Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Acreage Brisbane.

Acreage Brisbane.

Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acreage Brisbane.

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Ah yeh, that was another thing that surprised me about living in Oz (been here a year and a half now), the number of dogs and how noisy they are. They used to bother me but I've mostly tuned them out now.

It might be a security thing due to the size of the blocks and how relatively easy it would be to enter a property here. I guess a narky looking cat doesn't cut it to a seasoned hard-nut
The fox terrier next door wouldn't scare a mouse. Apart from him, we don't get any dog noise. We did in suburbia, though. The cicadas will start up next month and they are deafening, seriously.

Jane
p.s. am I right in thinking you're from the North East? I'm from Northumberland and Jim's a Jarra lad. Sorry if I've got the wrong person, which is more than probable
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:18 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Far less peaceful than we envisaged, no chance of bushfire tho, the neighbours all have full sized tennis courts and massive pools, not much left for trees, and yes it is incredibly snobby :scared: especially penelope and her giant cockerel
We only have one neighbour. The other one is half a k up the road and the people opposite haven't built yet. When they do, their house won't be directly opposite and will be down the hill a bit. They're a bit odd but quite nice. They come and mow their nature strip (all 300 sq metres of it ). Its really quite peaceful here, too hilly for ride-ons and only serious tennis nuts would build a court here because of the cost.

I didn't realise your land had a house on it, I thought you were building?

Jane
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
The fox terrier next door wouldn't scare a mouse. Apart from him, we don't get any dog noise. We did in suburbia, though. The cicadas will start up next month and they are deafening, seriously.

Jane
p.s. am I right in thinking you're from the North East? I'm from Northumberland and Jim's a Jarra lad. Sorry if I've got the wrong person, which is more than probable
Ah, the sounds of an Aussie summer, mmmmarvellous

I'm from North Kent, Chatham (so good they named it once) to be exact ... this would explain why my expectations on the quality of life are somewhat different to most.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We only have one neighbour. The other one is half a k up the road and the people opposite haven't built yet. When they do, their house won't be directly opposite and will be down the hill a bit. They're a bit odd but quite nice. They come and mow their nature strip (all 300 sq metres of it ). Its really quite peaceful here, too hilly for ride-ons and only serious tennis nuts would build a court here because of the cost.

I didn't realise your land had a house on it, I thought you were building?

Jane

The first land we found fell over, dead owner was not dead but a Real Estates agents story to cover up a development application next door .

Then we found the acerage, impossible to find vacant land that close in to the coast but this was a family subdivision, kids had got the land free and built a tiny starter home on it, they knew the value of the land so decided to cash up. Were building the much larger house and existing bit will just be a few bedrooms and garage. Were still renting but living there on weekends to get as much done before summer arrives.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:02 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

Weve only had the acerage a couple of months but its very neighbour intense here too. Pity as acerage is are so hard to find in this location, were just minutes from surf beach but close to shops so grabbed it.

however, neighbour one loves to play tennis at 6 am, if its dark they simply put the flood lights on. Plus german shepherd who roams but is not friendly to dogs or kids.

neighbour 2 has 17 chickens and a rooster , first we met of her was her rather large matronly bosom protutruding throught the grevillia hedge announcing one of our dogs was in her chicken house, he had rounded them up and sent them back, she lets them out daily and honestly belives they should wander into our property, and that the dogs should understand this

neighbour 3 seems normal, like us quite a few kids/dogs/ pool etc so you certainly know they are there as they would us.

Ride ons and bikes go constantly really if its not one property its someone else,

Far less peaceful than we envisaged, no chance of bushfire tho, the neighbours all have full sized tennis courts and massive pools, not much left for trees, and yes it is incredibly snobby :scared: especially penelope and her giant cockerel

Thnaks for your reply.

Where abouts are you and how far from the CBD.

It sounds as if you regret getting an acreage or is it just the neighbourhood you are in?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdandi
Thnaks for your reply.

Where abouts are you and how far from the CBD.

It sounds as if you regret getting an acreage or is it just the neighbourhood you are in?
Were about 3 klm from mooloolaba beach, which is on the sunshine coast, one hour from brisbane.

Will never regret buying it acerage that close to the beach is harder to find than a needle in a haystack. Its also a very posh neighbourhood, think that might be why the neighbours are so up themselves

The noise factor is probably nothing more than when people have an outdoors lifestyle you hear them, even on acerage, people buy acerage to have dogs, chooks, kids, pools, tennis courts, bikes, ride on mowers, none of them come without noise.

