Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Add Support For Those Affected By The Bombings Today!!

Add Support For Those Affected By The Bombings Today!!

Old Jul 8th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Add Support For Those Affected By The Bombings Today!!

Originally Posted by HUP
Seeing the proud resolute spirit of those affected by this atrocity is truely touching. My thoughts and best wished to anyone touched by these horrendous events. I hope London bounces back very quickly to stick two fingers up at the terrorists

Hard to know what to say that hasn't already been said, London is one of my most favourite cities and am also very familiar with the places shown on tv, just very sad and upsetting for all those people involved and praise to the spirit of people and the emergency services for doing an amazing job, my heart goes out to everyone and understand the need for people wanting to be there, think HUP sums it up very well.

Teresa xxx
Old Jul 8th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I just would like to write what i am thinking today. I dont really care if people think i am being silly, disagree with me, or are not interested in my thoughts. All i want to do is express how i feel inside.

I spent 38yrs growing up, living, and working in London. Although i had numerous overseas holidays, i had never lived anywhere else. In fact, I never left London because i hated it or had any axe to grind. I just fell in love and married a kiwi. I wanted to get away and start a new life and see things and places i had not had the opportunity to do before.
Whilst i am very happy living in Australia and certainly don't want to leave, i can't help feeling a sense of betrayal being here right now. Yes its silly and illogical. I just feel sooo distressed watching my old home patch devastated in this way, and MY people suffering at the hands of these depraved murderous b*stards.
I am glued to the TV watching all the streets and roads i used to drive around as a taxi driver for many years before i owned my own company. Noticing the landmarks, little side roads and places i used to park up, even seeing shops i'd sometimes frequented. Last night it made me want to cry and i dont do that easily.
Altogether, i had been in 14 bomb scares before i left (all but 4 were hoaxes) It made me think of how i used to feel when it happened. The first few terrified me and i felt a high degree of panic inside. Yesterday bought it all back. The bizarre thing is that after its happened several times you become somewhat anaethetised to it and "know the drill". I think the worst thing is being in your car, nowhere to move because of gridlock traffic, looking around and wondering if the building next or you or the car parked on the side of the road is going to blow up. (i am referring to the Harrods bomb as i was in Kensington at the time)
This probably sounds a bit melodramatic, but the feeling of not being in control of your own destiny is very scary indeed.

I have this really strong urge to be back there right now. I want to see my kids, granchildren and just generally be with the community i left behind. Many people slate London and Londoners in general. They forget that for many of us who grew up there, we DO have a community and its not all money rich, uncaring and aloof people. I miss them right now.

My deepest sympathy to all those affected
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I just would like to write what i am thinking today. I dont really care if people think i am being silly, disagree with me, or are not interested in my thoughts. All i want to do is express how i feel inside.

I spent 38yrs growing up, living, and working in London. Although i had numerous overseas holidays, i had never lived anywhere else. In fact, I never left London because i hated it or had any axe to grind. I just fell in love and married a kiwi. I wanted to get away and start a new life and see things and places i had not had the opportunity to do before.
Whilst i am very happy living in Australia and certainly don't want to leave, i can't help feeling a sense of betrayal being here right now. Yes its silly and illogical. I just feel sooo distressed watching my old home patch devastated in this way, and MY people suffering at the hands of these depraved murderous b*stards.
I am glued to the TV watching all the streets and roads i used to drive around as a taxi driver for many years before i owned my own company. Noticing the landmarks, little side roads and places i used to park up, even seeing shops i'd sometimes frequented. Last night it made me want to cry and i dont do that easily.
Altogether, i had been in 14 bomb scares before i left (all but 4 were hoaxes) It made me think of how i used to feel when it happened. The first few terrified me and i felt a high degree of panic inside. Yesterday bought it all back. The bizarre thing is that after its happened several times you become somewhat anaethetised to it and "know the drill". I think the worst thing is being in your car, nowhere to move because of gridlock traffic, looking around and wondering if the building next or you or the car parked on the side of the road is going to blow up. (i am referring to the Harrods bomb as i was in Kensington at the time)
This probably sounds a bit melodramatic, but the feeling of not being in control of your own destiny is very scary indeed.

I have this really strong urge to be back there right now. I want to see my kids, granchildren and just generally be with the community i left behind. Many people slate London and Londoners in general. They forget that for many of us who grew up there, we DO have a community and its not all money rich, uncaring and aloof people. I miss them right now.

Well said, I am sure you reflect the sentiments of many people right now........
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:50 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Same here Poll. The girls at work saw my alarm last night when i text my friend, The first thing they asked as i walked in today was she ok. They looked after me all day with tea cos they knew I'd been up half the night. Every client asked me how i was and if my family were safe. I was very touched indeed

I also had this response from the Mums at school this morning, felt a bit of a fraud as I'm not from London (only my sister there, thankfully safe) but it was really touhing and thoughtful.
Strangely, my english friends from school and I didnt discuss it, though I guess we're all more aware that we arent likely to be so affected, being from further north.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:09 pm
Merlot

Karma to you.

M

Old Jul 9th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Excellent post. Know how you feel
Old Jul 9th 2005, 2:32 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Excellent song played on the Breakfast Show on Radio One, the day after, voted for by the public -

Tubthumping by Chumbawamba

'I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down'

Never thought it appropriate but the words above just show the British spirit!! Although, saying that, I am going to London in 3 weeks for a 3 night stay and I can tell you I will not be using the tube or the buses!!

All the sad stories are coming out now of missing loved ones, it breaks my heart, I hope the b******s are happy!

Jayne
Old Jul 9th 2005, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
I am going to London in 3 weeks for a 3 night stay and I can tell you I will not be using the tube or the buses!!
No one is using them!

I was out and about last night in Central London and for a Friday night, the place is still a Ghost Town!

At 2am bus stops in Piccadilly which would norm have 40 - 50 ppl waiting had the odd few!

Restaurants look like they are open for the sake of it!

Very quiet out there, but to be expected I guess.