British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ACS and I.T. Work Experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/acs-i-t-work-experience-108607/)

GregDa May 29th 2002 7:40 am

ACS and I.T. Work Experience

I have just submitted my application to the ACS, and reading some of the threads, am a little concerned that I'll be rejected.

I have a Computer Science degree.

But I only have just over 3 years I.T. experience.

Does this mean a rejection because I don't have 4 years I.T. experience?

Any experiences anyone?

Any help, please.

Cheers
Greg.

ptlabs May 29th 2002 8:27 am

Re: ACS and I.T. Work Experience

Greg,

With a Computer Science (CS) degree, you should get a positive assessment from ACS, with your 3 years of IT experience.

However, if you hold an Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi CS degree, you may be assessed to hold an equivalent Aussie diploma instead. If that is the case, you will need 4 years of experience in IT to boost it to an equivalent Aussie CS degree.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter

GregDa May 29th 2002 8:33 am

My I.T. Degree is from a UK university - I am British,
so I should get through with my degree and 3 years exp?

ptlabs May 29th 2002 8:47 am

Originally posted by GregDa
My I.T. Degree is from a UK university - I am British,
so I should get through with my degree and 3 years exp?
Greg,

You should be ok.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not being racist when I mentioned that Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani bachelor's degrees are treated as equivalent Aussie diplomas. It has nothing to do with race (and I'm not suggesting that you think otherwise!).

Skills assessing authorities (ACS included) review a candidate's degrees based on the Country Education Profile. Some countries' universities' bachelor's degrees are considered to be of Aussie diploma level, while others are considered on par with an Aussie degree.

A UK IT degree should be on par with an Aussie IT degree.

Cheers,
Peter

Seehion May 30th 2002 9:21 am

I am from Singapore, I got my diploma of IT from local institution (Ngee Ann Poly) in
1989. After that I went to Queensland University of Technology in Queensland for 1
year degree course (Bachelor of Applied Science in Computing).

I have more than 10 years of IT experience from Systems Design to System
Implementation.

May I know my chances of approval from ACS and what group should I apply?
Group A or B.

How should I apply the RPL from ACS? Submit all my certificates(certified), my C.V.
and pay the money, or other way.

Sorry, seem too much information in this group make me confuse, or there is a FAQ for
my easy reference.

Thank you every one.

Ben "ptlabs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Greg,
    >
    > With a Computer Science (CS) degree, you should get a positive assessment from ACS,
    > with your 3 years of IT experience.
    >
    > However, if you hold an Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi CS degree, you may be
    > assessed to hold an equivalent Aussie diploma instead. If that is the case,
    > you will need 4 years of experience in IT to boost it to an equivalent Aussie
    > CS degree.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Cheers, Peter
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Yvonne
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > nick
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > Alan Collett
    >
    > nick
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > Dinesh
    >
    >
    > Doug.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ptlabs May 30th 2002 9:35 am

Originally posted by Seehion
I am from Singapore,
So am I :-)

May I know my chances of approval from ACS and what group should I apply? Group A or B.
Sheeion, you do not apply as Group A or B. ACS decides if you are Group A or B. However, you should decide if you need to go for a skills assessment or a RPL application.

How should I apply the RPL from ACS? Submit all my certificates(certified), my C.V. and pay the money, or other way.
You hold an IT degree from an Australian institution. There is no need for you to do an RPL. You should get a Group A assessment.

Cheers,
Peter

Lana May 30th 2002 5:20 pm

"seehion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am from Singapore, I got my diploma of IT from local institution (Ngee Ann Poly)
    > in 1989. After that I went to Queensland University of Technology in Queensland for
    > 1 year degree course (Bachelor of Applied Science in Computing).
    >
    > I have more than 10 years of IT experience from Systems Design to System
    > Implementation.
    >
    > May I know my chances of approval from ACS and what group should I apply?
    > Group A or B.

I can't advise on chances of approval and I don't know much about group A
qualifications, but if Group A is not an option, with 10 years experience you'd have
no problem with getting a positive Group B assessment.

>
    > How should I apply the RPL from ACS? Submit all my certificates(certified), my C.V.
    > and pay the money, or other way.

You are right. You send them all the certificates, CV, the forms, and credit card
information or a payment order. If you are going Group A, you need descriptions of
each course you took in university and other information like that. If you are going
Group B, you will need work references from all your former employers too.

Lana