Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accom Options Between House Sale & Leaving?

Accom Options Between House Sale & Leaving?

Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Munchmel will become famous soon enough
Default Accom Options Between House Sale & Leaving?

Hi, we have had to agree an early completion date with our buyers to secure the sale at the price we wanted, but it is 18th june, our flights are booked for 18th August, to enable kids to finish school term & have their birthdays in uk (beg Aug). OH job start in Oz end of August, and we couldn't afford to be without wages too long!

BUT haveing 4 kids, no furniture (as we will ship it when we move out in June) it is proving impossible to find reasonably priced accom to see us through to August! Holiday lets are extortionate, we can't find any furnished short lets...all min 6 months......maybe we'll have to Alan Partridge it at a travel lodge.. What have others done? Neither completion date of flights can be changed...
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:10 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Accom Options Between House Sale & Leaving?

Originally Posted by Munchmel
Hi, we have had to agree an early completion date with our buyers to secure the sale at the price we wanted, but it is 18th june, our flights are booked for 18th August, to enable kids to finish school term & have their birthdays in uk (beg Aug). OH job start in Oz end of August, and we couldn't afford to be without wages too long!

BUT haveing 4 kids, no furniture (as we will ship it when we move out in June) it is proving impossible to find reasonably priced accom to see us through to August! Holiday lets are extortionate, we can't find any furnished short lets...all min 6 months......maybe we'll have to Alan Partridge it at a travel lodge.. What have others done? Neither completion date of flights can be changed...
We stayed with family for a month, not easy though and we only have one kid! Maybe you should camp, it's cheaper at least
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:39 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried some local B&B's, if you explain that all 6 of you will be staying they might give you some discount as it is for a whole month.

good luck
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Static caravan on friends/family land? with use of washing facilities etc?? Don't think they cost much and you can sell it afterwards..
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:46 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

My advice is DONT stay with friends or family, always turns out to be a total nightmare!! We stayed with family before we left, which started fine and went very pear shaped and then friends this end and again same thing happend only worse, I would 100% advise to pay to stay somewhere!!

I have spoken to sooooo many people who say the same thing!!! SO it isnt that we are a strange family at all!!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
My advice is DONT stay with friends or family, always turns out to be a total nightmare!! We stayed with family before we left, which started fine and went very pear shaped and then friends this end and again same thing happend only worse, I would 100% advise to pay to stay somewhere!!

I have spoken to sooooo many people who say the same thing!!! SO it isnt that we are a strange family at all!!
We've been very lucky - we sold in December and our living in Married Quarters until we leave in August.

I have nooo clue what we would have done if we had to try to move in with family! Our stuff is being shipped at the beginning of August and we are moving into house with friends for a week or so before we go.

We are also planning to do the trip around Uk to say bye to all! This is going to take u a good couple of weeks - you could try that - 1 or 2 nights with different friends and family all around country???

Just a thought

Angie
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I am hoping that we can time it right to sell our house and fly out pretty quickly. We should be able to stay with the inlaws before we leave but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that unless it is very short term. I think I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Have you got any family or friends that would be able to help out? If not you may be able to negotiate a discount with a hotel or B&B as there are 6 of you and its for 2 months.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What about a serviced apartment or two - 1 for you guys, one for the kids? Im sure that there'd be a discount for hiring 2 of them for several months.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I am hoping that we can time it right to sell our house and fly out pretty quickly. We should be able to stay with the inlaws before we leave but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that unless it is very short term. I think I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Have you got any family or friends that would be able to help out? If not you may be able to negotiate a discount with a hotel or B&B as there are 6 of you and its for 2 months.

Good luck.
Move in with family, you will save sh1t loads of cash. In our case we sent our stuff, completed on 30th november and have been at my mums for nearly 4 months. She has got to see more of the kids before they go too.
Grit your teeth, bite your tongue and save the cash for trips before you go e.g. we've just been to venice for 4 days, taken the kids loads of places we can't usually afford like bowling, laser quest, etc. etc.

Andy
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:21 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

my advice fwiw, is to avoid the staying with close friends/family. not really because of the arguments, but because it makes you even closer to them jsut before you leave. we stayed between my parents house and the in laws, now normally i will talk to my mum most days but will only see her every 3-4 weeks, same with inlaws.

all of a sudden we lived with them for 3 months, the kids got used to having them around ALL the time and when we left it made things really hard. too hard. we came back.

the relationship i thought i had with them was superficial, it was based on the last few months here and not long after being back i realised that what i had missed didn't actually exist.

never mind, returning now so will not make that mistake again.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Munchmel will become famous soon enough

thanks for replies everyone....have found travel lodge to be cheapest....£50 per night for 2 family rooms (usually double that) thats still quids in on self catering hol accom min £559/week....I'm already about to murder my mother...so staying with her will probably mean it'll be a done deal...and we'll need to leave the country very quickly with police hot on our tail... am looking into penalty for changes to ticket bookings....will prob be a damn site cheaper to just bog off, forget end of term & b/days...just have a massive leaving party day before completion on house...then go, go go....
Old Mar 8th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know its a long shot but do you have a caravan park near you? Not ideal I know but it might be cheaper than a hotel and the kids will think they are on holiday

Mandy
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

We lived in our touring caravan for 8 weeks in Oct/Nov It had everything we needed, apart from room! and on the weekends, half-term etc we would up sticks and take our 'home' to different parts of the country to show the kids all the history and culture that we were leaving behind
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:02 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

......maybe we'll have to Alan Partridge it at a travel lodge...
We did that, after a fashion. We stayed a couple of days with either set of parents then threw some bags in the car and drove until we felt like stopping. We did a big tour of South/ Mid Wales and the South West and another around North Yorkshire. We also called in on friends across the country. Then it was back to parents' houses to do some washing and then on again. It was a great way to spend the last month or so.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:45 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We only had 10 days between selling our house and flying, but we stayed in a holiday let, luckily it was out of season, so only cost us £70. It was heaven to have furniture again, ours had been gone for about a week before we finally moved out!!

Hope this helps.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.