Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accommodation when first arriving

Accommodation when first arriving

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Accommodation when first arriving

We are hoping to move to Oz within the next 6 months. It will apparently take our "stuff" as a part load, 3 months to reach WA. So obviously we will have to work out our accommodation:

Do we rent fully furnished? If we do, are the contracts 6 months and will we have to leave our stuff in storage for the other 3 months? Can we rent a furnished place big enough to store our things for 3 months? It goes without saying we are limited to what we can take on the plane, but can we do without everything that goes with the removals for 6 months, including our necessary computer??

Has anybody got any advice or experience that they could share with us please! Would be most grateful!

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 9:40 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Accommodation when first arriving

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
We are hoping to move to Oz within the next 6 months. It will apparently take our "stuff" as a part load, 3 months to reach WA. So obviously we will have to work out our accommodation:

Do we rent fully furnished? If we do, are the contracts 6 months and will we have to leave our stuff in storage for the other 3 months? Can we rent a furnished place big enough to store our things for 3 months? It goes without saying we are limited to what we can take on the plane, but can we do without everything that goes with the removals for 6 months, including our necessary computer??

Has anybody got any advice or experience that they could share with us please! Would be most grateful!

You might want to try some of these for WA:

http://www.sunsetcoastre.com.au/Prop...opertyTypeID=2

http://www.marketplacerealty.com.au/forrent.shtml

http://www.proproperty.com.au/search.asp?st=fr

http://www.raywhite.net/scripts/renL...tRegnRefresh=1

Steve.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

we plan to go into a holiday villa for a week and have a rental property available straight away. I belive most places to rent are unfurnished, so we use the first week to buy beds etc. As far as waiting for the removasls, we will make sure we rent somewhere with a garage so we can store our stuff from the UK. After 6 months or so we hope to have bought something.

Does anybody know the supply of furnished v unfurnished rental property? Also, what is the rough percentage rental difference between furnished and unfurnished - extra 30%+?

Steve
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
If anyone is interested in furnished accomodation when they arrive we may be able to help, we also offer a free airport pick up and free use of a car for the first week ( subject to availiability) we Have a house in mandurah and one in Port kennedy and they are equipted with all you could need including the champaine on arrival.
We are having stress with the web site below but if anyone would like more info or pics etc please feel free to email me on
[email protected]
Paula
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

You'll need to be in Perth for the 1st week or so to sort out all the nitty gritty. Motels/hotels are OK for a week.

Furnished accom is dearer, think in terms of $500 a week for short periods. Unfurnished is around $200-$250 but you get to choose any suburb. They are almost all for 6 months, you have to pay a bond upfront, & stamp duty on top in most cases. There are expenses at the end such as steam cleaning of carpets.

Send your PC on separately if you can't live without it. You need a forwarding address & phone no.

If you're thinking of storing your stuff in a garage at a rental, make sure it's all insured & secured. Burglary rate in Perth is high.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:24 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil

Try caravan parks they are equiped with all you need , as for rentals there are 6000 on the market in Perth right now its easy to rent and getting cheaper by the week.
Think what you need and rent the electricals etc is not problrm Australia lives off immo's.

http://www.streetsofperth.com.au/dir...on/caravan.htm

http://www.holidayoz.com.au/wacp.htm

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost everything rental is unfurnished. Furnished rentals are pricey and then you have nowhere for your stuff when it arrives...

You can rent a holiday apartment (furnished) for a couple of weeks then move into an unfurnished place with separately rented furniture. Easiest and cheapest option.

Try www.holidayaccommodationaus.com.au

Many furniture rental places about. They can rent you beds, sofas, fridges, washing machines etc for a month or two until your stuff arrives. All delivered in one load so straightforward. Take your own bedding, towels and basic kitchen equipment by air freight or in your baggage allowance as these are expensive to rent (they wear out quickly). Check prices at IKEA - actually cheaper to buy an inexpensive sofa or table than rent one - you can always sell it later. Microwaves, vaccuum cleaners are cheap to buy and you'll probably want a new tv & video anyway.

Getting out of leases when you find something to buy is relatively straightforward. If you give notice you will have to pay advertising costs and the rent until they find someone. But they have a legal duty to mitigate your loss so they have to try to let it, not just charge you indefinitely.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:39 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
Thats because I got ripped off for £400 deposit by Pelican Pals. !!

Booked with them but due to unforseen circumstances had to cancel four weeks prior to arrival.

Would not mind but I built website for free, so would have expected somthing back.

Thats why website is now closed. Strongly sugest you book elsewhere. Try www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/accomodation.php

West Perth Apartments highly reccomended.
Looks like the Pals have become Aussies in true fashion never give a sucker an even break and immo's are the food chain.

Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:06 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

To anyone looking to pelican Pals for accommodation,we couldn't recommend them highly enough.The house we are in is fully furnished-and I mean fully furnished-you won't need anything else whilst you stay.You are treated as friends,not as suckers off the boat with money to burn.
Those of you who know Paula and her family will agree I'm sure.

BB-not on commission

Last edited by baldbutts; Aug 5th 2003 at 3:06 am.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

We have decided to B & B it for the first 2 weeks while we look for a rental place which we will be doing getting them lined up before we get there.

we will also tie in the shipping so we receive it when we get a rental. so going for unfurnished.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

You entered a contract to secure the accommodation,and pulled out of that contract.In any other deal in life ,you lose that deposit.Are you getting back the deposit you've lost on flights ?If not,are you slagging them off too,and telling people never to use them.
With all due respect Mr Bald Butts you also only have one side of the story, there is a lot more to it.

Yes we did get back the deposit for flights. £400 for a website, I never asked for that, (I said I expected somthing) however a lot of time and effort went into building & hosting the site, it exceeded bandwidth on a number of occasions (which I paid for), I hosted it on my server and paid for the domain name.

I am not bitter over immigration process done it before, house selling buying is always stressful.

Did I not reccommend Pelican Pals to you?

I do not want to get into any arguments over this, I have said my piece and thats it. Good luck to Paula and Pelican Pals with reccomendations like yours they will do well.

(I removed my previous post).

Last edited by karawara88; Aug 4th 2003 at 3:34 pm.