Adelaide?

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

summers family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide?

we have tried to find details of families who have emigrated to Adelaide. Also the job prospects in the construction industry, house prices, and schools etc in that area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Carol.
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:30 am
Russell Driver

Default Re: Adelaide?

summers family <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > we have tried to find details of families who have emigrated to Adelaide. Also the
    > job prospects in the construction industry, house prices, and schools etc in that
    > area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Carol.
    >
    >
    >

Hi Carol

My family and I moved here to Adelaide 2 years ago from Yorkshire. We love it here
apart from a little bit of homesickness now and again.

Adelaide is a wonderful city to live in if you can find work,it is a relatively small
place (well 1 million people) and some opportunities are limited.

When you arrive perhaps rent for 6 months so you have time to get to know the areas
better.There is still some very cheap housing here but I would not like to live in
those areas

We live 30 mins south of the city in a semi rural area.

A decent house can be purchased for well under $200,000 nearby a good school. My
daughter attends a private school,private education is popular and much more
affordable here.

Have a look at www.sacentral.sa.gov.au there are loads of good links to explore.

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by summers family
we have tried to find details of families who have emigrated to Adelaide. Also the job prospects in the construction industry, house prices, and schools etc in that area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Carol.
]
I'm in a bit of a rush, so I can't go into details at the moment, however I rarely miss an opportunity to say how much I love Adelaide!

I'm 23, and I've been here 18 months. I spent a bit of time in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne but I prefer it here.

I guess you've probably already had a scoot around http://www.yahoo.com.au

I think Adelaide will be a great place to bring up my family...in a few years time :-)

Nara
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it true that Adelaide has some of the hottest summers in Australia, hotter than in Sydney?
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 3:00 pm
Rob

mxqth wrote:

>
    >Is it true that Adelaide has some of the hottest summers in Australia, hotter than
    >in Sydney?

Have a look here:

http://www.BoM.GOV.AU/climate/forms/map_forms/imagemap.shtml

According to that, Adelaide is on average, drier and cooler than Sydney.

Sydney has 10+ rainy days a month all year round, Adelaide has 10+ rainy days per
month for half the year.

The extreme heat graph looks similar for both. They can both exceed 40C in the
summer months.

I haven't applied yet, but am aiming to move to the Adelaide area. The Fleurieu
Peninsula, to the south of Adelaide looks nice in the guide books and websites.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mxqth
Is it true that Adelaide has some of the hottest summers in Australia, hotter than in Sydney?

One thing I love about Adelaide's climate is that it rarely gets humid. A humid day of 25c is so much more oppressive than a dry 35c.

The days when it gets to 42c can be a pretty stifling, I'd hate to be working outside, but if you're in an office with decent airconditioning it's OK.

Rob- the Fleurieu is beautiful in real life.

Nara
Old Apr 24th 2002, 1:30 am
Russell Driver

mxqth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Is it true that Adelaide has some of the hottest summers in Australia, hotter than
    > in Sydney?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > jamie sim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

It can get very hot here. The summer before last we had two weeks in the high 30c's

I love the weather here because you get the full four seasons( no snow).It is
wonderful to see the changes. it can get quite cool in winter with a lot of rain. My
family came over in August last year and even though I had warned them it was winter
they brought summer clothes. The second day of their visit we spent buying jackets
and fleeces!

Russell

--

Russell Driver

R&L Coupland <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Thank god some people ask the questions you need answering, we are also looking
    > to emigrate to South Australia, just started the ball rolling. What are the other
    > main cities in SA like, visited Mt Gambier and that seemed very nice (beautiful
    > lake!!), what about Whyalla, Port Lincoln or Murry bridge. Re lifestyle, jobs,
    > education etc
    >
    > Many thanks Rich and leanne

Mmm ,for work opportunities you may be better off staying nearer to Adelaide. Whyalla
and Port Lincoln do have industry but they are a bit out of the way.

