Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

adding dependent child to visa

View Poll Results: If Oz is so great, why are so many Australians over here !?
England is so old and quaint
They love the wind, rain, frost , sleet etc
The English are so hospitable.
No where else will take them !!
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

adding dependent child to visa

Old Jun 21st 2002, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
tinaj's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Gold Coast- the best place in the world
Posts: 3,196
tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default adding dependent child to visa

We are about to apply for skilled independent PR Oz visa. The main problem is as I have a child from a previous relationship I cannot include him on the application without a court order stating I have full custody etc. After seeking legal advice I was informed that this would be a very long expensive process. There is no chance of his father agreeing to the migration.

Our child is now 14, when he reaches 16 we are no longer required to get a court order.
As the visas are taking so long to process could we apply, excluding him from the visa and then apply to add him on as a dependent child when he is 16 ?

Is there a time scale that we would have to wait before being apply to apply for him as a dependent ? Or would we have to be residing in Oz before we added him to the visa ( obviously that is not possible).

Does anyone have any experience of this?

thanks for any advice received

tinaj is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast
ywoods's Avatar
Joined: May 2002
Location: London
Posts: 603
ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: adding dependent child to visa


I am going through the same thing. My son is almost 16, but to satisfy Aussie law, you must have permission to remove you child from the country permanently. The age limit is 18 not 16. If you have full custody of the child, it is a mere process that you have to go through. You have to apply to the county court for an order using a C1, the papers have to be served to the dad and then you go to court and hopefully things go ok and you get your order, which you then send with your application. If you still have contact with the dad, you can ask him to sign a letter showing his permission and get it signed by a solicitor which is also adequate.

I hope this is of some use to you, I am in court on Monday regarding my son, and in due course I can let you know what happened. I have no idea if my sons dad is going to oppose or not, but it should be cut and dried seeing as no contact has happened in the last 13 years.

Good luck

ywoods is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.