Reload this Page >

accountants, the modl, and visa applications

accountants, the modl, and visa applications

Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

swimmingsaintee will become famous soon enough
Smile accountants, the modl, and visa applications

ANY HELP ON THIS APPRECIATED

1. There are 3 accountants jobs on the sol/modl. If you have your skills assessed for one, say accountant can you then apply for your visa as a say finance manager or do you have to apply for the same job no. as you've been assessed? Jeremy if your reading this I'm sure that you've answered this question to someone before but can I find - of course not.

2. If you have to apply for the same one does anyone know which is best?

3. When do you send off police checks and medicals? Should you wait until they're requested? Or have them done and sent with your visa application?

thanks folks
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:03 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: accountants, the modl, and visa applications

Originally Posted by swimmingsaintee
3. When do you send off police checks and medicals? Should you wait until they're requested? Or have them done and sent with your visa application?

thanks folks
The date of your medicals and police checks affects your validation date. In short, once you've got your visa, you must enter Australia within 12 months from the date of the medicals or the police checks, whichever is the earlier. (Some people only get 6 months from DIMIA instead of 12 months; usually due to medical problems.)

Gina
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

ANY HELP ON THIS APPRECIATED

1. There are 3 accountants jobs on the sol/modl. If you have your skills assessed for one, say accountant can you then apply for your visa as a say finance manager or do you have to apply for the same job no. as you've been assessed? Jeremy if your reading this I'm sure that you've answered this question to someone before but can I find - of course not.

2. If you have to apply for the same one does anyone know which is best?

thanks folks

1. If you want the MODL points you must be assessed as an Accountant, 2211-11. Nothing else will do. Read the Skilled Migration Booklet carefully to see what DIMIA say about work experience and which occupation it needs to be in.

2. Criteria for skill assessment are the same for all CPAA/ICAA/NIA assessed occupations. However criteria vary slightly between the three, choose the one which suits best.

3. Normally it's best to wait. Unless you've lived in a country where getting a police check will take ages, if so start that process immediately.

Jeremy
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks folks.
Jeremy I've read the booklet and from what I can gather this is how it goes.
you nominate an occupation which fits your skills. Then if that's a 60 point occupation you provide evidence that you've been in any sol occupation for 12 of previous 18 months. To get points you must then ( if it's a 60 point occupation) provide evidence that you've been in the nominated occupation for 3 of previous 4 years (10 points) and finally you get 15 points for being on the modl.
Whew! so far so good.However I can't find a definition of accountant anywhere. My husband is one but his current role is as senior financial controller. Previously been in corporate finance and prior to that audit. So does his financial controller role still count as being an accountant?

Also the form mentions providing employment references. There's just no way his emplyers could be approached. Do you know Jeremy if a statutory declaration outlining his main tasks and duties and narrating his experience accompanied by evidence of employment(eg wage slips) is acceptable evidence of work experience?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Thanks folks.
Jeremy I've read the booklet and from what I can gather this is how it goes.
you nominate an occupation which fits your skills. Then if that's a 60 point occupation you provide evidence that you've been in any sol occupation for 12 of previous 18 months. To get points you must then ( if it's a 60 point occupation) provide evidence that you've been in the nominated occupation for 3 of previous 4 years (10 points) and finally you get 15 points for being on the modl.
Whew! so far so good.However I can't find a definition of accountant anywhere. My husband is one but his current role is as senior financial controller. Previously been in corporate finance and prior to that audit. So does his financial controller role still count as being an accountant?

Also the form mentions providing employment references. There's just no way his emplyers could be approached. Do you know Jeremy if a statutory declaration outlining his main tasks and duties and narrating his experience accompanied by evidence of employment(eg wage slips) is acceptable evidence of work experience?
Although our visa isn't through yet, my last position before applying was as a Group Financial Controller, and I have applied using 2211-11 Accountant. My agent said that it was pretty much a given that a GFC had to be an accountant and it was only a job title as apposed to job description, which went into details surrounding the role, which included accounting duties.

As an aside, we did not front load our Meds/PCC's for the reason stated above, we have house to sell, so need time to get things in order bewteen visa grant and first entry date.