Russell

--

Russell Driver

rob <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1019570292.19629.1.nnrp-07.c2de...ws.demon.co.uk...
    > mxqth wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Is it true that Adelaide has some of the hottest summers in Australia, hotter than
    > >in Sydney?
    >
    > Have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.BoM.GOV.AU/climate/forms/map_forms/imagemap.shtml
    >
    > According to that, Adelaide is on average, drier and cooler than Sydney.
    >
    > Sydney has 10+ rainy days a month all year round, Adelaide has 10+ rainy days per
    > month for half the year.
    >
    > The extreme heat graph looks similar for both. They can both exceed 40C in the
    > summer months.

The heat is something to be experienced!

>
    > I haven't applied yet, but am aiming to move to the Adelaide area. The Fleurieu
    > Peninsula, to the south of Adelaide looks nice in the guide books and websites.
    >

A good choice ,we live in the Onkaparinga Hills at the start of the Fleurieu. It is
much greener down this way.

Russell

--

Old Apr 25th 2002, 12:47 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i remember spending a week in adelaide about 4 years ago before flying to whyalla to spend xmas with my wifes parents who have always lived there (small steel town). the heat had been slowly climbing for about 2 weeks and then came the 42 degree days for another week. unbelieveable dry heat - we were staying near the beach in glenelg (love glenelg) but amazingly (to me anyway) was despite all this heat and sunshine the sea temperature was absolutely freezing - it was a strange moment being too hot to sit on the beach and too cold to sit in the sea.

adelaide is a beautiful city and we could have settled there but no jobs in my area of (limited) expertise. In fact there did'nt seem to be a lot of jobs full stop although we formed this view solely on the basis of the job advertising in the adelaide times.
Old Apr 29th 2002, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for your replies!

I am still in doubt whether to go to Sydney where I have a few helpful friends and co-nationals , or should I go to Adelaide where I was offered a good job, but I have nobody.
It's good thing that it gets dry in summer rather than humid.
I also understand that the life is more expensive in Sydney than in Adelaide.
Regarding the temperatures, I live in S-E Europe and we had last summer aprox. 7 days with temperatures of 40-42 (45 in the office - no air conditioning!) and though, we survived .

How are the people in Adelaide, are they nice? Can one make friends easy there?
Old Apr 29th 2002, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carol,

We are planning to go to Adelaide too. We went there last year and found the people very friendly. I'm sure you will make friends through work etc, and especially if you have children you will.
I'm sure too that there are plenty of people to keep in touch with through expats that you could eventually meet up with, me included.

Regards
Debbie
Old Apr 30th 2002, 4:30 am
Russell Driver

mxqth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > thanks everyone for your replies!
    >
    > I am still in doubt whether to go to Sydney where I have a few helpful friends and
    > co-nationals , or should I go to Adelaide where I was offered a good job, but I
    > have nobody. It's good thing that it gets dry in summer rather than humid. I also
    > understand that the life is more expensive in Sydney than in Adelaide. Regarding
    > the temperatures, I live in S-E Europe and we had last summer aprox. 7 days with
    > temperatures of 40-42 (45 in the office - no air conditioning!) and though, we
    > survived .
    >
    > How are the people in Adelaide, are they nice? Can one make friends easy there?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > hopeful, ever hopeful....

You really have to decide for yourself about where you want to live,but:

Personally I would take the good job and try Adelaide out. Adelaide is a hell of a
lot cheaper to live in than Sydney and much more relaxed. Adelaide has a
Mediterranean climate and it actually feels quite like a Mediterranean city also so
you should feel at home.

The city does still feel like a small town at times,a lot of people know one
another. Yes the people in Adelaide are nice if sometimes conservative.Their warmth
shines through!

We have made plenty of friends here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Russell

--

Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I thought i would ressurrect this post for all those going to Adelaide.
Some positive views on it here!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:13 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
I thought i would ressurrect this post for all those going to Adelaide.
Some positive views on it here!

added this one to my reading list! We aim to go to adelaide, but it will be a couple of years yet! nice to see others head that way - hasnt jockney and his family gone to glenelg??

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.