Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Melbourne in September?

Accommodation in Melbourne in September?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Accommodation in Melbourne in September?

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Melbourne in September.
We are staying in Sydney with family for a week or so first and plan on flying down to Melbourne for about 8-10 days around the last week in September for a good look around to see where we will be moving to. It won't be much time I know to have a proper look but thats all we can do at the moment.

Our original plan was to move to melbourne when we got our visa (which hopefully should arrive any day now) but we are going to leave it till next year now (work reasons) so we are planning on validating our 175 visa in September (police checks will expire in November).
I wish we could have had more time in Melbourne but we will make the best of it.

Should we try to stay in or near the city centre (wife will be working in CBD more than likely) or use one of the suburbs as a base. We are leaning towards settling around the south east area but of course won't know till we see it.

We still might decide to spend more time in Melbourne than the 8-10 days and shorten our time in Sydney. We will have 18 days altogether.
We will be staying in Penrith near Sydney by the way does anyone know it. The wife has been before and she said it is red neck country with mullets and checked shirts galore. So if thats the case I have no problem at all with spending more time in Melbourne.

So if anyone knows a good hotel or B+B or anything that would suit a young couple with a 18 month old girl let me know. I have heard that the campsites in the area have good facilities (Not like our campsites here in Ireland- see Father Ted!!!!! Yes they are really like that!!!) but am not so sure if the other half would go for that with our little one. Is September an expensive time to book in Melbourne?

One last quick question we have been looking at flights from Sydney to Melbourne with virgin blue and jetstar and prices seem ok. Will the prices go up much if we leave it till August to book it (or even wait till we get there) or should we book now and as early as possible and are there any other airlines that fly this route.

Thanks for your time guys.

Last edited by soulrebel; Jun 3rd 2008 at 9:33 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accommodation in Melbourne in September?

Originally Posted by movin2melbourne
Hi
Congratulations on the big move to Oz.
Have a look at our website, we do have vacancies for September and are handy for all SE Suburbs.
In regards to the flights, keep checking the websites as they often have specials. I am not sure if Tiger Airways are doing flights from Sydney to Melbourne but they are very reasonable.
Thanks for that. Just having a look now.
Will have a look at Tiger aswell.
Whats the weather like end of September?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Treat yourself and stay somewhere central. You are unlikely to find an affordable family home somewhere central when you are over permanently....

As for the flights, well there are plentiful flights SYD to MEL so you wouldn't have a problem getting one once in Aus. If you've got a few days though why not consider driving? Direct you can just about do it in a day (door to door only stopping for driver breaks) but if you have say 2 or 3 days it's a beautiful driver down the NSW coast and up the Bay. There are plenty of towns with reasonable and cheap acommodation along the way.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCoight
Treat yourself and stay somewhere central. You are unlikely to find an affordable family home somewhere central when you are over permanently....

As for the flights, well there are plentiful flights SYD to MEL so you wouldn't have a problem getting one once in Aus. If you've got a few days though why not consider driving? Direct you can just about do it in a day (door to door only stopping for driver breaks) but if you have say 2 or 3 days it's a beautiful driver down the NSW coast and up the Bay. There are plenty of towns with reasonable and cheap acommodation along the way.
Thanks I would love to drive down but the wife is the boss and she laughed when I mentioned it. I suppose we don't have that much time really.
Will think about and have a look for somewhere central. Thanks for the advice.
Can't wait!!!
BTW whats the weather like in September?

Last edited by soulrebel; Jun 6th 2008 at 6:32 am.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

You seem keen to know the weather in Melbourne's like in September?

I'd say it's a bit like April in the UK - it can be beautiful, it can pour it down, it can be cold (especially at nights), it can be tshirt wearing weather - Melbourne's never predictable.

Carolyn
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Accommodation in Melbourne in September?

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Melbourne in September.
We are staying in Sydney with family for a week or so first and plan on flying down to Melbourne for about 8-10 days around the last week in September for a good look around to see where we will be moving to. It won't be much time I know to have a proper look but thats all we can do at the moment.

Our original plan was to move to melbourne when we got our visa (which hopefully should arrive any day now) but we are going to leave it till next year now (work reasons) so we are planning on validating our 175 visa in September (police checks will expire in November).
I wish we could have had more time in Melbourne but we will make the best of it.

