Wikiposts

Adelaide?

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:11 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide?

Originally posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Clevs

You are so right I live in the Adelaide Hills,and have to say it truly is one of the most beautiful parts of S.A.
wishing you all the best in your new adopted homeland
irish guinness

Hi Irish Guiness

Where abouts r u? and how long have u been here?

Clevs
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by clevs
Hi Irish Guiness

Where abouts r u? and how long have u been here?

Clevs
Hi Clevs
I have been in Australia for 40 years, came here with my parents as a teenager, many moons ago!!!!
I am living in a village called Stirling, reminds me quite alot of home.
where abouts r u ?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:27 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

Hi Clevs
I have been in Australia for 40 years, came here with my parents as a teenager, many moons ago!!!!
I am living in a village called Stirling, reminds me quite alot of home.
where abouts r u ?

Hi Irish Guinness

We are in Aberfoyle Park at the moment. My daughter said to me in the car the other day "mum, it is very much like home but just hotter" I chuckled to myself and thought that is why we are here.

Clevs
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by clevs
Hi Irish Guinness

We are in Aberfoyle Park at the moment. My daughter said to me in the car the other day "mum, it is very much like home but just hotter" I chuckled to myself and thought that is why we are here.

Clevs
Aberfoyle Park, is a lovely area,are you renting there or staying with family?
Perhaps one day if you like we could meet for a coffee,just let me know.I am now off to the movies to see Harry Potter!!!and then off to dinner.
do keep in touch, if you need any info I will do my best to help.
bye for now
I.G.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:38 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

Aberfoyle Park, is a lovely area,are you renting there or staying with family?
Perhaps one day if you like we could meet for a coffee,just let me know.I am now off to the movies to see Harry Potter!!!and then off to dinner.
do keep in touch, if you need any info I will do my best to help.
bye for now
I.G.

Thanks IG we are staying with friends but move on Wednesday and renting for 6 months. I'll take you up on the coffee when we have settled.

Enjoy Harry Potter... can't wait to see it myself and daughter.....

Clevs
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Gill

so glad you enjoyed it. Shame you werent here longer. I would have given you a tour.

If you are coming again let me know!

Certainly will PP, I'm planning on visiting Melbourne when my friend comes over from the UK to visit us, sometime in Novemeber, may be awhile before I'm back in Adelaide.

Thanks Gill
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just back from a 2 week validation\fact finding trip in Adelaide. We are arriving on the 28th August for a minimum of 2 years.

We had a fab time, we stayed in the Adelaide Windsor Regency Apartments which were central and pretty nice. We had a good scout round at the houses and areas etc.

We had a good look round Northgate and Mawsons Lakes, both really nice but we want to be in the South. We had a good look round Craigburn Farm and Blackwood Park, which are really lovely. There was a bit of a scarity of rentals in those estates, had a look at one, but it was a bit small for the money ($365) so looked a bit further afield to Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff hill, which are really nice, especially where the modern houses are, so have settled upon this area. We timed how long it would take to get to Belair (about 15 mins) where the kids are going to school (St Johns Grammar Junior) and had a good visit there, our only concern was that my eldest will probably have to join in year 2 and redo year 3 (which she will be completing in the UK in July) however they did reassure us that they will monitor her progress and ensure that she will be able to reintegrate with the UK should we decide to come back. They had experts in this area and seemed to know what they were doing, so we were reassured and agreed that she should get to know kids of her own age ASAP.

Adelaide itself is very easy to get around, just watch your speed, I was cautioned for doing 75 in a 50 zone, thank god for the QLD plates on the rental car! The map scale is deceptive, its a lot more compact in the centre, we constantly overshot junctions. Further out its a bit more spread out.

The whole area is a sort of mixture of the ultra modern (e.g. Marion Shopping Centre, Rundle Malls) and the 1950s smalltown (e.g. Blackwood). The people seemed to be really friendly and welcoming and greet you with a smile and a chat, I've just contrasted that with my local Tescos when I got fuel this morning!

