Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ACS procedure confusion

Wikiposts

ACS procedure confusion

Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:24 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wmoore
Don't wanna hijack . See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...06#post1465006
Ok, sorry, thanks, missed that one, this forum's just too darned busy even when you're not working!

Still it's a useful cross-reference for pau1burt I suppose.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS procedure confusion

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Yes, the BCS route is as much bother as RPL. A better bet (which I may try myself) is going for ACS membership once you're in.
I've just been in touch with the ACS about this very thing. Once they've agreed your RPL for the purposes of migration, when you want to join you fill in the form and put your ACS reference number on it (the one on your RPL ok letter), that way you don't have to even send in the document again.

You can join either when you are in Australia or before you enter, we looked into it and it seems to be cheaper to join just before you enter Oz.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:49 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Salli
I've just been in touch with the ACS about this very thing. Once they've agreed your RPL for the purposes of migration, when you want to join you fill in the form and put your ACS reference number on it (the one on your RPL ok letter), that way you don't have to even send in the document again.
Great! Thanks Salli!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

pau1burt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million to everyone who has posted responses in. I feel about 100 times more knowledgable and more empowered now.

What a brilliant forum! A few days ago I was ready to give up on all of this, but now I'm back on track, which is an amazing feeling.

Thanks everyone for all the information!

Cheers,
Paul

Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad we were able to help Paul.

This really is a fabulous forum...there are so many knowledgeable people here it's possible to find an answer to any question!! I've been picking brains so much!
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:36 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the comments here. You're pretty close to having the right amount of experience for RPL but you really should consult an agent.

I can recommend George Lombard at austimmigration.com.au. Drop him a line I'm sure he'll offer you some advice.

The actual work for the RPL is pretty daunting. I've just sent mine off. As mentioned further up the thread there is a Core Body of Knowledge (CBOK) which forms the basis of your assessment for RPL. What you document goes to prove that you have learned as much through on the job training as you would have done through a computing degree.

You don't have to write an essay on every single CBOK topic, mine submission is based on 8 of the 14 topics.

It took me an evening to write each essay up, each one being approximately 1200-1500 words. To me it wasn't that bad because writing is pretty natural - I find it easy to put things into words on paper. I know other people here have spent months doing it though, and some have taken a week or two off to work solidly on their essays.

I hope that gives you some indication of what the main writing up part is all about. There are a couple of additional reports you need to send, but that covers most of the pain.

I'm happy to help and offer you any advice you need if you've got any questions. Either reply to this or PM me. I'll be on again later tonight (11pm-ish UK time) and again tomorrow.

Cheers

Marko