British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ACS - MCSE and RPL questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/acs-mcse-rpl-questions-106878/)

marc_t Mar 6th 2002 11:15 pm

ACS - MCSE and RPL questions

Hi

I have been going through the ACS site and this forum, but am unclear about a few things.

1. Is an MCSE qualification equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma? Some people say it is and some say it is not. I have an MCSE and 5 years of experience in IT and want to know if I need to complete the RPL or if the MCSE meets the assessment requirements without the RPL.

2. How detailed do the references need to be? Two of the companies I have worked for have closed down and all I have is a simple 'he worked here from x until y doing z'. How will this influence my application?

Thanks

Marc

George Lombard Mar 7th 2002 10:05 am

Re: ACS - MCSE and RPL questions

Hi Marc,

The basic answer to your first question is yes, the full MCSE is equivalent to an
Australian Qualifications Framework diploma in IT for ACS, which assesses you in its
Group B, meaning you also need four years work experience in IT.

The second question is impossible to answer, because it depends on the skills you
have and the work you were doing. For example, work as a "trainee" is next to
useless for ACS.

Cheers

George Lombard

marc_t wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi
    >
    >I have been going through the ACS site and this forum, but am unclear about a
    >few things.
    >
    >1. Is an MCSE qualification equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma? Some people say
    > it is and some say it is not. I have an MCSE and 5 years of experience in IT and
    > want to know if I need to complete the RPL or if the MCSE meets the assessment
    > requirements without the RPL.
    >
    >2. How detailed do the references need to be? Two of the companies I have worked for
    > have closed down and all I have is a simple 'he worked here from x until y doing
    > z'. How will this influence my application?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Marc
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

kango_jack Mar 7th 2002 12:25 pm

Marc

I have just been through the process of having my MSCE qualifications approved by the ACS.
I have over 7 years experience in IT and have a MSCE in NT4 plus other MCP's, but no degree.
I didn't complete the RPL because the MSCE is seen to be equivalent to a basic diploma in Computer studies.
I applied for my skills assessment on the 17th November 01, and didn't receive a reply until End of Jan 02. The ACS classed me as code of 2231-11 (IT Systems Manager) I didn't apply for this code I applied for 2231-79 Computing professional.
Just remember to have all of your documents certified by a solicitor, include your MSCE transcript and certificates. I supplied 3 employer references, which the ACS wrote back to requested clarification on dates and job descriptions.

Good Luck.

Paul

marc_t Mar 7th 2002 1:02 pm

Thanks for your answers

I am happy I don't have to do the RPL!

My references state that I was a Systems Administrator and LAN/WAN administrator, they just don't go into detail about hardware, software and computer languages as stated on the ACS guidelines. I am trying to get hold of old colleagues who can write a letter stating what I did.

Paul - on the ACS application form, what did you put for the questions about your 'Tertiary Qualification'?
1. Full or part time?
2. Normal length of full time course?
3. Time in which it was completed? (Is this from the first exam on your transcript until your MCSE was granted?)

Thanks for your help

Marc

kango_jack Mar 7th 2002 4:47 pm

Hi Marc

These form are not the most straight forward to complete.
I completed the sections in question as follows:
1. Full or part time? part time
2. Normal length of full time course? Left blank
3. Time in which it was completed? First date on my transcript - date MCSE awarded (1 year)

My last reference also stated I was a 'Systems Administrator' even though most of my CV and references pointed towards 'Senior Systems Engineer'.

The employer references which I enclosed were basic - no details on software or hardware. I supplied additional documents from my current employer - Detailed job description and Annual reviews. All letters were on headed paper, signed and copied by a solicitor.

Hope this helps

Paul