We found suburbia noisy too, probably the quitest place weve had is the rental house we had near the beach, rental area everyone was at work all day, couple of seconds from a pub you would have thought it would be hell noisy , but worse we ever was the front yard full of beer stubbies on saturday and sunday mornings and of course the hoons revving up like you get anywhere in aus.

I think if you want real peace and quite you need about 20 acres then of course you usually get trail bikes and tractors. Outdoors lifestyle = noise not much you can do really.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:36 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Were about 3 klm from mooloolaba beach, which is on the sunshine coast, one hour from brisbane.

Will never regret buying it acerage that close to the beach is harder to find than a needle in a haystack. Its also a very posh neighbourhood, think that might be why the neighbours are so up themselves

The noise factor is probably nothing more than when people have an outdoors lifestyle you hear them, even on acerage, people buy acerage to have dogs, chooks, kids, pools, tennis courts, bikes, ride on mowers, none of them come without noise.

We found suburbia noisy too, probably the quitest place weve had is the rental house we had near the beach, rental area everyone was at work all day, couple of seconds from a pub you would have thought it would be hell noisy , but worse we ever was the front yard full of beer stubbies on saturday and sunday mornings and of course the hoons revving up like you get anywhere in aus.

I think if you want real peace and quite you need about 20 acres then of course you usually get trail bikes and tractors. Outdoors lifestyle = noise not much you can do really.

I find it's the birds/wildlife that make all the noise. Summer is very loud when you are sleeping with the windows open becuase of the head.

The birds all decide to mate or kill each other at day break!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themerlin
I find it's the birds/wildlife that make all the noise. Summer is very loud when you are sleeping with the windows open becuase of the head.

The birds all decide to mate or kill each other at day break!
Yes kookaburras at 4 am , and cicadas just before dark, right as the dinner time news comes on, then frogs, we have a pond with ducks, I just know we will have frogs and toads but the best one is koalas when they mate they sound like pigs honking and screaming, :scared:
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:21 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Yes kookaburras at 4 am , and cicadas just before dark, right as the dinner time news comes on, then frogs, we have a pond with ducks, I just know we will have frogs and toads but the best one is koalas when they mate they sound like pigs honking and screaming, :scared:
Are you sure that it is the Koala?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vivi
Are you sure that it is the Koala?
We're pretty quiet apart from mowing and chainsawing which I like.

No Hoons - they just don't come down here. Don't think they know we exist. Just my neighbour's son going past twice a day.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdandi
Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise which nice areas in and around Brisbane - not too far from the CBD still have 5 acre lots.

Thanks.
The real crux of this post is - how much money do you have to spend?

That will determine where you can afford to buy acreage.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:41 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We have just over 2 acres in Pine Rivers Shire - takes me 45 mins to work in Eagle Farm including dropping child at school - CBD is about 35-40 mins depending on traffic, but if my work hours were right I'd use the train I reckon. Still about a 40 min ride in but no parking fees
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a perfect acreage (not quite 5 acres, but is nearly 3 acres) very close to CBD Brisbane in a really good neighbourhood:

WARNING: Before you click on the link below, please sit yourself down comfortably, put down your cup of tea or coffee, spit out any food or chewing gum you may have in your mouth...

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ea&fmt=&header=

To the OP, I'm not suggesting that you buy this property but if you do, please let us know - we'll be your best friends! But really, if you're looking for something within an hour's commute to the city, depending on the area, quality/size of the property, the prices can vary from about $600k to several millions.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:27 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Hi, we bought 3.5 acres in Pullenvale and it's about 16km from the centre of Brisbane. Acreage plots are becoming very scare in Pullenvale and the ones that are left are not really usable. They may be 2.5 acres plus, but they are usually on a hillside.

Having water on your acreage is something to consider with the worsening water situation in South East Queensland.

If you want anymore information about Pullenvale, Brookfield, Anstead or other acreage areas in the Western Suburbs the PM me. We can also tell you about the pitfalls to try to avoid when buying acreage and what questions to ask your solicitor and real estate agents.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Here's a perfect acreage (not quite 5 acres, but is nearly 3 acres) very close to CBD Brisbane in a really good neighbourhood:

WARNING: Before you click on the link below, please sit yourself down comfortably, put down your cup of tea or coffee, spit out any food or chewing gum you may have in your mouth...

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ea&fmt=&header=

To the OP, I'm not suggesting that you buy this property but if you do, please let us know - we'll be your best friends! But really, if you're looking for something within an hour's commute to the city, depending on the area, quality/size of the property, the prices can vary from about $600k to several millions.

Mrs JTL
Jeezzzzussssss! What a ghastly house Land and proximity to city look fab but YUK! The pool looks a bit small for the size of house as well. It just looks totally unliveable in (excuse grammar!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.