Reload this Page >

ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning Bits

ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning Bits

Old Mar 14th 2004, 2:27 am
Just Joined

mwrpl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning Bits

Hello,

I hope you won't mind but I am doing my reply in one post as most of you know I am in the process of going through my RPL:

1. EssexNobby & everyone ,
Employers' references. I also was a contractor in the UK. I was wondering if I was a contractor will it be better to get the company I worked for to do my references or is it better to get the agencies? As I read somewhere that you have to show payslips and P45, etc..

2. Annelie - Good luck to you, too..

I feel very stressed out to tell you the truth.. I have been in Sydney for a yr now.. and have a tough time getting a work visa - I have one but .. long story!! Anyhow, I keep reminding myself I am here because of my health which has improved a lot despite the stress! And thanks for the tips!

Billabong,

If you don't mind me asking have you got your ACS result?

I had a few replies about being aware of ACS not too keen on PC support as it is only 40 point application and not a 60 point application. If I have 8yrs work exp altogether.. is my only option for Skilled migration is being assessed by ACS for RPL?? As I was going to try Vetassess??

And thanks for your tips, too

Enrique,

You are right and thanks for pointing it out, PC Support is only 40points but I had the impression that my best option is to go through RPL, but my agent.. I have not had good things back from her so I am not sure now.. where to turn.. My 8 yrs in PC support: some are in web design (18mths), project mgt (6mths). What other job title/ occupation can I try for??

5. Renth,

You mentioned that you have joined the British Computer Society as a profesional member. What do you mean by being nominated by an existing member?? (Not that I know anyone who is an exisitng memeber..) I have to check it out.. I understand even if you are BCS you will still need to go through RPL..

Also, I read a posting from somewhere that if you have MCSE & no.. of X experience in IT then you are quailifed in Group?? So if I do a one yr course in Oracle which I am doing will that also qualified?? will my 8yrs IT experience?

6. I just wanted to say again to all - I really appreciate your time in replying to me and sharing your info, too.

Hope you have had a lovely weekend and for those who are doing RPL - good luck. I am going to try and confirm I can do RPL!

M
Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

mwrpl,

Yes I was assessed with a good enough deeming date from the ACS back in July.

I read in your response that you have experienced other areas. The only thing I can say is to build those areas up as much as possible and hope the ACS bracket you under a different ASCO code.

Good luck
Old Mar 14th 2004, 3:19 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

As a rule, I always tried to get references for my contract jobs from the agent that I worked through. They were all really good about it which kind of surprised me as contracting agents in general weren't that hot on admin when I used to contract through them . The one exception to this was one agency that I contracted through back in 1995 which has since gone out of business. I had to resort to contacting the actual client that I was working for at the time and ask them to provide a reference. It was hard work I can tell you. I met a whole load of resistance, got passed around various people and departments and had to wait weeks until I finally got a reference.

Trying to get a reference from a client is not something that I would recommend !, unless it's a last resort
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I was assessed with a good enough deeming date from the ACS back in July.
Hi Billabong

Can you please explain to me exacty what this deeming date is and if it can be negative in any way? I am not clear on what it means. Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Annelie,

ACS used to have a policy in which the imposed a date (deeming date) as the moment you started to be considered working at proffesional level. As a result, experience before this date was not considered by DIMIA.

DIMIA policyu have since change and this date have no efect anymore.

Cheers and good luck...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by Annelie
Hi Billabong

Can you please explain to me exacty what this deeming date is and if it can be negative in any way? I am not clear on what it means. Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Yep, that's the story!!

Thanks Enrique