Reload this Page >

ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning

ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning

Old Mar 9th 2004, 5:38 am
Just Joined

mwoz03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning

Hello Everyone

I am in the process of applying for the Australian Computer Society - Recognition of Prior Learning and would like to know if
anyone has been/are going through the same process?

I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
M
Old Mar 9th 2004, 7:18 am
Just Joined

colin_z1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning

Originally posted by mwoz03
Hello Everyone

I am in the process of applying for the Australian Computer Society - Recognition of Prior Learning and would like to know if
anyone has been/are going through the same process?

I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
M
I have completed the RPL process. Basically, the ACS want to know everything you have done down to the finest details...I mean details such as your opinions on published computer articles/books etc and how you may have tested theories out. When you get the form you will notice there is not a lot of soace for you to write in and you may think, like I did that they dont want a lot of info...WRONG. I was asked to re-submit my form in much deeper detail...11000 words later and I was done. Take your time with it and give them good details and explanations of procedures...it will be worth it in the end.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 7:51 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I completed the RPL about 10 months ago and it was by far the longest and most difficult part of the migration process so far.

Getting in touch with employers going back 10 years wasn't much fun, particularly as I had worked abroad for some of that time. I'd also spent 5 years contracting and quickly found out that agencies weren't too keen on giving references for contractors, many of the agencies didn't even exist anymore !

Basically it's just a case of ploughing through it. I set aside a couple of hours every evening over the space of a couple of months to get all of the RPL stuff done. It can be very frustrating and a cool beer at the end of some of the 2 hour sessions certainly helped ease the suffering
Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS - Recognition of Prior Learning

Hi All

I am also in the process of completing RPL. I am currently around 11 500 words and almost finished. (I have been writing for over 5 weeks now.) It is very hard work and there is always the concern in the back of your mind that it might not be sufficient. Good luck to all in the process or those attemting it! It is great stress, great fun and a good challenge! :-)
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

All that sounds horribly familiar. I did the 2 hours a night for about 4 weeks and then had to have a week off to get it out of the way as I was becoming brain dead fast

As the others have said you have to be incredibly methodical and detailed and focus on what you have learnt not what you have done. I think mine was 60+ pages of text by the time I was finished.

Good luck

Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

I did RPL some 9 months ago and got approved without writting 11000 words.

My RPL was Very detailed but was only 10-15 pages long.

I guess it will all depend on your experience and how you approach the writting process.

My only advice is that you remember that ACS does not care what you have done, only cares about what you have learned from it.

Cheers and good luck...

Originally posted by Billabong
All that sounds horribly familiar. I did the 2 hours a night for about 4 weeks and then had to have a week off to get it out of the way as I was becoming brain dead fast

As the others have said you have to be incredibly methodical and detailed and focus on what you have learnt not what you have done. I think mine was 60+ pages of text by the time I was finished.

Good luck

Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:58 am
Just Joined

mwoz03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya All,

Thanks v much for all your prompt replies.. I hope you don't mind but I have lots of questions..

I am from a pc support background so I am finding it hard to complete the RPL requirements. Did you complete all 13 topics as I was told by ACS I don't need to complete all 13 topics. ? how many words did you write about each topic? I was told by ACS to write 200 words for each topics (including the subtopic) + 2 Project reports. Most of my experience I got is through PC support so I am no expert in any of those topics but I 'know of them' ..

Is there anywhere on the net or anywhere I can go and read some examples?

Thanks again for coming back to me - is nice to know I am not alone )

thanks
M
Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mwoz03

Look at the different CBOK's and their detailed list of topics and choose which to write on. No need to write about everything as it is not likely that you will have extended experience in everything. Remember that they are assessing what you have learned. Unless you are some kind of super information consumer with 15 yrs+ varied experience, stick to what you know.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Mwoz03,

I was able to satisfy 7 or 8 (can't remember exactly) of the CBOK's. Some were shorter than others but beware that if the ACS tag you with PC support that comes under a 40 point application and not a 60 point application. Try and concentrate on the newtorking, data comms, project management type of stuff.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2004, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi M,

As far as I´ve heard, PC Support is assessed by VETASSESS and not by ACS, probably you would like to check that since I think it is a 40 points occupation.

