British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ACS Assessment - Whether I'll qualify (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/acs-assessment-whether-ill-qualify-108688/)

hsvirk Jun 3rd 2002 4:56 pm

ACS Assessment - Whether I'll qualify

Hi there,

I have more than 4 years of experience as an analyst programmer and have completed a couple of government recognised diplomas with the following contents -

Business Systems
Systems Analysis and Design
Data Structures through C Language
Object Oriented Programming through C++
Computer Graphics
Data Communications and Networking
Database Management Systems
Programming through C
Personal Computer Software
Computer Organization and System Software
Problem Solving through COBOL

Other than this I have an MCSD and BrainBench certification.

What would be my chances to be positively assessed by ACS

Would it be beneficial if I attached a detailed syllabus of the above courses that I studied

Thanks
Tony

Lana Jun 3rd 2002 7:18 pm

Re: ACS Assessment - Whether I'll qualify

I think with all the courses and the 4 years experience and the MCSD, you'll very likely get a positive assessment. I am not an expert, but assuming that the references you get are good and that your RPL form is clearly filled, I see no problem.

hsvirk Jun 4th 2002 1:04 am

Do I need to fill in the RPL form and if so do I pay $400 for RPL other than the $350 for the application form ?

Lana Jun 4th 2002 8:38 pm

Yeah, you fill the RPL form, pay the $400, and provide reference letters and certificates and details of all the courses you took.

The $350 is for people who are getting a university degree assessed, other than experience and certificates.

ptlabs Jun 5th 2002 8:12 am

Originally posted by hsvirk
I have more than 4 years of experience as an analyst programmer and have completed a couple of government recognised diplomas with the following contents -
Other than this I have an MCSD and BrainBench certification.
Would it be beneficial if I attached a detailed syllabus of the above courses that I studied
You did not mention where did you obtain your diplomas. If your diplomas are recognized to be equivalent of an Aussie diploma in IT, you would be place in Group B, and you'll need to use your 4 years of IT work to "upgrade" yourself to get your positive assessment. Having MCSD should also help you into Group B.

You shouldn't need to apply for RPL if your diplomas are recognized to be equivlant to Aussie diplomas. Take a look at your Country's Education Profile to see the relative standing of your qualifications to those from Australia.

It would be extremely beneficial should you choose to submit detailed syllabi to ACS for assessment. Get them certified by your school/college and send them in with your application.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter

MrFlibbleUK Jun 5th 2002 12:09 pm

What diplomas??

HND is assessed as group B
OND is kinda borderline, equivelent to a TAFE Advanced Certificate or 'close to' a TAFE Associate Diploma so its less clear whether its actually group B...
MCSD is group B.

Erm.....yeah....hope this helps