Adelaide

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough
Default Adelaide

My family and I are hoping moving to Adelaide.

Can anybody advice of school standards, private education and general standards.

I have searched through the archive but would like some up to date comments please.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:24 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice
Default Re: Adelaide

Originally posted by cammym

Can anybody advice of school standards, private education and general standards.

I have searched through the archive but would like some up to date comments please.
Your best looking on the Adelaidebrits forum,

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

jib
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide

Originally posted by cammym

Adelaide is looking for more migrants with skills needed to keep South Australia's economy hopping along.
South Australia, over the past decade, has only received 3% of Australia's total migrant intake, even though we are 10% of Australia's population, so the South Australian gov't is requesting the Australian national gov't to short list people wanting to come here and make it easier to settle here.
Sydney has got 45% and Melbourne 30% of total migrant intake over the past 10 years and the New South Wales State premier, Mr. Bob Carr, is on record saying that Sydney doesn't need or want more immigrants and has asked the Australian gov't not to send people there. Infrastructure is struggling to cope and house prices have gone thro' the roof there, so that new home buyers can't buy in Sydney.
The new Australian Immigration Minister, Senator Amanda Vanstone, is a South Australian senator to the national parliament in Canberra, and is well aware of her home State's needs. Also, the South Australian premier, Mr. Mike Rann, is the son of British migrants coming out just after the War, and is sympathetic to getting more migrants from the old country here in this State.
This is the best arrangement in years to favour settling in South Australia, but an election could easily change all that.
Hope this encourages you to make the move to this sunny place.
Educationally, you need to be a bit more specific in what you want answered. How long is a bit of string??
Bob and ginnie
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:41 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to suggest the Adelaide Brits website, its a mine of information and everyone on there is really friendly too! When are you hoping to go out there? We have applied for the SIR visa, and would love to be out there in Jan 05, although I think my parents will have something to say about that, as they do not want their grandchildren to go!

Lucy
x
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by lucyb
I was going to suggest the Adelaide Brits website, its a mine of information and everyone on there is really friendly too! When are you hoping to go out there? We have applied for the SIR visa, and would love to be out there in Jan 05, although I think my parents will have something to say about that, as they do not want their grandchildren to go!

Lucy
x
Lucy

No real timescale for moving yet as we have only just applied for SIR.

I agree that leaving grandparents will be difficult - My father passed away in April and my little girls 3 & 5 were in the garden with a balloon yesterday and asked that it be let go so that grandad could get it in heaven !- but we will make sure we arrange a long visit to Australia for my wife's parents and my mum and a return visit for us to help smooth the way.

I will try the Adelaide brits web site - thanks
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Goochc0 is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are members of Adelaide Brits and there are really helpful people on there - some who live in Adelaide already and some who are in the process of wanting to move over there.

There a load of info on Schools, Suburbs, timelines and general info about Adelaide too.

Good luck