Adelaide

Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of
Default Adelaide

Hi all I will proberly get slated for this but I feel that I need to let the guys know in the Uk about our first 6 weeks in Adelaide.

We thought that we had researched Adelaide quite well before we arrived, but nothing can prepare you for when you arrive. Adelaide is a very nice city, most people very friendly, but there is no work, me and hubby are hard workers and have applied for any job going, but we are either not qualified or not got the licences to work (hubby even applied for a pruning job only to be told that he needed a licence to prune)

Hubby got here on his trade but there are no jobs in Adelaide for this trade (he is a gas engineer)

People have told me that you get jobs by who you know but that is hard when you are new.

Sorry for the moaning but we are getting really worried. The money pot will not last for ever.

I am posting this thread because I really wanted to tell people that it is very hard going here and just wanted to people to be forwarned before they arrive.

For people that are doing ok in Adelaide, I am really pleased for you is just not that great for us at the moment.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adelaide

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well but you have only been there for 6 weeks and I am sure that things will get better for you both.

What is your work experience in? What made you choose Adelaide in the first place?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Hi all I will proberly get slated for this but I feel that I need to let the guys know in the Uk about our first 6 weeks in Adelaide.

We thought that we had researched Adelaide quite well before we arrived, but nothing can prepare you for when you arrive. Adelaide is a very nice city, most people very friendly, but there is no work, me and hubby are hard workers and have applied for any job going, but we are either not qualified or not got the licences to work (hubby even applied for a pruning job only to be told that he needed a licence to prune)

Hubby got here on his trade but there are no jobs in Adelaide for this trade (he is a gas engineer)

People have told me that you get jobs by who you know but that is hard when you are new.

Sorry for the moaning but we are getting really worried. The money pot will not last for ever.

I am posting this thread because I really wanted to tell people that it is very hard going here and just wanted to people to be forwarned before they arrive.

For people that are doing ok in Adelaide, I am really pleased for you is just not that great for us at the moment.
I feel for you.
We are hoping to arrive in Adelaide when we get the visa but I'm getting put off because I've heard this about jobs and who you know rather than what you know before.
Like you we dont have a bottomless pit of money to tide us over.
It must be very disheartning when you are applying for any job.
Good luck and all the best.
Jill
xxx
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:22 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

were you at the Brighton meet in June? - i have a TERRIBLE memory and i am trying to remember if i have met you

sorry i cant help with the job thing (i dont know anything about gas engineers) but just wanted to add my general support ...

... and you definitely dont need to apologise for your post. if things are not going great then go right ahead and say so ... noone is going to 'slate' you because you are finding things hard.

I assume you will have looked at options for training and getting licences? Maybe even doing something at college that in the uk you could do standing on your head will give you that bit of ozzy paper that employers will stop and look at ... plus you might make some contacts at the same time.
Other than than i guess you have to keep looking for what is out there ... i am sure the right jobs will come along if you keep at it.

I know this post isnt a great deal of help but if i can do anything just drop me a pm and let me know.
Adele x
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hi there. I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that you are finding it so difficult to get work. You are right in lots of ways in that here it is often who you know and not necessarily what you know. You didn't say what it was that you did? I used an agency called Careerlink when I first got here and they had me in work within 3 days and I'm not really qualified to do anything in particular as always worked for local government. I'm still trying to get into Local Government here and finding that very difficult and more than a little disheartening so know how you feel a wee bit, but I can only imagine how worried you must be with your finances dwindling though so I really and truly hope things take a turn for the better and that everything starts to come together for you both. Feel free to PM me if you ever just want to chat. All the best. Nikki
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

Thanks guys for your replies, we have looked into the licencing for hubby, he had an interview today and was told that his gas qualifications were ok but he needed to have an electrical certificate as well this was in case he needed to change parts - we were told to go along to Tafe and they would be able to put him on a course - not that easy you need to get approval from the licencing authority before you can start the course and because he is a gas enginner the licencing authority will not let him do the course as they say he does not need it as he is a gas enginner, it really feels like we are always getting the wrong advice.

