Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accents going down in Australia

Accents going down in Australia

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

berni is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Accents going down in Australia

Its funny. Australians generally dislike the 'pommy' accent. And british people think the aussie accent is ok but often dislike Australians. Both accents get you laid in America!
Actually having an 'educated' british accent in australia people are often respectful too. They don't speak all slow like the Americans do they really pin it. We gotta start loving each others accents coz in my opinion theyre both quite cool
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:55 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accents going down in Australia

my son is 8 and he has got the women in the shops falling at his feet when he asks for something in his broad Scottish accent...........they think he is so cute and just smile and ask him to say it again...then they go get somebody else......awe go and say that again lol

he ends up sayin awe com oan giz ma rolls am starvin lol
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berni
Its funny. Australians generally dislike the 'pommy' accent. And british people think the aussie accent is ok but often dislike Australians. Both accents get you laid in America!
Actually having an 'educated' british accent in australia people are often respectful too. They don't speak all slow like the Americans do they really pin it. We gotta start loving each others accents coz in my opinion theyre both quite cool
Why do you think Australians dislike the "pommy" accent - not that there is just one, the UK produces many different accents. I am repeatedly being told at work to make sure I keep my accent cos people like it!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

michelle-leicester-perth is on a distinguished road

when i was in perth and wnen i talk to my relos on the phone, i fall into an aussie accent, i find it so easy and feel i sound a lot happier, and i feel happier, dont know why! my husband keeps his accent, and says he allways will, because its his identity. i think maybe i like the accent because thats the identity i want, a happy go lucky aussie chick with no worries, maybe!
well however you speak i guess it what comes out of your mouth in the words rather than the accent that matters. i love accents and could sit and listen to the scottish irish and liverpool accents all day, so if you have one keep it, unless like me , you actually feel better adopting a new one completely!!!
michellex
we want more
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:34 pm
Merlot

My northern accent went a storm and knocked down a lot of barriers, like pollyanna said, I was constantly been asked to repeat things as the Aussie's loved the twang! Never ever had any issues.

M

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:47 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

on our recci trip a few weeks back we met up with an aussie family that we met a few years back and they said some people just seem to drop the english accent straight away and some people even after 20+ years sound like there "fresh of the boat". my wife looked shocked when they both said that she had no chance of loosing it but i would fit in no problem at all.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:52 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by jonni boy
on our recci trip a few weeks back we met up with an aussie family that we met a few years back and they said some people just seem to drop the english accent straight away and some people even after 20+ years sound like there "fresh of the boat". my wife looked shocked when they both said that she had no chance of loosing it but i would fit in no problem at all.
I spent 7 years in Oz, been back to England nearly a year and people say I have an Ozzie twang, more of an inflection at the end of sentences and of course confusing words such as doona for duvet and texta for felt tip, even now.

Yet in Oz I was a dead set Pom to the Ozzies!

M

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:14 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I spent 7 years in Oz, been back to England nearly a year and people say I have an Ozzie twang, more of an inflection at the end of sentences and of course confusing words such as doona for duvet and texta for felt tip, even now.

M
we visited a friends sister who's been over there for about 2 years and they sounded the same as the day they left but there 14 year old daughter sounded pure ozzie to us but she said "the ozzies can pick a pom out a mile away"
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:22 pm
kk7
Just Joined

kk7 is an unknown quantity at this point

M
Same here, in the UK people can always pick up an aussie twang, but aussies always say how strong my british accent is

Joanne
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know where you get the idea, that Australians dont like "pommy" accents. I know it sounds naf, but people are always getting me to repeat things because they like the sound of my sarf london accent. I have even on the odd occassion in a bar have had women tell me my voice is so sexy.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen to me in England, or scotland. Best accent of the lot in my opinion, Is a soft sensual southern irish accent coming from a lady, Closely followed by a Southern belle
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 11:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

M
I get asked constantly by complete stangers how long the boys & I have been living here & when we moved over, didnt know that Dagboys influence had rubbed off that much on me as well
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Could be a load of rubbish but I remember watching a show some time ago when they had a linguist on who said that physically, people don't naturally lose an accent after the age of 11 or 12 (when the brain stops being elastic or something like that), people who lose an accent after that do so as a conscious decision. But I reckon with (what I think is) a strong accent, like Australia or American, it kind of sneaks up on you, not the accent but a word here or there. Perhaps it comes from repeating words 3 or 4 times because when you are saying sleeper, and everyone thinks you are saying slipper, so you end up saying sleeeeeeper. I chat to my dad on the phone and every time without fail he tells me I sound Australian and calls me Sheila
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

What do people think of American accents?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
What do people think of American accents?
One thing to remember, with having an american accent down here is, in bars and restaurants we expect you to tip us. We know its the norm for you, so expect you to just fork it over, even though we make twice, three times what an American makes waiting tables.

When my hubby was out here last year (he's Canadian), I told him to keep his mouth shut and let me do the ordering!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I don't think that the Australians "dislike" an English accent. I often get asked to do message-bank messages at work for people because they love my accent and think I speak very clearly. The only thing they complain about at work is that I sometimes speak too fast When I call my mum she says I sound like an Australian and recently a Kiwi thought I came from NZ, yet an ex-pom at the market thought I came from Dorset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.