Officially you don´t need to cover the whole 13 topics, but it is very difficult to get possitive assessment unless very complete.

As for samples, no, there is no known site for RPL samples in the Internet. RPL is a long and effort requiring process and usually people is not willing to give up their work.

Cheers and good luck...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by mwoz03
Hiya All,

Thanks v much for all your prompt replies.. I hope you don't mind but I have lots of questions..

I am from a pc support background so I am finding it hard to complete the RPL requirements. Did you complete all 13 topics as I was told by ACS I don't need to complete all 13 topics. ? how many words did you write about each topic? I was told by ACS to write 200 words for each topics (including the subtopic) + 2 Project reports. Most of my experience I got is through PC support so I am no expert in any of those topics but I 'know of them' ..

Is there anywhere on the net or anywhere I can go and read some examples?

Thanks again for coming back to me - is nice to know I am not alone )

thanks
M
Old Mar 10th 2004, 11:21 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by evila
Hi M,

As far as I´ve heard, PC Support is assessed by VETASSESS and not by ACS, probably you would like to check that since I think it is a 40 points occupation.

Officially you don´t need to cover the whole 13 topics, but it is very difficult to get possitive assessment unless very complete.

As for samples, no, there is no known site for RPL samples in the Internet. RPL is a long and effort requiring process and usually people is not willing to give up their work.

Cheers and good luck...

Enrique.-
I joined the British Computer Society as a profesional member, I still had to do a fair bit of paperwork and was nominated by an existing member but it meant I didn't have to do RPL.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 11:32 pm
Badge

My RPL was also huge, 47 pages and 15,555 words, but I kind of enjoyed it. You know what, *I* was the person who learnt the most about my profession - and some of the things I learnt I often quote in job interviews. Doing the RPL really helped that I didn't do an IT degree all those years back, and coupled with years of experience, really made a difference.

Remember they are interested in what you have LEARNT, and HOW you applied that knowledge to real life positions.

For each topic I did :

1) what I have done (they say they are not interested - but you have to have a door frame on which to hang the door!)
2)What I learnt
3)Examples of applying domain knowledge to my work experience. Say how to you applied it. Reference your CV at this stage.

You don't need to write as much as some of us did.

My long RPL ended up as mini text book for the IT professional and makes a concise reading text.

Badge

Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:54 am
Just Joined

mwrpl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking ACS RPL assessment

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me and for the pointers!! ) I am very very grateful..

Does anyone know of any agent who will be able to help with ACS assessment?
I have paid my agent $3000 and it has now been 8 weeks and they have only sent me the ACS guidelines (which I already have). They have started looking over the work I have done but they are just checking my grammar and spellings and nothing else. Should this be the case? If not, what should one be expecting from an agent?
Also, I had a chance to look through some postings on this site re: ACS assessment' and someone mentioned a while back in 2002 that they have posted an example of Project Management', see Post below:

" onlyme

22 May 2002 23:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Can anyone help with an example RPL form?
I think you will be very lucky to get someone to send you there complete form. A lot of hard work goes into them and nobody will want to stuff up their chances at the ACS or DIMA by letting someone else apply with more or less the same explanations. Plagiarism as a problem, was mentioned to me when I went to see the ACS.
The "project management" section I posted should point you in the right direction."

Where can I locate this example, please?

thanks again,
M
Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MWRPL,

We are using George Lombard (http://www.austimmigration.com.au) - he proof read the RPL application and was quite a big help in making modifications. He also provided an RPL example as a guide.

We did not pay him anywhere near $3000 either.

I would get onto your agent and kick thier ar**. You pay good money for a service you have the right to expect a good service.