Good luck with your application.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Although our visa isn't through yet, my last position before applying was as a Group Financial Controller, and I have applied using 2211-11 Accountant. My agent said that it was pretty much a given that a GFC had to be an accountant and it was only a job title as apposed to job description, which went into details surrounding the role, which included accounting duties.

As an aside, we did not front load our Meds/PCC's for the reason stated above, we have house to sell, so need time to get things in order bewteen visa grant and first entry date.

Good luck with your application.
Thanks sonictigger.
Did you provide employers references with your application?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Thanks sonictigger.
Did you provide employers references with your application?
I was lucky enough to be able to tell them as I was on Maternity leave at the time and was very friendly with my bosses. I have since taken redundancy from them (yippee £££), but my new employers don't know yet....feel a bit of a fraud as I'm hoping to leave in Feb 06.

Try saying you are just looking at various options and a reference would enable a clearer picture from an agent. If they do say anything about leaving, say that the process takes a minumum of 2 years....they are not to know, plus depending on your circumstances, you don't always have to move straight over.

I'm sure you need a detailed job reference, don't think a statement will do.

Hope this helps you.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that - unfortunately there's just no way we can approach employers. If they thought he was even considering going then end of career there. I'm sure this must have cropped up before. Any ideas anybody?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for that - unfortunately there's just no way we can approach employers. If they thought he was even considering going then end of career there. I'm sure this must have cropped up before. Any ideas anybody?
At the last count, I'm sure you can not sack someone for thinking about leaving

Another option I've seen, it lying and saying it's for a mortgage application etc.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

At the last count, I'm sure you can not sack someone for thinking about leaving

Another option I've seen, it lying and saying it's for a mortgage application etc.
As an upstanding lawyer I cannot countanance lying ( oh really - hey if it gets me to Aus I'm in!!)

Seriously though his employers are not daft. No they can't sack him but he definitely wont be promoted any further. Which is important to him as he hasn't decided finally if he's actually going to go.
So I guess we'll just have to try stat decs - I really think that someone else must have encountered this problem before or are my husband's employers the only unreasonable ones in the UK?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

As an upstanding lawyer I cannot countanance lying ( oh really - hey if it gets me to Aus I'm in!!)

Seriously though his employers are not daft. No they can't sack him but he definitely wont be promoted any further. Which is important to him as he hasn't decided finally if he's actually going to go.
So I guess we'll just have to try stat decs - I really think that someone else must have encountered this problem before or are my husband's employers the only unreasonable ones in the UK?
Try posting your question on the Immigration forum, or do a search on Employers Reference....good luck

As for a Lawyer & Accountant in one house..... :scared:
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Try posting your question on the Immigration forum, or do a search on Employers Reference....good luck

As for a Lawyer & Accountant in one house..... :scared:
yep our house is really exciting!
Have posted question on the immigration forum. Thanks for the tip and good luck with the move.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Get professional advice (and choose an agent who's experienced in this area - not all are) and be prepared for a difficult time as he or she may well advise you that DIMIA will simply not accept statutory declarations as employment evidence without a lot of other corroborating evidence.

If your migration plans don't materialise, and your husband's employer doesn't "forgive" him then he may well need to be prepared to seek employment elsewhere in the UK in due course.

Jeremy
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:01 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

1. Re: Definition of accountant: DIMIA use their own definitions for each job listed on the MODL and SOL. They are referred to as ASCO codes and there is a website that has the descriptions. I can't find the url right now, but if you pm me your email address I can email you the page for ASCO code 2111-11 (i.e. accountant).

2. Employer's reference: As sonictigger and Jeremy have already said, DIMIA expect to see an employer's reference. They're thinking along the lines of why would you worry what your employer thinks if you're leaving anyway to emigrate. You can see their point, can't you?

BUT, the employer's reference doesn't *have* to come from your husband's boss. My husband asked an HR person to sign it. Someone else here on the forum asked a colleague to sign his.

Gina
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get professional advice (and choose an agent who's experienced in this area - not all are) and be prepared for a difficult time as he or she may well advise you that DIMIA will simply not accept statutory declarations as employment evidence without a lot of other corroborating evidence.

If your migration plans don't materialise, and your husband's employer doesn't "forgive" him then he may well need to be prepared to seek employment elsewhere in the UK in due course.

Jeremy
Jeremy thanks. How I do find an agent with specific experience in this area?
Are you allowed to recommend anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.