Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ACS Assesment "what are my chances"

ACS Assesment "what are my chances"

Old May 14th 2004, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future
Default ACS Assesment "what are my chances"

Hi guys

Hope some of you may be able to put my mind at easy, after reading the assessment forms and post's on the forum it seems like a bit of a nightmare (ACS assessment).

I have been in the IT industry since 1990, starting of as a junior cobol programmer, working my way up to Hardware / Software support manager (IT System Integrator), Technical Manager (IT System Integrator, and now the Senior Technical Pre / Post sales consultant for a large storage manufacture (NAS/SAN)

I hold a Citrix CCA, Microsoft MCP NT Server, and Compaq ASE Windows, also Btec first diploma and national diploma in computing.

I have never had the need to get the MCSE qualification, partly due to cost and employers not putting you through it, plus there are to many paper MCSE’s to justify this qualification.

What do you think my chances are??

Kind regards

Jon

ps

I just want to get out of the UK, and get back to OZ.
Old May 14th 2004, 10:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Assesment "what are my chances"

I think (but could stand to be corrected) that with the BTEC and your experience you should get in under Group B. It depends if the BTEC is considered equal to an Oz diploma.
If not then there is RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning), which takes age to put together but you certainly have enough experience. RPL is a good experience to make you actually look at what you can do and what you have learned over your career. I've been in and out of IT for 12 years and writing the RPL gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities. I only hope the ACS have the same confidence......
Old May 14th 2004, 11:55 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wmoore
If not then there is RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning), which takes age to put together but you certainly have enough experience. RPL is a good experience to make you actually look at what you can do and what you have learned over your career...
Agreed, doing the RPL is a long and tedious sweat but well worth it.

Bear in mind also that your particular skills may be more in demand in some states than others (seems Oz is rapidly filling up with expat ITers), and that this may affect your points total (it certainly did for me as I needed STNI to get enough points, but then I'm not as young as I was!)

Mark
Old May 17th 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future

Hi There

thanks for the reply, the btec national diploma isnt good enough im told, it has to be a minimum higher national diploma. So I'm going through the process of RPL.

What i would like to see if you or anyone else has an example of what they put on the forms for their employment history etc. I need to pad it out, but would like to know how far if you get my drift.

kind regards

jon
[email protected]

Originally posted by wmoore
I think (but could stand to be corrected) that with the BTEC and your experience you should get in under Group B. It depends if the BTEC is considered equal to an Oz diploma.
If not then there is RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning), which takes age to put together but you certainly have enough experience. RPL is a good experience to make you actually look at what you can do and what you have learned over your career. I've been in and out of IT for 12 years and writing the RPL gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities. I only hope the ACS have the same confidence......
Old May 17th 2004, 3:38 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough

Hello all

I've just had a positive assessment from the ACS with a BTEC Ordinary National Diploma in computer studies, so you may be OK.
It also depends on your work experience - I was able to provide good references covering the last eight or so years, so if you can prove your experience in your nominated job you'll may be able to avoid the RPL.

I can give you copies of my references as examples to work from if you like - let me know.
Old May 17th 2004, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Blueboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Spookey, but i am going through the exact same dilema. I have 9 years experience in IT, for UAT, System Testing, Software Release Management and the last 3 years as a System Test Manager. I have passed the ISEB Foundation certificates for Service Management and Software testing. Will this be enough? Must admit that when you read the criteria it gives you the sinking feeling that i may not be qualified enough, even though i am highly recognised/thought of in my workplace.
How is it best to decide whethr or not to go for the skilled independant or the RPL?
Old May 17th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there

that would be great if you could, and also and other related information that you supplied to the ACS. What line of IT are you in ???

regards

jon

Originally posted by CMR
Hello all

I've just had a positive assessment from the ACS with a BTEC Ordinary National Diploma in computer studies, so you may be OK.
It also depends on your work experience - I was able to provide good references covering the last eight or so years, so if you can prove your experience in your nominated job you'll may be able to avoid the RPL.

I can give you copies of my references as examples to work from if you like - let me know.
Old May 17th 2004, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

My email address is

[email protected]

thanks

jon

Originally posted by Blueboy
Spookey, but i am going through the exact same dilema. I have 9 years experience in IT, for UAT, System Testing, Software Release Management and the last 3 years as a System Test Manager. I have passed the ISEB Foundation certificates for Service Management and Software testing. Will this be enough? Must admit that when you read the criteria it gives you the sinking feeling that i may not be qualified enough, even though i am highly recognised/thought of in my workplace.
How is it best to decide whethr or not to go for the skilled independant or the RPL?
Old May 17th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

My email address is

[email protected]

thanks

jon

Old May 17th 2004, 6:53 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

.....Must admit that when you read the criteria it gives you the sinking feeling that i may not be qualified enough.....
Blueboy, I was the same after reading the requirements. I gritted my teeth and went for it and in the end (after 1 month and about 100 hours effort ) I realised that I DO have worthwhile skills and experience and it has given me a bagful of confidence. If you decide to go for it (and what have you got to lose?) you will amaze yourself like I did I'm sure.
Most of the criteria laid out are jargon. I found a great site to translate this into English (Wikipedia) and it was obvious that I did understand it after all, then I could waffle about it.
Old May 17th 2004, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

hi guys

has anyone got the link to the acs website which lists the skill requirment for Group B

regards

jon
Old May 17th 2004, 8:06 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by jonsm
hi guys

has anyone got the link to the acs website which lists the skill requirment for Group B

regards

jon
ACS Current Guidelines