Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Activating the Visa

Activating the Visa

Old Jul 18th 2002, 10:12 am
martinr

Default Activating the Visa

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a trivial question - if my PR visa states I must be in Aus by end of Nov, can I activate it by making a short holiday trip before then, and then return to UK? Would my Visa then be valid for 5 years after that?

Thanks,
Martin

Old Jul 18th 2002, 10:39 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating the Visa

Hi Martin.

Yes, your visa will be validated so long as your passport is stamped by immigration at the airport before the Initial Entry Date - irrespective of the purpose of your visit to Australia.

Your visa is then valid for 5 years from the date of visa grant.

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Old Jul 18th 2002, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens at your first entry? Any special form you have to fill, and does it take longer than a normal tourist visa?

Those who have entered OZ, please enlighten.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 10:15 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - all you have to fill in is a straightforward landing card, the same as all arrivals in Australia. You'll probably be given this on the aircraft, or at check in at the last airport you leave before arriving in Australia.

Best regards.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:20 am
Kc

Alan,

Can just the main applicant do this or does the whole family that's immigrating have
to travel to get PR validated? Thanks for any help with this.

Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:28 am
Migration Agent

Wasn't this question asked on another thread a day or two ago?

The whole family has to travel and have their passports stamped before the Initial Entry Date.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Kc
Alan,

Can just the main applicant do this or does the whole family that's immigrating have
to travel to get PR validated? Thanks for any help with this.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan

There was a thread which I started but the question was slightly different. In agreement that the whole family has to travel and get vaildated before initial entry date, but question was - does the whole family have to travel TOGETHER initially or can the principle go first, return to the UK (or anywhere offshore) and then travel back with rest later (obviously before the initial entry date) ?

Finch
Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:19 pm
Migration Agent

Hi Finch.

Yes, that's fine - the main applicant can enter Australia first and then return to his/her "original" country. Then all of the family can travel to Australia - so long as they do so before the Initial Entry Date, as you say.

Best regards.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Alan, can plan the recce now!

Finch
Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:20 pm
Kc

Finch, Thank you for posting that..it was what I was asking too but I guess I didn't
word it as clearly.

Alan, Thanks for the clarification, its appreciated.