My job is in admin so I am getting the interviews and have just found out that I have got work (12 hours per week) so better than nothing, its just that hubby is so down, he is on about going back to the UK, we have a daughter here who is settled in Tafe and does not want to move again, I just really don't know what the hell do to.

And yes 6 weeks is not long and it does take time, but it is bloody hard, the grass is not always greener on the other side
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Adelaide is a hard nut to crack, I know we went & came bk the UK mainly because of the work issues,its beautiful there and you do get into the swing of it all, but work is a night mare there!

It really is who you know & not what you know in Adelaide,,id say get out & about meet ppl who can put a good word in for you!

Good luck

Bluekipper
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Thanks guys for your replies, we have looked into the licencing for hubby, he had an interview today and was told that his gas qualifications were ok but he needed to have an electrical certificate as well this was in case he needed to change parts - we were told to go along to Tafe and they would be able to put him on a course - not that easy you need to get approval from the licencing authority before you can start the course and because he is a gas enginner the licencing authority will not let him do the course as they say he does not need it as he is a gas enginner, it really feels like we are always getting the wrong advice.

My job is in admin so I am getting the interviews and have just found out that I have got work (12 hours per week) so better than nothing, its just that hubby is so down, he is on about going back to the UK, we have a daughter here who is settled in Tafe and does not want to move again, I just really don't know what the hell do to.

And yes 6 weeks is not long and it does take time, but it is bloody hard, the grass is not always greener on the other side
Hi sorry for frustration. We have been here in adelaide since last september and ive found getting work is more who you know not what you know!! im a carpenter and ive found work hard to come across without a licence.ive just done the tafe cource/police checks for the licence hopefully thing will be better for us.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud of

Hi Nicky,& Alan I'm sorry to hear it is a struggle at the moment for you guys..don't know if you remember us we were at the meet-up in Weymouth and you send me the info about the house...Hope things approve soon .... we are still here in the UK and still trying to sell the house...

take care

Debby & Nigel
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:43 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

pm'd u hun, its true not what u know but who. dont rely on agencies get cold calling for jobs they might be looking for admin at chris' work but its in hindmarsh also some casual order picking/packing going.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

We arrived last September and know exactly what you're going through. We knew a little about the local job market before we got here and budgeted accordingly, however, we probably came within a month of cutting our losses and moving on. Despite the odd bashing the place gets on BE, we really like it here and intend to stay as long as the work's available. I'm currently contracting and the plus side of the "it's not what you know..." argument is that once your in (and do a good job) then they really don't want to let you go. Best of luck and stick with it.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:00 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

It's been said on here before about, Adelaide being very "who you know". It may be useful to attend your local Church on a Sunday. I say this, regardless of your religious beliefs. It's not about worshipping God, it's about social networking, it you join a congregation, you join a community and hey, you get to know people, perhaps more quickly than you would by other means.
It's not necessary to have faith, but who's against a bit of singing, and networking with people, who could, potentially, see you into gainful employment?
Cynical? probably, but it's been detective nonetheless. I know that this was worked for incomers to the USA.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Has he tried this mob.?.........

http://www.skilled.com.au/
They tend to lead to better things, once you are in.............mm
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all your replies, well what a difference a weeks makes, hubby has started work, he fits pergolas and verandas and loves it, works for a really nice guy, he has given up on being a "gas enginner" in Adelaide.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
I used an agency called Careerlink when I first got here and they had me in work within 3 days and I'm not really qualified to do anything in particular as always worked for local government. I'm still trying to get into Local Government here
I worked for Careerlink in their training division. Give them a ring because I know they used to have a lot of state gov't contracts. They do lots of training if you need to upgrade your skills, too.

Another place to get some training (not to mention meeting people who can introduce you to other people) is BusinessSA. They are a wealth of information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.