Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ACS RPL MCSE only Whats the chances?????

ACS RPL MCSE only Whats the chances?????

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

John & Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation ACS RPL MCSE only Whats the chances?????

Hello!

We are trying to get a definitive answer on skills assesments & RPL's. I have the following skills but no two people give the same answer on skills assesments.

1988 - 1997
communications (electronics) Engineer with the Royal Navy (City & Guilds qualifications)

1997 - to date
I continually improved my IT skills leading to a MCSE (Exchange server)in 1998. I now work for a very large multinational designing large scale Exchange server implementations for 3rd parties.

I have no degree, no HND, no HNC etc just some City & guilds from the navy & my MCSE.

What I'd like to know is - is this enough to get through a skills assesment - or do I have to do an RPL - if so what exactly are they looking for? An extended CV style breakdown of the last 15 years work experience or just employer references?

Cheers!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS RPL MCSE only Whats the chances?????

Originally posted by John & Maggie
Hello!

We are trying to get a definitive answer on skills assesments & RPL's. I have the following skills but no two people give the same answer on skills assesments.

1988 - 1997
communications (electronics) Engineer with the Royal Navy (City & Guilds qualifications)

1997 - to date
I continually improved my IT skills leading to a MCSE (Exchange server)in 1998. I now work for a very large multinational designing large scale Exchange server implementations for 3rd parties.

I have no degree, no HND, no HNC etc just some City & guilds from the navy & my MCSE.

What I'd like to know is - is this enough to get through a skills assesment - or do I have to do an RPL - if so what exactly are they looking for? An extended CV style breakdown of the last 15 years work experience or just employer references?

Cheers!
You could try contacting the ACS and asking, after you have had a look at heir web site.

I reckon you will have to go down the RPL route which isn't a CV style document, or a list of references. It's more like a (long) report of everything you've done in IT with a strong empasis on what you have learnt.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm in IT and waiting for the result of my Visa application. I have a degree and many years experience working for a software house. As it stands you probably won't have enough points without a degree to get an IT based visa. The microsoft certification won't make any difference. I had to become a full professional member of the BCS, and a CEng before the ACS would do my skills assesement. Even then I needed good employer references!
You will have to have specific IT skills which are on the 'in demand' list, and be an MBCS to give you a chance of being approved. Have a look at the BCS web site to see if you could qualify. The BCS membership process can take a long time and requires interviewes etc. Sorry to sound a bit negative but it really is hard work.

Good Luck.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't all IT occupations off the MODL now?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:27 am
owieb

Originally posted by bondipom
Aren't all IT occupations off the MODL now?
Certainly are!

Old Jan 4th 2004, 4:54 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS RPL MCSE only Whats the chances?????

Originally posted by John & Maggie
1997 - to date
I would urge you to search the archives for "MCSE" and see what you can find for yourself.

The last time I checked, Microsoft certified engineers/developers are categorized as Group B applicants. Note that this entails MCSE/MCSD certification, and not merely an MCP.

More information on Group B can be read from the ACS guidelines available from http://www.acs.org.au/

Full membership of the BCS/ACS is considered a Group A qualification, but it's not the only way in for non-IT graduates.

Peter
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

John & Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the help.

We found some info from the ACS - MCSE plus the experience I have (system designer) looks like it will be enough - so I'll keep my fingers crossed and put in the paperwork
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

You are right - with the number of years of experience you have and MCSE you will qualify for category B

Good luck