Visited my workplace, and they were very friendly, I should be happy enough there, especially as there was a fridge full of beer and a barbie on the balcony, the rule was no beer before midday!) The office is on the Fullarton Road in Dulwich and overlooks the park.

Managed to buy two cars without any problems, just considering financing one for about $10000 to help get a credit rating started.

Other than that we did the touristy things, the wildlife parks, zoos, the big rocking horse, Victor Harbour etc.

Can't wait to come back in August!

Paul
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:13 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

Originally posted by PaulDClark
Hi all,

Just back from a 2 week validation\fact finding trip in Adelaide. We are arriving on the 28th August for a minimum of 2 years.

We had a fab time, we stayed in the Adelaide Windsor Regency Apartments which were central and pretty nice. We had a good scout round at the houses and areas etc.

We had a good look round Northgate and Mawsons Lakes, both really nice but we want to be in the South. We had a good look round Craigburn Farm and Blackwood Park, which are really lovely. There was a bit of a scarity of rentals in those estates, had a look at one, but it was a bit small for the money ($365) so looked a bit further afield to Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff hill, which are really nice, especially where the modern houses are, so have settled upon this area. We timed how long it would take to get to Belair (about 15 mins) where the kids are going to school (St Johns Grammar Junior) and had a good visit there, our only concern was that my eldest will probably have to join in year 2 and redo year 3 (which she will be completing in the UK in July) however they did reassure us that they will monitor her progress and ensure that she will be able to reintegrate with the UK should we decide to come back. They had experts in this area and seemed to know what they were doing, so we were reassured and agreed that she should get to know kids of her own age ASAP.

Adelaide itself is very easy to get around, just watch your speed, I was cautioned for doing 75 in a 50 zone, thank god for the QLD plates on the rental car! The map scale is deceptive, its a lot more compact in the centre, we constantly overshot junctions. Further out its a bit more spread out.

The whole area is a sort of mixture of the ultra modern (e.g. Marion Shopping Centre, Rundle Malls) and the 1950s smalltown (e.g. Blackwood). The people seemed to be really friendly and welcoming and greet you with a smile and a chat, I've just contrasted that with my local Tescos when I got fuel this morning!

Visited my workplace, and they were very friendly, I should be happy enough there, especially as there was a fridge full of beer and a barbie on the balcony, the rule was no beer before midday!) The office is on the Fullarton Road in Dulwich and overlooks the park.

Managed to buy two cars without any problems, just considering financing one for about $10000 to help get a credit rating started.

Other than that we did the touristy things, the wildlife parks, zoos, the big rocking horse, Victor Harbour etc.

Can't wait to come back in August!

Paul

Hi Paul

Glad you enjoyed Adelaide, we have settled in Aberfoyle Park and only been here 6 weeks now. Renting until we can find the right place to buy. If you are after a complex they are building down on Aldinga Beach, we went to have a look and they a very nice. The website is www.divine.com.au

THe only thing that we have found is we have been knoocked back with the finance thing as they are saying we can't as we have only been here a short time, give it 3 -12 months and it should be all okay.

But then did put the new fridge on interest free this weekend, so there goes.

Have fun and good luck

clevs
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

That link is for a hairdressers.. here is the correct one

www.devine.com.au
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

I saw Devine advertising on the TV and looked at the website whilst we were there, they seemed to be offering no deposit homes, but they aren't in the right area unfortunatley. We're not really in the market to buy at present as we are not selling up in the UK.

The car dealer actually offered me the finance and didn't seem to think it would be a problem, rate is high 10.75%, but it seems a good option to just get the credit and then pay it off after a few months assuming that there are no major penalties.

All the best

Paul
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

One of the first things you should do when setting foot in Aus is buy something on credit whether you need to or not as this kick starts a credit history. We were advised to do this by a Dutch friend who had lived htere and she was correct as it has made life a lot simpler since.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by podgypossum
One of the first things you should do when setting foot in Aus is buy something on credit whether you need to or not as this kick starts a credit history. We were advised to do this by a Dutch friend who had lived htere and she was correct as it has made life a lot simpler since.
I got the idea from you originally!