British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ACS RPL Application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/acs-rpl-application-106714/)

Nick Henderson Feb 19th 2002 10:54 pm

ACS RPL Application

I am getting increasingly fed up with the ACS RPL application.

If there's any succesful applicants still reading these pages - any tips.

I'm been in IT for a 'long' time but don't have a single qualification.

Somebody give me break.

MrFlibbleUK Feb 20th 2002 7:29 am

Re: ACS RPL Application

If you do a search on the forum for RPL you should come up with a few ideas....I know one guy on the group had a sucessful RPL and was willing to give people detailed info on all the stuff he used....might be worth digging the details out.

George Lombard Feb 20th 2002 9:25 am

Hi Nick,

We offer support to people writing RPL submissions, but there's no simple way of
proving that you have acquired professional skills on the job without writing
something. Email me if you want some help. We hold seminars occasionally for
migration agents on this subject and last November we were delighted to see Jas Uppal
attend one, but the bottom line for RPL is just a lot of writing and detail.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Nick Henderson wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >I am getting increasingly fed up with the ACS RPL application.
    >
    >If there's any succesful applicants still reading these pages - any tips.
    >
    >I'm been in IT for a 'long' time but don't have a single qualification.
    >
    >Somebody give me break.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Susanne Feb 20th 2002 12:05 pm

Nick

I found there seemed to be an emphasis on references from employers (for the previous
4 years). I do have an HNC computing but it's so old it's written in Latin!! I
managed to get excellent references stating what technical experience I was using and
the details software packages. In my view this swung the balance.

Go for the detailed refs and good luck.

Susanne

Steve Fox Feb 22nd 2002 3:45 am

I'm an American, 36, never attended Uni. Submitted my ACS RPL application last year
and it was accepted within just a couple weeks. I basically filled in all the blanks
in their forms with extensive details of my experience, slanted heavily toward what i
learned from my experiences as opposed to what technical skills I have. Oddly though,
on their approval letter ACS proclaimed I have extensive experience in Java
programming, and barely mentioned my other skills. In fact I had said in my
application I'd only read a few books about Java and even questioned it's usefulness
to me. Nevertheless, I got what I wanted so I can't complain. Still waiting on my PR
though -- it's been over 6 months.

"Nick Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am getting increasingly fed up with the ACS RPL application.
    >
    > If there's any succesful applicants still reading these pages - any tips.

dave66 Feb 22nd 2002 4:32 am

I'm in the same boat. I have 14 years Oracle DBA experience, no qualifications. Took me a long time to write mine. I have given it to the ACS, so far waiting 3 weeks. I would describe the experience as pure bullshit exercise. Why don't they just ask my boss if I can do the job ? Don't tell anyone, but I just downloaded a load of stuff from the internet and re-worded it !! That's what they do in universities isn't it ?

Nick Henderson Feb 22nd 2002 11:15 pm

Thanks for the replies I'm going with the 'what you have learned ' idea, its what they want.

Going to spend the next day or so rewriting it.

Will post a note as soon as I hear something.

Anybody any ideas on a good place to explore options in OZ. Melbourne and Syndey seem swamped with IT people. Looking for opportunities to provide consultancy to companies rather then a full time job.

Once again thanks for help

Nick

Alps Feb 27th 2002 12:25 pm

Dear NICK H

Yes, I have successfully been assessed by ACS, last month as being eligible to
apply for migration. From what I have read here, its true that at ACS they ask for
lots of references and the form filling exercise is defintely exhaustive.
Neverthless, its a good one, with all details in there and yes I think there is
more weightage of assessing your skills on the latest employment and your skills
being put to test there ;)

All the best.

Regards

Alps

Nick Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for the replies I'm going with the 'what you have learned ' idea, its what
    > they want.
    >
    > Going to spend the next day or so rewriting it.
    >
    > Will post a note as soon as I hear something.
    >
    > Anybody any ideas on a good place to explore options in OZ. Melbourne and Syndey
    > seem swamped with IT people. Looking for opportunities to provide consultancy to
    > companies rather then a full time job.
    >
    > Once again thanks for help
    >
    > Nick

forgan Jul 24th 2002 3:20 am

Hi,

I am quite confused at this moment by the RPL.

What I am doing (IT Manager) is quite different from what I have learned on the campus (Trade).

Anybody who can help me with following please give a hand:

1. Sample submission (esp. the statement of IT knowledge acquisition history);

2. What are the all documents necessary to submit?

3. How and how much to pay?

My email address is: [email protected].

Thanks a lot for any help.

Forgan

percyp Jul 25th 2002 12:42 pm

Sympathies to you guys, I was about to do the RPL, but then got the chance of a 457 visa instead.
This is a quote from a guy who was very helpful a few months back, I've already put this into another reply a while back, but it's worth quoting again. Can't remember you name, but thanks anyway.
It does seem important to get those detail refs as well

All other info is on the ACS web pages

RPL example.........quote......

