activating visa

Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

bostik is an unknown quantity at this point
Question activating visa

hi, when and if our PR visa turns up how do we activate it. We may not wish to move to Perth immediately perhaps leave it a couple of years, but have family there. Can we still travel there on tourist visas just to visit?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default activating visa

We have been told by our agent that you only have a certain amount of time to activate the visa and apparently it runs from the date you submit medicals/police checks.We don't know the exact timespan but vaguely recall 8-10 months being mentioned(don't quote me on that).Apparently this is because if it's left much longer than this (theoretically) you could develop an illness/commit an offence and would then need to apply again for meds/police checks.Typical Oz-application procedure paranoia methinks.You might want to get slightly more acurate facts than ours but at least it's a starting point!!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: activating visa

Originally posted by bostik
hi, when and if our PR visa turns up how do we activate it. We may not wish to move to Perth immediately perhaps leave it a couple of years, but have family there. Can we still travel there on tourist visas just to visit?

My dearest informs me, when the Visa is approved, to activate you have 12 months from the date your medicals were submitted and to activate you need only enter OZ and get your passport stamped, make sure they STAMP IT !!!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost right then-good to know it's 12 months(longer than we thought)especially as we have had a delay since passing our medicals,we were starting to worry that we might not have much time left when/if visa comes through.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Hi,

The 12 month rule does apply although it isn't always spot on. Anyway, when you get you visa it will state that you MUST (and any other family members who have visas) enter Australia by a certain date. If you don't then the visa is invalid. You can go and get your visa validated in Oz then go back home for a couple of years and then emigrate. But you must validate your visa.

Adrain
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by alrobson
Hi,

The 12 month rule does apply although it isn't always spot on. Anyway, when you get you visa it will state that you MUST (and any other family members who have visas) enter Australia by a certain date. If you don't then the visa is invalid. You can go and get your visa validated in Oz then go back home for a couple of years and then emigrate. But you must validate your visa.

Adrain

So adrian,

If me and my wife activated our visas and inadvertantly forgot to take the kids , for validation purposes , they couldnt come with us.... hmm now THERE is a thought !!!!

On a serious note tho,

Lets say Meds came thru 6 mths b4 ur visas granted, that leaves u approx 6 mths to get your act together etc, thats not a large timeframe is it, considering booking tickets, house sale , pets etc !!!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:07 pm
owieb

The 12 months isn't based just on the meds. It is also based on your police report. So if you had your police report done before your meds then that is the date they will go from.

If there is a family of you it will be taken on the earliest date of all the medicals/police reports.

I also believe that it's not the date your medicals/police reports were submitted it's the date they were actually done. So if you had them done in March, but didn't submit them till April, they would still take March as the date.

We had our medicals done on the 05/05/03. Adelaide received them about 31st May 2003 and our police reports were submitted end of June 2003, but we have to activate the visas by the 05/05/04.

I'm sure someone like Alan Collett will be able to correct me if I have it wrong.

Last edited by owieb; Jan 13th 2004 at 1:23 pm.

Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:15 pm
Banned

Originally posted by owieb
The 12 months isn't based just on the meds. It is also based on your police report. So if you had your police report done before your meds then that is the date they will go from.

If there is a family of you it will be taken on the earliest date of all the medicals/police reports.

I also believe that it's not the date your medicals/police reports were submitted it's the date they were actually done. So if you had them done in March, but didn't submit them till April, they would still take March as the date.

We had our medicals done on the 05/05/03. Adelaide received them about 31st May 2003, but we have to activate the visas by the 05/05/04.

I'm sure someone like Alan Collett will be able to correct me if I have it wrong.
Thanks OWIE, that will please my MRS greatly lol,

Have copied and pasted info and await her reply :eek
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

It doesn't leave a lot of time to validate if you have something like your house to sell, but you can go over and validate, come back and then sell your house. Obviously, this costs more!!

This issue is one of the reasons Alan Collett (GoMatilda) keeps on reminding people to think seriously about doing their police checks and medicals before they are asked for them. I waited and had almost a year before I need to go, but I've seen on this forum where people have only 3 months because they sent them early. Your choice really, but do think about when you do them.

Regards,

Adrian
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

montagt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default activating Visa's

I am moving out to Perth at the end of January and my wife and children will be following me out a few weeks later. My wife and childrens Visa has it stipulated that they cannot activate the visa before me.

How will they know that I have already entered Australia ?

Will they have any problems??
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

It's all done electronically, so you just have to have a bit of faith in the system!! If you are at the airport to pick them up and anything goes wrong then you will be able to prove that you entered before them. Don't worry, it'll be OK.

Adrian
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

montagt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by alrobson
Hi,

It's all done electronically, so you just have to have a bit of faith in the system!! If you are at the airport to pick them up and anything goes wrong then you will be able to prove that you entered before them. Don't worry, it'll be OK.

Adrian

Damn I was hoping to deny all knowledge of the wife and 3 kids.........