Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ACS/RPL Verification

ACS/RPL Verification

Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

alfrednirmal is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face ACS/RPL Verification

Can anybody tell me how does ACS verify work experience papers and education certificates? Will they call my boss or send an email…well I keep asking my boss if he got a call from them. He seems to be getting frustrated.

Someone please respond.... Your answer could give my boss and me a lot of peace

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:22 pm
earlswood

Hi Alfred,

My hubby got his positive skills Assesment from ACS a couple of months ago.
He sent in depth references from bosses past and present but they didn't contact them as far as he knows.

I think that's something DIMIA will probably do though

Earlswood

Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Default Reference letters

Thanks, that’s really good. But I hope they finish assessing my papers soon. Do you have any idea how much time they require?

I sent one page reference letters from my employers. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:25 pm
earlswood

As long as the reference covers things like exact dates of employment, current salary, 5 main duties, the name, contact name and number, the title of your line manager etc they should be sufficient. I think the estimated assessment time ranges from 5 to 10 weeks. Ours took 5 weeks.

Earlswood

Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Default RPL-CBOK

My experience letters cover every aspect required except the salary. I have sent them my present salary slip and offer letters, is that enough?

I also sent them a 15 page document for each of the programming languages and software’s I use for web development. I prepared a separate project description document and copied my latest work and ebooks on a CD. Will this be sufficient for the RPL/CBOK assessment?

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:31 am
owieb

Default Re: RPL-CBOK

Originally posted by alfrednirmal
My experience letters cover every aspect required except the salary. I have sent them my present salary slip and offer letters, is that enough?

I also sent them a 15 page document for each of the programming languages and software’s I use for web development. I prepared a separate project description document and copied my latest work and ebooks on a CD. Will this be sufficient for the RPL/CBOK assessment?

Thanks,
Alfred
Your documents must make direct reference to the items in the CBOK.

Without seeing what you've done it's difficult to tell, but a 15 page document that details a programming language, but does not address the items in the CBOK probably won't be sufficient.

There does seem to be a certain format that ACS like the application in. A lot of people used agents for this (including myself), but I'm sure people have done it themselves and been accepted.

Good Luck!

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:54 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the whole thing myself.

The general direction seemed to be that you need independent paperwork that proved what you put on the application form and on your CV.

Allthough they ask for a reference essentially what they are asking for is a Job Description from a named person in the companies you have worked for. I sent them one reference from each employer, each reference simply contained my job description and a list of my duties and skills, and importantly was signed and DATED by that person.

At the end of the day my CV and my form could contain bogus claims, whereas a formal letter from an employer can be checked if there is any doubt.

I got my assessment back reasonably quickly and interestingly enough they told me what skilled category I qualified for.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. I did the whole thing myself. It took several months to get the references, validated and to fill in the application form. The form was 100 pages long too, to link to the CBOK etc.

DIMIA are not likely to check references authenticity unless you haven't had it signed by a third party.

A word of warning, the CBOK contains many areas of expertise required not just programming. Essentially you are proving you have the skills and learnings of an IT degree equivalent. You will find it hard to get a degree based purely on programming hence the other areas of the CBOK.

Good luck.

Originally posted by cutgrass
I did the whole thing myself.

The general direction seemed to be that you need independent paperwork that proved what you put on the application form and on your CV.

Allthough they ask for a reference essentially what they are asking for is a Job Description from a named person in the companies you have worked for. I sent them one reference from each employer, each reference simply contained my job description and a list of my duties and skills, and importantly was signed and DATED by that person.

At the end of the day my CV and my form could contain bogus claims, whereas a formal letter from an employer can be checked if there is any doubt.

I got my assessment back reasonably quickly and interestingly enough they told me what skilled category I qualified for.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:48 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

The qualification assessment was something I experienced first hand.

In my example they equated an Engineering degree and an MBA as worth the same as an MSc in IT. You don't get many points for an MSc so I needed to have enough years experience as well. Which I had (just).