I filled out these sections :

1 Computer Organisation and Architecture X
2 Conceptual Modeling X
3 Database Management X
4 Data Communications and Networks
5 Data Structures and Algorithms
6 Discrete Mathematics
7 Ethical/Social Implications/Professional Practice X
8 Interpersonal Communications X
9 Program Design and Implementation X
10 Project Management X
11 Security X
12 Software Engineering and Methodologies X
13 Systems Analysis and Design
14 Systems Software X

Here is an example of what I wrote for the project management part, all sections were similar in length :

XXX (a company I worked for in the past), sole business was developing and selling their project management system, called XXX. Working on a project management system helped me to learn about the different aspects of managing a project and gave me a better understanding of the whole project cycle. The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) methodology and standards I learnt at XXX gave me a better understanding of the importance of quality assurance. I personally think that a lot of companies shun the quality aspects of software. XXX ,(in my opinion) seem to want to get code out too fast these days and I come across problems almost daily that should have been picked up in simple quality assurance tests. Still, it seems to work for them. Software QA involves the entire software development process - monitoring and improving the process, making sure that any agreed-upon standards and procedures are followed, and ensuring that problems are found and dealt with. I have been involved in many types of QA testing for example, black box testing with XXX, integration testing with customized XX code and XXX, system testing at all sites I work at, this usually covers all combined parts of a system and is similar to black box testing. I do quite a bit of load, stress and performance testing for XXX clients. We normally use a product called XXX these days to do our stress and performance testing. XXX itself has recently included a ‘Network Test’ form (Please see screen dump attached). The Network Test consists of a latency test and a bandwidth test. Latency is the time it takes for a single packet to make a round trip from your client side application to the server. The bandwidth test examines the data rate to see how many bytes per second your network can transfer from the server to the client. I have never had a position as a project manager and I tend to shy away from this, as I prefer a more technical role. I do see myself as a mini-project manager on some of my tasks, for example upgrading an XXX for a client takes some managerial skills, ie. planning, scheduling, tasking and testing.

Yes, I got a positive assessment.

sas123 Nov 10th 2005 2:39 am

Originally Posted by percyp
Sympathies to you guys, I was about to do the RPL, but then got the chance of a 457 visa instead.
This is a quote from a guy who was very helpful a few months back, I've already put this into another reply a while back, but it's worth quoting again. Can't remember you name, but thanks anyway.
It does seem important to get those detail refs as well

All other info is on the ACS web pages

RPL example.........quote......

I filled out these sections :

1 Computer Organisation and Architecture X
2 Conceptual Modeling X
3 Database Management X
4 Data Communications and Networks
5 Data Structures and Algorithms
6 Discrete Mathematics
7 Ethical/Social Implications/Professional Practice X
8 Interpersonal Communications X
9 Program Design and Implementation X
10 Project Management X
11 Security X
12 Software Engineering and Methodologies X
13 Systems Analysis and Design
14 Systems Software X

Here is an example of what I wrote for the project management part, all sections were similar in length :

XXX (a company I worked for in the past), sole business was developing and selling their project management system, called XXX. Working on a project management system helped me to learn about the different aspects of managing a project and gave me a better understanding of the whole project cycle. The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) methodology and standards I learnt at XXX gave me a better understanding of the importance of quality assurance. I personally think that a lot of companies shun the quality aspects of software. XXX ,(in my opinion) seem to want to get code out too fast these days and I come across problems almost daily that should have been picked up in simple quality assurance tests. Still, it seems to work for them. Software QA involves the entire software development process - monitoring and improving the process, making sure that any agreed-upon standards and procedures are followed, and ensuring that problems are found and dealt with. I have been involved in many types of QA testing for example, black box testing with XXX, integration testing with customized XX code and XXX, system testing at all sites I work at, this usually covers all combined parts of a system and is similar to black box testing. I do quite a bit of load, stress and performance testing for XXX clients. We normally use a product called XXX these days to do our stress and performance testing. XXX itself has recently included a ‘Network Test’ form (Please see screen dump attached). The Network Test consists of a latency test and a bandwidth test. Latency is the time it takes for a single packet to make a round trip from your client side application to the server. The bandwidth test examines the data rate to see how many bytes per second your network can transfer from the server to the client. I have never had a position as a project manager and I tend to shy away from this, as I prefer a more technical role. I do see myself as a mini-project manager on some of my tasks, for example upgrading an XXX for a client takes some managerial skills, ie. planning, scheduling, tasking and testing.

Yes, I got a positive assessment.

Thanks for this it is useful!

renth Nov 10th 2005 2:50 am

Originally Posted by sas123
Thanks for this it is useful!

Great, a three year old thread which should have been on the immigration forum anyway resurected :confused:

And bumped to the top by me - Doh! :D

sas123 Nov 10th 2005 4:39 am

Originally Posted by renth
Great, a three year old thread which should have been on the immigration forum anyway resurected :confused:

And bumped to the top by me - Doh! :D

Well 3 years old to you but the issue is still going through by many of us and so is a current problem!!!!!!

renth Nov 10th 2005 4:57 am

Originally Posted by sas123
Well 3 years old to you but the issue is still going through by many of us and so is a current problem!!!!!!

Then discuss it on the immigration forum where it belongs.

sas123 Nov 10th 2005 5:12 am

Originally Posted by renth
Then discuss it on the immigration forum where it belongs.

Gosh you're a harsh person......... :(