Adelaide to ???

Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Adelaide to ???

Hi

has anyone moved interstate from Adelaide to another city and how do you compare your new choice?

Thank you
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: Adelaide to ???

No Replies

Does this mean no-one's ever escaped? :scared:

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

has anyone moved interstate from Adelaide to another city and how do you compare your new choice?

Thank you

Last edited by gdcollectables; Mar 13th 2005 at 11:07 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:05 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

No Replies

TO be honest their is now here better,............. mm
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:16 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear things arent working out in Adelaide....

Sure someone will answer your post soon!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

No Replies

We spent last Winter (May - September) in Adelaide. We were really on reconnaissance as we spent all last year travelling, trying to suss out where we would eventually settle. We found Adelaide "nice", but have found Brisbane great! We planned to endure the Summer in Brisbane, however it was a breeze compared to Adelaide's Winter. That felt like Glasgow...and you don't travel half way around the world for more of the same.

Now in Sunny Queensland and really feel like we are living in Oz. We did pick up work in Adelaide a lot quicker, but I think we are being a bit choosier now we plan to stay in Queensland.

We've found the Aussies to be friendly and welcoming in both cities. Adelaide pretends it a bit more cultured than other places, but I think they are delusional.

If you think it not for you, take a few holidays to other state capitals. We honestly haven't found anywhere other than around capital cities where we would be able to live and work.

Good luck whatever you plan.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply Linda, we intend to have a look at Perth and Brisbane within the next few months (have already been to Melbourne).

Just wondered whether anybody else had comparisons!

MM had to read your reply several times - been hitting the hard stuff again? We never did have that drink!!!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:43 pm
A lot 2 Learn!

Jamie Lyon Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
We spent last Winter (May - September) in Adelaide. We were really on reconnaissance as we spent all last year travelling, trying to suss out where we would eventually settle. We found Adelaide "nice", but have found Brisbane great! We planned to endure the Summer in Brisbane, however it was a breeze compared to Adelaide's Winter. That felt like Glasgow...and you don't travel half way around the world for more of the same.

Now in Sunny Queensland and really feel like we are living in Oz. We did pick up work in Adelaide a lot quicker, but I think we are being a bit choosier now we plan to stay in Queensland.

We've found the Aussies to be friendly and welcoming in both cities. Adelaide pretends it a bit more cultured than other places, but I think they are delusional.

If you think it not for you, take a few holidays to other state capitals. We honestly haven't found anywhere other than around capital cities where we would be able to live and work.

Good luck whatever you plan.

Hi there,

First ever post on here. My partner and I are looking to move to Oz as soon as possible and have been told that the only visa we could get would mean that we would probably have to live in Adelaide. Is the weather really poor in the Winter as I hadn't heard that before, I thought it was pretty good all year?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Well - today we've had thunder and it's pouring with rain!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:14 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Jamie Lyon Fan
Hi there,

First ever post on here. My partner and I are looking to move to Oz as soon as possible and have been told that the only visa we could get would mean that we would probably have to live in Adelaide. Is the weather really poor in the Winter as I hadn't heard that before, I thought it was pretty good all year?
Adelaide has a relatively mild winter , mostly between 12c-18c often the sun is out, does'nt rain as much as Vic or NSW. When l lived in Adelaide there were few days in winter where it was too cold or wet to go out, compared to where l live in Victoria now.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:57 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

COLDEST DAY LAST JULY 4DEG C 5AM IN THE MORNINING, ,,,,,,,,,,,,MM
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:15 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you
What is it about Adelaide that you dont care much for??? maybe then could give you some advice about other cities.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Siren

there are some beautiful places in and around Adelaide - lovely architecture in the CBD, surrounded by beautiful parklands and gardens, beaches, hills the weather has been quite changeable since we arrived in October - but that's ok too (didn't come here for the weather).

The problem we are having is the day to day living here. We would like to live in the City, but can't afford it and are based in a 'good' suburb 4kms from the CBD.

Everywhere seems quite run down, the main roads are really busy with all sorts of battered old and new cars, at night we can hear what sounds like drag racing on a main road in the distance (the done thing is to stop at traffic lights and on green to race to the 60kms speed limit as fast and noisy as possible). The cars have larger engine capacities and sound like their exhausts have blown.

The houses built since the 70's are of poor standard and are still not being built for the long term - we know there's a problem with earth movement here, but there are buildings over a hundred years old still standing and quite a number of early C20th houses which are sought after by some.