Should we try to stay in or near the city centre (wife will be working in CBD more than likely) or use one of the suburbs as a base. We are leaning towards settling around the south east area but of course won't know till we see it.

We still might decide to spend more time in Melbourne than the 8-10 days and shorten our time in Sydney. We will have 18 days altogether.
We will be staying in Penrith near Sydney by the way does anyone know it. The wife has been before and she said it is red neck country with mullets and checked shirts galore. So if thats the case I have no problem at all with spending more time in Melbourne.

So if anyone knows a good hotel or B+B or anything that would suit a young couple with a 18 month old girl let me know. I have heard that the campsites in the area have good facilities (Not like our campsites here in Ireland- see Father Ted!!!!! Yes they are really like that!!!) but am not so sure if the other half would go for that with our little one. Is September an expensive time to book in Melbourne?

One last quick question we have been looking at flights from Sydney to Melbourne with virgin blue and jetstar and prices seem ok. Will the prices go up much if we leave it till August to book it (or even wait till we get there) or should we book now and as early as possible and are there any other airlines that fly this route.

Thanks for your time guys.

The Big4 campsites are pretty good. We stayed at the Frankston one on our reccie with 2 18-month olds. There's some photos on our reccie thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388 .

Buzzy
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The Big4 campsites are pretty good. We stayed at the Frankston one on our reccie with 2 18-month olds. There's some photos on our reccie thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388 .

Buzzy
Thanks for that Buzzy
Just been reading your reccie report. Will check out some of your excursions too!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that Buzzy
Just been reading your reccie report. Will check out some of your excursions too!
We stayed at Big 4 in Frankston and its great as a basic base but cold and basic. I can recommend Gleneagles in Mornington (stayz website) which we have just left after staying there as a base for 4+weeks. Cheaper than big 4 had three bedrooms and fully kitted out for total comfort, can highly recommend it

Cheryl
Old Jun 13th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
We stayed at Big 4 in Frankston and its great as a basic base but cold and basic. I can recommend Gleneagles in Mornington (stayz website) which we have just left after staying there as a base for 4+weeks. Cheaper than big 4 had three bedrooms and fully kitted out for total comfort, can highly recommend it

Cheryl
Thanks for that Cheryl. Better get my skates on and book something quick. Just realised that the AFL final is on that week. Most hotels will be out of the question now as they are either booked since last year or very, very expensive!!!!!
I quite liked the BIG4 place. And still having a look at flips place and movin2melbournes place.

BTW is there absolutely no chance of getting tickets to the AFL final?
Im sure they are soldout????
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip

I'd say it's a bit like April in the UK - it can be beautiful, it can pour it down, it can be cold (especially at nights), it can be tshirt wearing weather - Melbourne's never predictable.

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn
Have pm'd you.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn

Have pm'd you.

Oops! Double post sorry. My PC is a bit slow here. Clicked on refresh.....
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks Carolyn

Have pm'd you.

Oops! Double post sorry. My PC is a bit slow here. Clicked on refresh.....
Hi - haven't received a message yet - when did you send it?

Hope I can help.

Carolyn
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi - haven't received a message yet - when did you send it?

Hope I can help.

Carolyn
Sent you a pm there Carolyn.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we holidayed in and around Melbourne last October (before we moved to Oz) and I will warn you the weather can be very changeable so pack a variety of clothes - one day it went from 32C to 4C (Crowded House springs to mind.)

How about serviced apartments? Good with a toddler, I would say. We had a few days in the Quest on Bourke St, pretty functional but perfectly acceptable and conveniently located for shopping but I've heard the one in Docklands (I think it's called) is nice. They have basic cooking facilities, washer and dryer, and more space than a hotel room. Have a look on their website.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
How about serviced apartments? Good with a toddler, I would say. We had a few days in the Quest on Bourke St, pretty functional but perfectly acceptable and conveniently located for shopping but I've heard the one in Docklands (I think it's called) is nice. They have basic cooking facilities, washer and dryer, and more space than a hotel room. Have a look on their website.
Thanks seasider, just had a look at these and look good. Anyone heard of Punt Hill in Flinders lane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.