Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Access to Australian Universities

Access to Australian Universities

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:28 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Access to Australian Universities

Can anyone tell me if the system for access to Australian universities (assuming citizenship), is the same as the UK?

i.e. you can - assuming that you have the necessary high school qualifications - go to any of the universities even if they are not in your state of residence?

Or does there exist some kind of state subsidy which makes attending any of the other universities in the country financially prohibitive?

Apologies in advance if I have to bump this up later as I've just realised that most of the people who may be able to answer this will have gone to bed!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Access to Australian Universities

As I understand it, you can apply to any university you like but I think you apply via that State's organisation. Like, here we have UCAS that covers the whole country, there they have a mini UCAS for each State. I believe the fees charged (for permanent residents and Australian citizens) are determined nationally so shouldn't change according to the State. Would be interested in any info on this though as we are going through this process soon.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:49 pm

bumped....!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK
Can anyone tell me if the system for access to Australian universities (assuming citizenship), is the same as the UK?

i.e. you can - assuming that you have the necessary high school qualifications - go to any of the universities even if they are not in your state of residence?

Or does there exist some kind of state subsidy which makes attending any of the other universities in the country financially prohibitive?

Apologies in advance if I have to bump this up later as I've just realised that most of the people who may be able to answer this will have gone to bed!
The universities setup the system to give residents of the state slightly better access skewing the access conditions towards that states high school testing system. As uni fees are higher and longer established here more students study whilst living at home so tend to goto a nearby uni. There is nothing stopping someone studying interstate.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The universities setup the system to give residents of the state slightly better access skewing the access conditions towards that states high school testing system. As uni fees are higher and longer established here more students study whilst living at home so tend to goto a nearby uni. There is nothing stopping someone studying interstate.
And Australian citizens get access to fee-assistance/discount schemes that are closed to PRs (although PRs still pay just domestic fees - not international ones).

A good reason for older teenagers to pursue citizenship even if parents can't be bothered - Australia allows 16-17 year olds to become citizens even if the parents don't.

Jeremy
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And Australian citizens get access to fee-assistance/discount schemes that are closed to PRs (although PRs still pay just domestic fees - not international ones).

A good reason for older teenagers to pursue citizenship even if parents can't be bothered - Australia allows 16-17 year olds to become citizens even if the parents don't.

Jeremy
Don't PRs now have to pay their fees upfront too.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Don't PRs now have to pay their fees upfront too.
That's what I meant. If Australian citizens pay fees upfront, they get a discount. PRs do not.

Or Australian citizens can defer payment.

As noted, teenagers can address this problem by pursuing citizenship independently of parents once they turn 16 and meet the normal requirements. DIMIA usually expect a parent to countersign the application of a 16-17 year old but don't expect the parent also to be a citizenship applicant (or already a citizen).

Jeremy
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
The universities setup the system to give residents of the state slightly better access skewing the access conditions towards that states high school testing system. .
Any idea of how much better access? Significantly? Doesn't this mean that good universities will miss out on the 'best' high school graduates because they are not local?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK
Any idea of how much better access? Significantly? Doesn't this mean that good universities will miss out on the 'best' high school graduates because they are not local?
There are so many courses with different access requirements and different demands. How do you compare HSC results from one state to another and then to international exams? Something like law at Sydney Uni is hard enough to get into in the first place. There are different pass marks for those paying different fee levels so the unis are missing out on the some of the best anyway. The classless society here is a myth.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:11 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to resurrect this one but does anyone know if you have an "Access to Higher Edcuation Certificate" that allows you to start a degree course in the UK, is this accepted over in Oz by the Uni's? Do they prefer A Levels?

I have tried to search this on the Forum but coming up blank.

Thanks in advance.

MMum
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:39 am

Bumping, any takers?

MMum
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:43 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Sorry to resurrect this one but does anyone know if you have an "Access to Higher Edcuation Certificate" that allows you to start a degree course in the UK, is this accepted over in Oz by the Uni's? Do they prefer A Levels?

Thanks in advance.

MMum
From what i have read (NSW) then I would have to say A levels.

If you go to , say, UNSW take a look at the entrance requirements for overseas students(regardless of residency status) and you will see a list of the overseas exams that they will take as equivalent.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:51 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping, any takers?

MMum

If you contact the HE college where you took your Access course they should be able to either
a) give you how many points the course is worth or
b) pass you on or advise you who can give you this advice

Enrollment to Uni is on a points basis ie. 1 A level = so many points

2 A level = so many points etc

Access is worth points i'm still waiting for my access course points, although i have been accepted into a UK uni (part time) and turned down 3 uni places (full time) I originally looked at uni in Oz (as our way in) and was told to apply any way! with a transcript of my course (available from college)

Good luck!!!! hope that helps (sort of any way)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:18 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Access to Australian Universities

Thanks in advance.

MMum
I did an access to Nursing in the Uk in 2003 and have been accepted into a NSW Uni to do a bachelor degree as a mature student. I applied to three and got accepted into two. All depends on the Uni, some do some don't. I e-mailed about 5 to ask and 4 replied positively and said they accept a UK access and just to apply and they will decide from there. Most of the Uni's do their own access course too with no formal admission requirements.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:50 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback.

MMum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.