There are shops and takeaways every which way you turn, we've honestly never seen so many before. It wouldn't be so bad, we suppose, if they were not all of the same variety; ie Coles, Woolworths, Bi-Lo, Foodland Supermarkets - Mc Donalds, Subway, Hungry Jacks, Countless Chicken Shops Takeaways, etc, etc.

The suburbs are just different named areas, they all blend with one another into a sprawling mass, you can spot differences, though - some areas have older more cared for properties with trees lining the roads and well kept gardens other areas are the complete opposite.

We have been to loads of open house inspections, but we just can't seem to commit to buying a home here, we are living in a rental the standard of which we would never have considered in the UK - but we acquired a cat shortly after moving here and have found it extremely difficult to rent (unless we were able to pay over $400 a week - the more expensive rentals seem to allow pets!?

We know it is down to us as individuals to decide on where would be best for us in the long term, at the moment we don't feel that we want to give up the things that we have loved in the past and resign ourselves to staying here for the rest of our lives!! Maybe we'll feel different as time goes by - Never say Never.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Adelaide's winter really isn't that bad ! It seldom gets below 10 degrees Celsius at night - so comparing it to Glasgow is a bit ridiculous IMHO.

The best thing about the climate is the lack of humidity, no matter how hot it gets it's never unbearable. I travel to Sydney and Brisbane frequently on business and am always struck by how "sticky" they are in Summer esp. Brisbane.

Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:34 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We were originally going STNI but hopefully are now going 136, but we've decided to go to Adelaide first and see how it goes.

Must admit I would like to go to Brisbane, we've decided that we'll take a few "holidays" to see what it's like up there and make our minds up then.

A good idea might be to write down a list of the reasons you dont like Adelaide so that when you visit Perth & Brisbane you can make sure it's different!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Hi Siren

there are some beautiful places in and around Adelaide - lovely architecture in the CBD, surrounded by beautiful parklands and gardens, beaches, hills the weather has been quite changeable since we arrived in October - but that's ok too (didn't come here for the weather).

The problem we are having is the day to day living here. We would like to live in the City, but can't afford it and are based in a 'good' suburb 4kms from the CBD.

Everywhere seems quite run down, the main roads are really busy with all sorts of battered old and new cars, at night we can hear what sounds like drag racing on a main road in the distance (the done thing is to stop at traffic lights and on green to race to the 60kms speed limit as fast and noisy as possible). The cars have larger engine capacities and sound like their exhausts have blown.

The houses built since the 70's are of poor standard and are still not being built for the long term - we know there's a problem with earth movement here, but there are buildings over a hundred years old still standing and quite a number of early C20th houses which are sought after by some.

There are shops and takeaways every which way you turn, we've honestly never seen so many before. It wouldn't be so bad, we suppose, if they were not all of the same variety; ie Coles, Woolworths, Bi-Lo, Foodland Supermarkets - Mc Donalds, Subway, Hungry Jacks, Countless Chicken Shops Takeaways, etc, etc.

The suburbs are just different named areas, they all blend with one another into a sprawling mass, you can spot differences, though - some areas have older more cared for properties with trees lining the roads and well kept gardens other areas are the complete opposite.

We have been to loads of open house inspections, but we just can't seem to commit to buying a home here, we are living in a rental the standard of which we would never have considered in the UK - but we acquired a cat shortly after moving here and have found it extremely difficult to rent (unless we were able to pay over $400 a week - the more expensive rentals seem to allow pets!?

We know it is down to us as individuals to decide on where would be best for us in the long term, at the moment we don't feel that we want to give up the things that we have loved in the past and resign ourselves to staying here for the rest of our lives!! Maybe we'll feel different as time goes by - Never say Never.

As I said in the previous post I travel around Australia a lot for work and the
things you have described are pretty much the same wherever you go. Adelaide is however far more affordable than most of the other capital cities in terms of housing. So if you are unhappy about the amount of rent you are paying in Adelaide good luck anywhere else. Renting with pets is always a problem which is why we delayed getting pets until we bought a house.

I disagree about the suburbs - the Eastern suburbs of Adelaide are some of the best that I have seen in Australia. Our house (in St Georges) which is on 1000m2 and 5km from the City would have cost us 3 - 4 times as much in an equivalent location in Sydney or Melbourne. I have a friend who lives on the North Shore in Sydney who paid $1,9m for her house and her suburb is far less manicured and leafy than mine is.

There are many quaint, interesting and unusal shops - you just have to know where to shop and if you think Adelaide has too many shops bring on any other city !

The things that I personally dislike about Adelaide relate more to the "small town" mindset and the cliquey nature of the people than the environment itself. If it was purely based on looks Adelaide would win hands down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.