Accounting/Finance Jobs in Australia

Accounting/Finance Jobs in Australia

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

peterly172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Accounting/Finance Jobs in Australia

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum

I'm Peter. I'm 22 years old, live in London, I've just finished my Financial Management degree with a 2:1 (Upper Second Honours), now I'm looking to work.

Because it is really hard to find a job in London and I'm really eager to work abroad, I really want to work in Australia.

Does anyone know where to start looking? I don't mind doing a graduate programme then move to a finance job. I've done quite a lot of research about it. I'm thinking of visiting the Overseas Expo in November to get more information. I would love to work in either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter.

Last edited by peterly172; Sep 23rd 2012 at 7:19 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting/Finance Jobs in Australia

Do you have a visa? Or citizenship? The answers will vary depending on tat critical information.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

peterly172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah none of that yet, as I've recently planned this. That's why I'm here. A bit of a silly question, do I find a job in Australia first and then apply for the visa? Or do I apply for a visa first then start searching?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:17 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

maybe try the working holiday visa first. sometimes there are openings for working holidaymakers. however they often require experience.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterly172
Nah none of that yet, as I've recently planned this. That's why I'm here. A bit of a silly question, do I find a job in Australia first and then apply for the visa? Or do I apply for a visa first then start searching?
In this case, I think your chances of finding an employer who would be willing to recruit a trainee in finance /accounting that needs sponsoring are really quite remote. In fact, sponsorship typically requires experienced candidates. There really are no shortages of local candidates though and I would not even sponsor an experienced finance / accounting candidate myself.

There is the WHV option of course, but it will be difficult to find a graduate type role on it as you can only work for the same employer for six months at a time. It could well be a great experience of course, you could really test Australia out, but expect that you will need to leave at the end of it without having made any career progress.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Starac is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you read accounting books from Wiley? I suggest you if you didn't
Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:50 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

wiley?

are IFRSs used in the UK these days? or still UK GAAP?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

Hi

Your best option would be to get a working holiday visa and come across although as BermudaShorts has mentioned u can only work for one employer 6 monthst a time.
I disagree that this is a remote option for you as I have previously employed an Irish CA who was on his WHV and he was great. He also managed to do 2 x 6 months stints for me through WHV as he'd done some regional work at a coral farm in WA and that enable him to continue another 6 months (not sure if this still applies in OZ or what the requirements are). After that he then managed to get 457 visa sponsorship though his recruitment agency.
However saying all this, the economy has changed a lot here in the past 4 years and not as buoyant as it was back then but if u are willing to be flexible and not restrictive in where you look for work you will probably find something that will fit the bill. Bear also in mind that it is unlikely you will be able to get a job lined up before you arrive.

You could also call some of the major accountancy recruiting agencies (robert walters, hudson, robert hslf, michael page) in the main cities & have a chat with them about likelihood of getting work at your level whilst on a WHV. Up until now the best chance of work has been in perth & WA due to the mining boom (although now slowing down). I personally would avoid tasmania & Victoria (higher unemployment just now than other states).

IMO, given your age, you have nothing to loose and provided you have some funds to last you a couple of months till you find work then you should be fine.
I left the uk when I was 26 and took the approach that if things didn't work out I could just jump on a plane and go back home. 14.5 years later and i still haven't gone back !!
You've got to live for now but you will need to be persistent & determined when looking for work. Your chances might also be better if you try and get a couple of years experience in the uk first before moving overseas.
Good luck

Last edited by Dumbledore; Sep 25th 2012 at 1:51 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Hi

I disagree that this is a remote option for you as I have previously employed an Irish CA who was on his WHV and he was great.

You could also call some of the major accountancy recruiting agencies (robert walters, hudson, robert hslf, michael page) in the main cities & have a chat with them about likelihood of getting work at your level whilst on a WHV. Up until now the best chance of work has been in perth & WA due to the mining boom (although now slowing down). I personally would avoid tasmania & Victoria (higher unemployment just now than other states).
There is a world of difference between a CA and a new graduate isn't there? So not quite sure what you are disagreeing with?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Cardamon is an unknown quantity at this point

CPA/CA qualification is quite essential here when looking for an accounting or finance position. If you have a recent degree, it is easy to sign up for at least for CPA studies and those can also be done abroad. Takes a couple of years but well worth it if you are serious about it.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
Daffyd Duck

if he can do CA in the UK why not do it there (via ICAEW), it's recognised both in the UK and Aus. i dont think Aus CPA is as widely recognised in the UK, in case he wants to return in future.