ACS question

Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:19 am
Just Joined

everytime is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face ACS question

Hello everyone,

I have a question about skilled migration to Oz. I am a computer programmer and looking to go via ACS assessment. Whilst I have 3 years experience in IT my university degree is not in IT and I do not posses IT related qualifications.

I understand that this means I will have to also submit an RPL. But I am a bit worried about this wording in the skilled occupations list PDF
if you do not possess a recognised qualification in IT (or IT sub-discipline) but you have a qualification in another discipline together with significant experience in IT and extensive professional development education, you may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants in this category should have a minimum of six years relevant professional IT work experience.
It's the six years part that has me concerened. Am I out of luck, how many years of experience have other people had who have gone through the RPL? Thanks for any help
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also a computer programmer without an IT degree - although my IT degree covered some of the subjects in the RPL application. Does your degree have any IT related subjects in it i.e. Maths, did you use computers at all? From what I understand 3 years experience in IT will not be enough to get you a positive assessment from the ACS unless you can draw upon your degree. Have a look at the RPL application form.

If your degree had some IT in it (20% I think) - you only need 4 years experience in IT to enable you to apply.

It is a pain - I have 8 years working in IT - got a positive assessment from the ACS but because of the date they deemed I had acquired knowledge equivalent of an IT degree - I missed out on the 10 extra points on my VISA application - meaning I would have to wait another year until I had enough points to apply - in which time I would have to do another ACS assessment as it only last 12 months!!

Luckily my boyfriend got offered a job and we are moving out this month!

I am not sure what to suggest although there is the State sponsered VISAs (or something like that) but I know nothing about them! Also if you are under 30 you can get a 12 month working VISA.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I required 8 years for ACS RPL.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:54 am
Just Joined

everytime is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies.
I studied Philosophy at Nottingham and did some IT sub courses in web design. I work at an international IT firm now so maybe I should see if they have any job openings in their offices in OZ...

I might also try to become a member of the British Computer Society as other people have said that has helped.