I am also worried about the money pot!

Good luck to everyone else making it work in Adelaide.

Mitra
sorry hun but citizenship is now 4 yrs, they changed it last year . Hope he gets sorted soon, networking does seem to help here though x
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:28 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

I have family that live in Adelaide, and we are to join them in a couple of years. I just wanted to bring up a point that members of my family (ozzies, born and breed) have had to take up work in the SA mines to earn more money. Now away from home 2 weeks, home for one week.

I don't think it's just those who have emigrated who are having to make sacrifices to try and get by.

Good luck everyone with the job seeking!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry OzzieClaire2b, I meant residency! As in we have to stay in SA for 2 to 3 years before we get residency in order to move to another area of Australia if we wish.

Ahoy there Seacaptin, (liking the name!) sounds like Adelaide is a place where people have to struggle to get employment. Im sure its because its not a very big city. Does it not put you off a bit about coming here when you hear how difficult it is for your family members?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows about starting/buying their own business here.

Thanks for the comments guys and good luck to everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.